Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 01:36 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,114,938 times

Advertisements

She will be having surgery in the next few weeks and she lives in a 3 floor walk up. I told her to hire a firefighter to carry her up the stairs and she laughed at me. She said her boyfriend can press 120lbs (she weighs 110) and he can carry her up the stairs. That is ridiculous. Even if he can, which I doubt, he can't walk up 3 flights of stairs carrying her.

I'm sick with worry. Surely there must be a service in Atlanta which carries folks up stairs post op?
We've suggested we pay for a motel room for them to stay in for a few days and her daddy or I will fly up to take the next shift if needed. She's having a growth removed from her adrenal glad.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 01:37 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,036,928 times
Can't tell if serious......

Old 09-10-2014, 01:41 PM

37,119 posts, read 41,299,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
She will be having surgery in the next few weeks and she lives in a 3 floor walk up. I told her to hire a firefighter to carry her up the stairs and she laughed at me. She said her boyfriend can press 120lbs (she weighs 110) and he can carry her up the stairs. That is ridiculous. Even if he can, which I doubt, he can't walk up 3 flights of stairs carrying her.

I'm sick with worry. Surely there must be a service in Atlanta which carries folks up stairs post op?
We've suggested we pay for a motel room for them to stay in for a few days and her daddy or I will fly up to take the next shift if needed. She's having a growth removed from her adrenal glad.

Any suggestions?
She will be able to walk up stairs on her own. She may be uncomfortable, but it will not harm her to do so.

Old 09-10-2014, 01:48 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,304,122 times
Piggy back ride?

Old 09-10-2014, 01:52 PM

1,236 posts, read 1,400,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post

Any suggestions?
I think you're panicking unnecessarily. Her adrenal gland? Her lower body will not be affected, so she will need minimal assistance, like maybe an arm or someone to lean on as she walks up. I had several fibroids removed in a 4 1/2 surgery last year, with plenty of post-op discomfort and a dressing to my abdomen, and I walked up two flights of stairs the next day with no problem except a bit of fatigue; albeit very slowly. I mean, unless she leaves the hospital comatose on pain meds, I don't see a problem.

And just so you know, you CAN call 911, and the fire department will come and help her up the stairs, but I highly doubt this will be necessary. I've been a nurse for about 7 years, and I'm telling you, she'll be just fine.

Old 09-10-2014, 01:54 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,114,938 times
Yes it is serious. I've had plenty of surgeries and never would have been able to climb 3 flights of stairs. This isn't microscopic surgery. The growth is quite large so regular surgery is in order. I'm not sure about how well she can climb the stairs.

Well I feel better knowing from a nurse she will probably be able to maneuver the stairs herself and if she can't 911 will help. I'm a mother- I'm supposed to worry...

Old 09-10-2014, 02:07 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,862,024 times
I'm not trying to be snarky here. When I was on bedrest for preeclampsia and had to go up the stairs, the doctor told me to sit on the stairs and scoot my way up. Worked just fine. It would take a while, but would work fine.

Old 09-10-2014, 02:14 PM

1,236 posts, read 1,400,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
I'm not trying to be snarky here. When I was on bedrest for preeclampsia and had to go up the stairs, the doctor told me to sit on the stairs and scoot my way up. Worked just fine. It would take a while, but would work fine.
CMMom, this is an excellent idea! Or, taking a few stairs at a time and stopping to rest every 4 or 5 stairs.

Old 09-10-2014, 02:14 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,780,042 times
Is this in an apartment?

If so, it might be worth having a conversation with the leasing office. There might be an affordable way to move to a ground floor... or at least a 1st floor unit at a low cost and keep the existing lease.

That will vary depending on the management company and availability.

A move would be a big hassle, but it is something you and some friends could do.

Old 09-10-2014, 02:22 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,552,465 times
maybe she can stay with you until she's better
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: