Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 01:17 PM

2,092 posts, read 3,224,618 times

Advertisements

"Preliminary concepts for the Virginia-Highland Master Plan are now online at vahimasterplan.org. The 14 conceptual plans and renderings were generated after a master plan charrette on Nov. 12. Public comment on the plans is open on the website until Jan. 3..."

Full Story: Virginia-Highland Master Plan concepts now online - Atlanta INtown Paper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 01:28 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
They are committed to improving bike infrastructure on all these plans.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:31 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,875,645 times
Looks like good stuff. Any word on funding / or time-line to build it out once the master plan is approved?

Old 11-25-2013, 01:36 PM

2,092 posts, read 3,224,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Looks like good stuff. Any word on funding / or time-line to build it out once the master plan is approved?
I have not heard any word on funding or timeline yet. I think additional information will be posted on the website in January.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:44 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
My guess is that in order to get funding it probably helps to have a master plan in place.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:52 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,773,285 times
I like the idea of the round about at Park and Monroe - but I was just in the Emory Village one this weekend and thought that was quite confusing. I have been through better roundabouts.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:50 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
I like the idea of the round about at Park and Monroe - but I was just in the Emory Village one this weekend and thought that was quite confusing. I have been through better roundabouts.
I wonder if they could get by with something like the one at Pelham and N. Morningside?

https://www.google.com/maps/preview#...AmTQ!2e0&fid=5

Old 11-25-2013, 07:53 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,875,132 times
i like the road diet on monroe— i wish they could dig up the asphault and use the brick street underneath, like the ones on cresthill and cooledge. the only problem is that they are terribly bumpy, so while it's a great substitute for road humps on residential streets, it could potentially be a disaster on monroe, haha.

i don't know about the traffic circle on monroe. that seems like a bad idea, imo.

edited: looked at the rest of the plan; they sure do like those bulbouts, don't they? i hope this doesn't mean the removal of the brick street on cooledge. about the 10th/monroe/virginia connection, i'm not sure if i like that or not. i think 10th ought to connect to virginia and kanuga should probably be eliminated. the virginia avenue bridge is going to have to be rebuilt anyway to accomodate the beltline's transit portion; why not hit two birds with one stone and connect 10th and virginia with a new bridge that has beltline access and a pretty arched/tiled underside for the beltline? that would be really cool.

Last edited by bryantm3; 11-25-2013 at 08:02 PM..

Old 11-26-2013, 09:41 AM

283 posts, read 360,593 times
Am I the only one that thinks a road diet isn't a good idea? I'm not saying an expansion is needed here, but reduction doesn't seem to work for this area in my mind.

I feel like Atlantans need to understand that this is a commuter city - we rely on cars. If we're going to start taking away roads, then we need to have an alternative. Maybe I'm missing something here, but there doesn't seem to be any other transportation alternatives in this area and until everyone goes a buys a bike, I still see people relying on cars.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:58 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrickNet View Post
Am I the only one that thinks a road diet isn't a good idea? I'm not saying an expansion is needed here, but reduction doesn't seem to work for this area in my mind.

I feel like Atlantans need to understand that this is a commuter city - we rely on cars. If we're going to start taking away roads, then we need to have an alternative. Maybe I'm missing something here, but there doesn't seem to be any other transportation alternatives in this area and until everyone goes a buys a bike, I still see people relying on cars.
Metro Atlanta is a commuter region, the city is trying to develop and encourage alternate commutes. That's why road diets, bike paths, bike lanes, etc are a great idea. The city s spending $2.5M on bike infrastructure. If cars want a nice, wide road to travel north-south on, there is the downtown connector, Spring St. West Peachtree, Juniper, and Piedmont to use as alternatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta