Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2014, 02:20 PM

5 posts, read 4,406 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I would like some input that can help my family and I choose a great location to live. As with any family we are looking for safe, diverse, and family oriented neighborhoods. From reading threads in the past its seems everyone recommends living as close to work as possible. With that said I am in Logistics and my wife is an RN so anywhere within a 15-30min drive of a great hospital for my wife would be ideal. I wouldn't mind a 30-40 min commute . From what I gather there a many logistics positions in south Atlanta. The most important things for us is a great neighborhood and school for our kids(elementary). We don't mind driving for everything else as this will give us an opportunity to explore the area. We have narrowed down our choices to three counties Henry, Fulton, and Cobb. As a bonus we would like a neighborhood with a "woodsy" feel similar to the homes in Lake Spivey. We visited and fell in love with the ambiance but don't have a million dollar budget.Our price range is 350-500k. Your suggestion will give us an idea of where to visit next month to get a feel of the area(s).Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 03:08 PM

744 posts, read 2,483,560 times
Take a look into Peachtree City .

Old 06-14-2014, 03:56 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,511,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Change_of_Pace View Post
Hello everyone, I would like some input that can help my family and I choose a great location to live. As with any family we are looking for safe, diverse, and family oriented neighborhoods. From reading threads in the past its seems everyone recommends living as close to work as possible. With that said I am in Logistics and my wife is an RN so anywhere within a 15-30min drive of a great hospital for my wife would be ideal. I wouldn't mind a 30-40 min commute . From what I gather there a many logistics positions in south Atlanta. The most important things for us is a great neighborhood and school for our kids(elementary). We don't mind driving for everything else as this will give us an opportunity to explore the area. We have narrowed down our choices to three counties Henry, Fulton, and Cobb. As a bonus we would like a neighborhood with a "woodsy" feel similar to the homes in Lake Spivey. We visited and fell in love with the ambiance but don't have a million dollar budget.Our price range is 350-500k. Your suggestion will give us an idea of where to visit next month to get a feel of the area(s).Thank you in advance.
Your best move would be for both you and your wife first get hired to jobs in metro Atlanta before targeting areas to move to.

...That's because neither you or your wife seem to know where you will be working at this point.

By first getting hired to jobs before searching where to live, you will know where you will need to search for housing in regards to the location of the jobs that you have been hired to.

Searching for housing without first knowing where you will be working is extremely-risky because you may not necessarily know if you will be able to get hired to a job near where you have chosen to live.

You may choose to live in South Metro Atlanta and end up getting hired to jobs in North Metro Atlanta because either no jobs in South Metro Atlanta were hiring or the jobs in South Metro Atlanta were not necessarily the kind of jobs that you were looking for.

...Which is why we often tell people to GET THE JOB FIRST THEN LOOK FOR HOUSING NEAR WHERE YOU WILL BE WORKING....Because you may not know exactly know where you will be working if first you look for housing without first knowing where you will be working.

Also, with most of the region's development, population and employment being on the north side of the Atlanta region above the Interstate 20 dividing line between north and south, it is very-difficult and extremely-unwise to rule-out North Metro Atlanta for employment opportunities when most of the employment opportunities in the Atlanta region are on the Northside (...there are also very-many logistics positions in North Metro, East Metro and West Metro Atlanta).

Focus on searching for suitable employment then look for a new home later after you and your wife both know where your jobs will be located.

Old 06-14-2014, 11:58 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,780,501 times
We need more criteria. How many square feet do you need. Do your kids go to private or public? Etc.

As Born 2 Roll said, don't move here until you have a job. Ultimately, we can give you ideas but you'll need to narrow them down based on where you find your job, or narrow down job choices based on the areas you like. Believe it or not, a 30-40 min commute is short for metro Atlanta, so it won't give you a huge radius from where you line up your job. Pick the wrong place without a job, and you could end up with a horrendous commute when you actually land one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: