Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2013, 04:29 PM

5 posts, read 15,950 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Atlanta suburbs (looking at Marietta, Roswell, & Alpharetta) this summer from a Dallas Suburb (Coppell) that has highly rated schools (9 & 10 on Great Schools.org website). My husband will be commuting to Buckhead for work ~ 3 days per week & the airport regularly (he also works from home some days). I am primarily looking at Cobb County & Fulton County schools at this time and because we have a few months before we actually need to purchase a home, I am researching possibilities ad nauseam. My apologies if a thread like this has already been started, I have searched and haven't been able to find one that totally meets what I'm looking for. Please feel free to share the link if it already does.

I have already posted an identical post to this but focused on Cobb County schools in Marietta & Roswell but feedback on that thread advised that I also include schools in Fulton County so I've researched these and come up with a list that seems to fit with what we're looking for.

This is the list I've come up with so far of the schools in Fulton County that we are interested in our children attending (will be 6th grade & 1st grade next year) with the neighborhoods that feed to them that are swim/tennis neighborhoods. I have also included which middle schools and high schools that the elementary schools feed to (as some elementary schools feed to more than one middle school and some middle schools feed to more than one high school) Our price range is between $350K - $450K depending on the amount of updates needed. I really prefer the traditional homes and stucco although I've read if we go stucco, we need to only consider hard coat. My husband isn't a fan of contemporary style or homes built pre 1980. I make no guarantees this list is 100% correct but to the best of my research abilities this is what I've come up with.

Also, it seems difficult to find reviews/info on Cambridge HS. Any feedback on this school?

We are looking for a family friendly and active HOA type of community that will allow our children to have opportunities to meet friends over the summer (we'll move in June). We made a trip last weekend to look at various neighborhoods that feed to schoools in Cobb County (Dickerson and Dodgen middle schools) and there were definitely some that had lots of Halloween decorations out and some that didn't and the size of the area where the swimming pool, tennis courts, and clubhouse definitely varied too depending on the subdivision. This was kinda what I was used to gauge the number of children living in the neighborhood.

It's a very long list but if anyone is able to scan through, even part of it and point out any that you think either meets our criteria or doesn't or possibly might, I'd love your input.

Abbotts Hill ES -> Taylor Rd MS -> Chattahoochee HS
Neighborhoods - The Estates at Wellington, Westbury

Alpharetta Elementary School -> Northwestern MS -> Milton HS or Cambridge HS
Neighboorhoods - Spences Field

Crabapple Crossing ES -> Northwestern MS -> Milton HS OR Cambridge HS
Neighboorhoods - Brierfield, Crabapple Crossroads (appears only swim, no tennis), North Farm, Waterside

Creek View ES -> Webb Bridge MS -> Chattahoochee HS OR Alpharetta HS
Neighboorhoods?

Lake Windward ES -> Webb Bridge MS -> Chattahoochee HS OR Alpharetta HS
Neighborhoods ?

New Prospect ES -> Webb Bridge MS -> Chattahoochee HS ? OR Alpharetta HS
Neighborhoods ?

Ocee ES -> Taylor Rd MS -> Chattahoochee HS OR Webb Bridge MS -> Chattahoochee HS OR Webb Bridge MS -> Alpharetta HS
Neighborhoods - Tuxford

Summit Hill ES -> Northwestern MS -> Milton HS or Cambridge HS OR Hopewell MS -> Cambridge HS Neighborhoods - Providence Plantation

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 04:54 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
I'm familiar with many of the neighborhoods you've listed, but not all. Most of them are older homes, and some of them are on rather small lots without a lot of frontage. Tuxford and Waterside fit that description.

There is a neighborhood built around Lake Windward that is nice. I suspect the price points might be a bit higher than you are looking to spend.

Providence Plantation is also older, but the homes are on acre + lots, and many have been updated. You would definitely get some bang for your buck housing wise, and there are stucco properties, but it does not have a swim-tennis option.. TBH, I didn't think Waterside did either?

Providence Lake is right across the street from Providence Plantation, and does have swim/tennis. Homes are priced higher. Both neighborhoods are in Milton, although the mailing address tends to default to Alpharetta.

One neighborhood you might want to explore is Edenwilde in Roswell. They have the amenities you want, a good range of different housing and the commute to 400-Holcomb Bridge would be easy. They are currently zoned for Milton high school.

Milton High is a terrific school. I've heard good things about Cambridge too, but it's only been open a year, so the ratings haven't shown up on the various sites.

ETA: I just realized I confused you with another poster. So, while you aren't commuting to Holcomb Bridge and 400, you still might like Edenwilde.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:58 PM

5 posts, read 15,950 times
Mattie, thank you so much!!! Will look in to those. I don't have the best method to check out places - basically pulling up all houses for sale or in contract pending status on realtor website and checking to see what schools they feed to and looking up schools on great schools.or and reading parent ratings/reviews as well as test scores. Thanks again!!! Exactly the kind of response I was hoping to get :0)

Old 11-01-2013, 05:08 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
All the schools, you listed are going to be good/excellent . A minor difference in test scores will not make too much difference.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:10 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
I should clarify, Waterside is not older housing stock, I was talking about the small lots.

Brierfield is a nice mix of (older)housing, and does have the pool complex.

Crabapple Crossroads is currently still building. It is the the middle of everything, which can be a plus or a minus. Local traffic is heavy there due to the nearby schools and the fact that it is between two major thoroughfares.

The schools you are considering are all fine. Some are newer than others, but don't go by outward appearances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta