Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2013, 11:33 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,153,717 times

Advertisements

Hi, in need of local knowledge please. next Tuesday my wife has an interview in N Atlanta. we are driving from Florida Monday evening (she cant fly) and will be staying on Peachtree Dunwoody. I have the hotel room until 1 and need something to do until 5pm. Much as I would love to visit the MLK center, I am gonna guess they don't allow dogs and I will have our Boston with me (cant be left at home )

so any suggestions what to do for 3-4 hours with mutt in tow ? I will be heading to collect her from The piedmont center and we will then be heading back. mapquest is showing 400 down to I75 right thru the center of the city......is that the best route at 5pm and are we going to hit horrendous traffic anywhere at that time of night ?

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 11:42 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,876,648 times
If your Boston Terrier has a hard-sided carrier, you could take it on MARTA and ride the train to the King Center. You could take the dog to Piedmont Park and let it enjoy the dog park there. Atlanta is a very pet friendly city, so most restaurants with an outdoor patio will allow dogs.
Code of Conduct: http://itsmarta.com/uploadedFiles/Ne...MPHLET-ENG.pdf

Old 11-07-2013, 04:13 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,725,730 times
If you like being outside in the fall, you can head to stone mountain. Technically dogs aren't allowed to climb the mountain(however I've seen people with dogs and nobody bothers them), but they are allowed on the hiking trails around the mountain. It's a really nice park, and a great way to spend a few hours outside if it's a nice day. $10 for parking, everywhere else in the park is free.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:42 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,668,336 times
Here's a link to BringFido.com -- I use it a lot when traveling with our dogs, it's nice to know where the "secret" dog parks are when you're traveling!

Dog Friendly Attractions in Atlanta, GA, US

Brook Run Dog Park up in Dunwoody (about 2 miles north of 285 on Peachtree Road) was recently voted Atlanta's best dog park - large wooded park with walking trails. Head further north and see the $500,000 Newtown Dream dog park that Beneful donated to the new city of Johns Creek when they won a "why we deserve a dog park" contest.

A little-known beautiful spot is the gardens at the Jimmy Carter center downtown. At this time of year, on a nice day, the leaves are lovely, there's a koi pond, a Japanese garden, a rose garden, etc.

Grant Park is a nice park, too, and adjoins Oakland Cemetery, a beautiful historic cemetery with wonderful views.

And yes, the traffic is going to be heavy, but that's the way it is. Where you will be, in Buckhead near Lenox, is a big business office area and starts to feed into the north Atlanta suburbs - lots and lots of traffic. One option would be to just forget Ga.400 and take Peachtree Road/Roswell Road (Rt 19) south through town and pick up I-75 south of the airport. It will be slower (maybe not much slower!), but it would be scenic. Or, better yet, if it's a nice evening, just grab an early dinner on a patio that allows pets and by the time you've finished, the traffic will have died down a bit. :-)

Have fun!

Old 11-08-2013, 04:26 AM

thanks for that link, wow what a great website that is............and thanks for all the other help.

never been to Atlanta (apart from transiting thru) an was hoping to see the sights ,however madam must bring fido !!so our idea of it is limited to the glimpses on that TV show where the realtor (Egypt )shows lots of very nice houses and we keep going 'it looks nice there'....not that we are city people....

Old 11-08-2013, 11:43 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,668,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
thanks for that link, wow what a great website that is............and thanks for all the other help.

never been to Atlanta (apart from transiting thru) an was hoping to see the sights ,however madam must bring fido !!so our idea of it is limited to the glimpses on that TV show where the realtor (Egypt )shows lots of very nice houses and we keep going 'it looks nice there'....not that we are city people....
You know, Atlanta has a LOT of "doggie day care" places that might do the trick for you, so you can park Fido for the day and do some non-canine touring. Two that are close to your hotel and her office are Barking Hound Village Barking Hound Village - Buckhead, and Pupcakes Playcare, Buckhead Atlanta small dog daycare, small dog boarding, dog grooming – Pupcakes Playcare Just get Fido's vaccination records (make sure bordatella is up to date) from your vet and call and make a reservation (you could even have the vet fax/email the records directly to whomever you decide to go with.)

Egypt Sherrod does "Property Virgins" -- we had clients that were on the show a couple of years ago, it was a fun experience for them and an interesting "behind the scenes" experience for us. But with as much filming as is going on around Atlanta, you're bound to run into something being filmed somewhere. "Fast and Furious 7" is currently in production around town, and "The Vampire Diaries" is filming in nearby Covington. "The Walking Dead" also films in small towns outside of Atlanta, such as Newnan.

Old 11-09-2013, 07:27 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,140,627 times
Yeah, at 5 pm heading through the heart of Atlanta, you will encounter massive traffic on the connector, but the skyline is definitely a sight to see.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:22 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,777,056 times
Atlanta of Atlanta's growth has occurred north of the city in the last two decades. You will be staying in an area with many businesses and hotels.

One consequence of this is the drive -into- the city from the northside gets heavy in the afternoon rush hour. There isn't a great reverse-commute advantage, especially after I-85, GA400, and I-75 merge into one.

Yet... it is probably still the best route for you.

Old 11-10-2013, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
You know, Atlanta has a LOT of "doggie day care" places that might do the trick for you, so you can park Fido for the day and do some non-canine touring. Two that are close to your hotel and her office are Barking Hound Village Barking Hound Village - Buckhead, and Pupcakes Playcare, Buckhead Atlanta small dog daycare, small dog boarding, dog grooming – Pupcakes Playcare Just get Fido's vaccination records (make sure bordatella is up to date) from your vet and call and make a reservation (you could even have the vet fax/email the records directly to whomever you decide to go with.)

you haven't met my wife !!! the reason we are taking fido 3 (leaving the big and middle one behind) is so he isn't left 'alone' at home (even though a friend is coming in every 3-4 hours) ...so 'dumping' him when we get there would not earn me any points

Old 11-10-2013, 06:50 AM

I'm sure one of the parks will amuse the two of us for 3 hours, Atlanta looks a beautiful city but really my no 1 choice would have been to visit the MLK center...ah well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta