Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 07:31 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,159,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I disagree. South Fulton, South Dekalb and North Fulton have been paying into this system for 40-50 years. Where are their rail lines? Would anyone be naive enough in any other county to believe that they wouldn't have to pay into this system even longer before they saw the first shovel full of dirt turned?

Perhaps if Marta was a massive success, covered Fulton and DeKalb the way older cities' transit systems cover them, these other counties would be begging to come in. But that ain't the scenario.
Who said it had to be rail? Clayton could get by with bus only service in the meantime.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:21 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,877,894 times
This is an example of why we need to get away from funding transportation with taxes. We are never going to be able to bring MARTA rail to every tax payers front door. Nor will we have a superhighway to everywhere. Both should be funded by user fees and run semi-privately so they will expand to where it will benefit the most people (draw the most paying customers).

Old 02-08-2014, 10:05 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
This is an example of why we need to get away from funding transportation with taxes. We are never going to be able to bring MARTA rail to every tax payers front door. Nor will we have a superhighway to everywhere. Both should be funded by user fees and run semi-privately so they will expand to where it will benefit the most people (draw the most paying customers).
You like the user fee idea, we take it. It will simply just not work in our society / economy.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:12 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Who said it had to be rail? Clayton could get by with bus only service in the meantime.
Good point. Often we talk about MARTA if it were simply the rail lines, but in fact they have a modern and very extensive bus system.

I like the idea of extending transit via bus, as it is vastly cheaper, faster and more flexible. Bus lines also sets patterns of travel. Once the ridership is built up, it may make sense convert to rail, but we have to walk before we can run.

Old 02-08-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Good point. Often we talk about MARTA if it were simply the rail lines, but in fact they have a modern and very extensive bus system.

I like the idea of extending transit via bus, as it is vastly cheaper, faster and more flexible. Bus lines also sets patterns of travel. Once the ridership is built up, it may make sense convert to rail, but we have to walk before we can run.
Yup. Bus routes are phenomenally easier to set up, change, and remove. Considerably more time would have to be put into rail expansion (but that's not to say that that shouldn't eventually happen).

Old 02-09-2014, 01:46 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,527,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I'm not sure I agree with the premise that suburbia is dying, though I do think it is being redefined in some ways. I do, however somewhat agree with post 57:

I do think Atlanta is sorely in need of adequate public transportation. But I don't see it happening within 50 years.

In NYC and in Chicago even in the burbs and outlying areas are somewhat accessible via public transit. Not as familiar with NYC but Chicago has an excellent train system that I do feel would be beneficial for Atlanta to look at repeating here. It would be easier to build since the density found in Chicago is not in Atlanta where there are large swaths of land. Center lanes could be made on all the freeways here and train stations could be built to mirror 75, 85, 20, and even 285 so that people would be able to get to the actual places they need to go.

I live near 3 Marta stations and even though I do like MARTA, I feel it is an elementary sort of transit authority, like it is at the kindergarten level and needs to add additional grades instead of just focusing on small areas. I do feel the state would have to make it mandatory and make the counties who are hesitant, participate. Cobb and Gwinnet should be the primary targets, as well as southern counties like Clayton and Henry.
Clayton and Cobb definitely need it, BUT its not going to happen in Cobb. Cobb doesnt want anyone who lives on the westside or southside having access to its lilywhite county of beauty and perfection.

Old 02-09-2014, 02:34 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,195,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
Clayton and Cobb definitely need it, BUT its not going to happen in Cobb. Cobb doesnt want anyone who lives on the westside or southside having access to its lilywhite county of beauty and perfection.
WTF are you talking about? What "lilywhite county" are you talking about? If you've ever been to Cobb County, which I now doubt, you'd know that it's anything but lily white, and you'd know that CCT already has intra and inter county bus service, just not on the same scale as MARTA.

Again, people can differ about approaches and solutions, but I can't stomach people who invent facts and discuss from ignorance of reality.

Old 02-09-2014, 02:37 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,747,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
Clayton and Cobb definitely need it, BUT its not going to happen in Cobb. Cobb doesnt want anyone who lives on the westside or southside having access to its lilywhite county of beauty and perfection
Wonder what kind of stuff their smoking?

Old 02-09-2014, 08:31 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,877,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
You like the user fee idea, we take it. It will simply just not work in our society / economy.
This is not correct. It is the norm throughout the world and history. Including here in the US. And were are heading back that way. Congress will be forced to up the gas tax to keep the Highway fund viable and HOT lanes are on the rise. PPPs are become key in new transit and private transit like bus lines that run on Buford Highway will grow.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
This is not correct. It is the norm throughout the world and history. Including here in the US. And were are heading back that way. Congress will be forced to up the gas tax to keep the Highway fund viable and HOT lanes are on the rise. PPPs are become key in new transit and private transit like bus lines that run on Buford Highway will grow.
PPPs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta