Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 06:52 PM

29 posts, read 34,310 times

Advertisements

This is my first winter in Georgia, so I genuinely don't know!

Schools are cancelled, work stops.... Does everyone get paid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 06:57 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,048,359 times
Generally if your a salaried employee you do. If your on commission obviously you do not, hourly employee may or may not. But many salaried employees are still working from home, if not its the give and take of the job. You work 50 hours in a week or a Saturday and don't get paid extra, maybe you get a little extra time here

Old 02-11-2014, 08:11 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,773,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof2girls2013 View Post

This varies widely by company. Typically an hourly worker does not get paid unless they can work remotely.

At my company, a salaried person that can work remotely would get paid (limited number of individuals) - most salaried persons would be expected to take a personal day.

Salaried individuals are paid for the job and not specific to the hours they work. However, companies can have PTO policies that dictate when personal time is recorded.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:19 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
If the site is closed, everyone gets paid, (It was closed tues / Wed (so far)).
Salary workers are expected to work from home (most of us have laptops). Hourly will get paid there normal amount.

If the site is not closed,
1. Work it out with your boss. (Many are out of state). (Work from home).
2. Take a personal Day / Vacation day.
3. Make up the time.

Only ones on site Today/Tomorrow, are 6 people, and they were told Sunday they might be there till Thr/Fri.
2 from Security, 2 from building operations, 2 IS staff.

We have cots, food, etc Pre-staged so 12 people can be 'trapped' in the office for 7 days.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:28 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,527,077 times
Some do some dont.

oh the world owes us a living.......

Old 02-11-2014, 08:34 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,166,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof2girls2013 View Post

Depends entirely on company policy and pay classification.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:55 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times
In my company, absolutely.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:10 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,822,569 times
For my company, yes as well. I'm not sure if there is a difference in the treatment of salaried versus hourly employees, but I would certainly hope everybody gets paid if for no other reason than to keep the peace.

I have not heard of a Georgia law that governs it one way or the other.

I know that some school systems have extra days beyond what is required included in the school year for inclement weather, but there are so many systems here, I would not know where to begin to look for who did what. I suppose the ones that are not extending the school year planned for it.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:49 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,773,938 times
[quote=ElleKaye;33433189]

I have not heard of a Georgia law that governs it one way or the other [quote]

There are Federal laws that govern how salaried vs hourly employees are paid. To the best of my knowledge there are no specific rules as to whether employees get paid if the business must close for a day.

For short periods like snow/ice days the decision to pay people is up to the company. For major periods (ie Fire/Hurricane) a business would likely carry business interruption insurance which typically only covers the salaries of the key individuals that must be retained to get the business back up and running. All other employees are immediately furloughed or terminated.

I would doubt that Georgia would have any state laws that are more restrictive than Federal laws

Old 02-11-2014, 10:05 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,822,569 times
[quote=lorilove;33433584][quote=ElleKaye;33433189]

I have not heard of a Georgia law that governs it one way or the other
Quote:

There are Federal laws that govern how salaried vs hourly employees are paid. To the best of my knowledge there are no specific rules as to whether employees get paid if the business must close for a day.

For short periods like snow/ice days the decision to pay people is up to the company. For major periods (ie Fire/Hurricane) a business would likely carry business interruption insurance which typically only covers the salaries of the key individuals that must be retained to get the business back up and running. All other employees are immediately furloughed or terminated.

I would doubt that Georgia would have any state laws that are more restrictive than Federal laws
The bold part is what I was trying to say, but also that I'm not sure whether my company treats paying salaried and hourly workers the same way when a business has to close under these circumstances.

I mean I can say with some confidence that consultants for my company would be SOL right now, but I think salaried and hourly employees should to be treated the same regarding payment in this situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta