Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 12:58 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times

Advertisements

I was edging out back this morning and it occurred to me what may be at the root of this problem with Millennials and their obsession with density and walkability.

Once you peel away the layers, it’s just plain old lawnophobia. It’s as if they hate grass, lawnmowers, weed whackers, sprinklers, fertilizer spreaders and everything associated with the process of maintaining a nice lawn.

Instead of spending a few hours of honest labor enhancing the natural environment, they’d rather walk down a crowded 12 foot wide artificial path where you can barely get by without bumping elbows or being run over by a bicycle.

So I think that’s it. Maybe these young folks were traumatized by their fathers yelling at them to get out there and mow the grass and if that’s what happened my generation bears some responsibility. All I can say is we were a product of our fathers yelling at us, too.

In any event that was long ago. Yet now it seems like we’re being forced to reshape our entire society as a result of this irrational fear.

Frankly I don’t see an easy way out.

Old 04-26-2014, 01:12 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,115,130 times
Arjay, I did get a chuckle out of this. And yes, I did get pressed into service when it was my turn to mow the lawn growing up.
The amount of lawn remaining in our SSI yard is pretty small, so we use an old fashioned push blade mower to do it. Very 'sustainable', as they say.

Old 04-26-2014, 01:27 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,161,287 times
Arjay...brother...let me let you in on a little secret:

Faux News talking points are bad for your health. Just thought you'd like to know.

Old 04-26-2014, 01:35 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,631,970 times
lol

I like having a decent lawn, but it does suck away time and money I'd rather spend elsewhere. Not afraid of it, just occasionally annoyed by it, like now, since I have to go buy grass seed to cover a few dead spots. Not too surprising that lawn care isn't a priority for younger generations.

Way to find a new dimension for your elbow room argument. Keep up the good work.

Old 04-26-2014, 01:36 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,775,133 times
I disagree - most millennials that I know rarely if ever mowed the grass. I am a very late baby boomer and love yard work but also love density and walkability.

My nephew and niece are both millennials and their comments are that they saw their parents stress out about the cost and effort about the upkeep of a big house and a big yard - they also saw how much time their parents wasted in traffic just for that big house and big yard. They don't get it - the stress is not worth it. They want a simpler life and don't need to bigger and better house.

They are both smart hard working = millennials just value their time differently than their parents.

Old 04-26-2014, 01:51 PM

1,164 posts, read 1,266,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
My nephew and niece are both millennials and their comments are that they saw their parents stress out about the cost and effort about the upkeep of a big house and a big yard - they also saw how much time their parents wasted in traffic just for that big house and big yard. They don't get it - the stress is not worth it. They want a simpler life and don't need to bigger and better house.
I wonder how many Boomer and GenX parents would have chosen differently if they weren't under the (apparently inaccurate) impression that their (apparently down-to-earth) millennial children didn't feel entitled to a big house with their own rooms, own bathrooms and a big yard to play in?

Alternatively, I suppose it's possible that millennials did feel entitled to these things as children, but now that at least some of them have moved out of their parents' house, they "don't see the point."

It will be interesting to see what the preferences of the millennnials' children are. I don't have children myself, but those I've known have all seemed to favor yards, swingsets, playrooms and minivans over urban density and street-level retail. They probably just don't know any better.

Old 04-26-2014, 01:58 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,115,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
I disagree - most millennials that I know rarely if ever mowed the grass. I am a very late baby boomer and love yard work but also love density and walkability.

They are both smart hard working = millennials just value their time differently than their parents.
Interesting point, indeed LL. I rather remember it being a bit of a competition between families in my neighborhood. I still see 'Lawn of the Month' signs in subdivisions.

Old 04-26-2014, 02:15 PM

396 posts, read 601,878 times
i'll admit it - i took care of my parents lawn as soon as i was old enough to push a mower, and still help out sometimes to this day when i visit my folks in the burbs at 30. i'd rather share a lawn as a park instead of spending precious time dealing with my own.

Old 04-26-2014, 02:19 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times
I hope nobody is too upset.

I feel like I've gone out on a limb to even mention the L word.

Old 04-26-2014, 02:21 PM

6 posts, read 8,898 times
I don't want a large suburban house for the fact I don't want to travel 30 minutes+ in a car every day for 30 years. I have done it in the past and hope to not have to again for many years. That said, cities are getting more and more expensive to live in, so it may become more and more difficult to manage living in close proximity to everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta