Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 07:52 AM

3 posts, read 8,178 times

Advertisements

My family and I are considering moving from the Buckhead/ Brookhaven area out to the burbs. We are concentrating mostly on North Fulton (Milton, Johns Creek) and possibly South Forsyth. We have elementary age children, and we will be doing public schools through high school. I'd love to hear any feedback on these areas and which you think is best and why? We want a good school system (obviously) but we also don't want a pressure cooker type school - we would rather have a well-rounded school than one that solely focusses on test scores, etc... We also want to have a decent size yard and definitely want swim, tennis, possibly golf neighborhood. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 12:48 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,944,452 times
Milton and John's Creek have more similarities than differences. They both have similar family income averages, great schools, and lots of beautiful developments. Personally, I far prefer Milton, where you can drive 10 minutes to find what you need instead of sitting in the traffic of JC. You know Northview is a competitive high school, correct? I am hearing complaints from Milton parents that their kids are too stressed also. But, I had two recent graduates at Milton, and didn't find that to be the case. I tend to think the "stress" is caused by family expectations, and a desire to get into a college of choice, which always ends up boiling down to UGA, Tech, or out-of-state.

South Forsyth has a wider range of price points. I know two young couples who recently married and bought homes there, and got swim/tennis facilities with homes under $300,000. Those don't exist in Milton, and I don't think there are many, if any in JC either. But, the schools are also well regarded in South Forsyth.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:24 PM

12 posts, read 21,942 times
I am a Northview Alum. Of the 3 you listed, I would vote for Milton HS. Seems like the best overall school and location. Johns Creek High School gave me too much of a snobby rich kid vibe. South Forsyth HS is okay... But there are a lot of slightly better schools in the Johns Creek, Alpharetta Area. Lambert is a decent up and coming school. Chattahoochee is great as well. Northview is one of if not the most competitive and well regarded High School in the state of Georgia, but it would probably be better to send your children to a high school with great education but also with a lot less headaches and pressure. I enjoyed my time at Northview, but there were kids with a 90+ average who did not crack the top 50% of a class of 400+.

Last edited by Persian Atlantan; 04-21-2014 at 02:53 PM..

Old 04-21-2014, 01:44 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,812,003 times
Don't forget Milton also has the new Cambridge High School.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:46 AM

3 posts, read 8,178 times
My only hold-up with Milton is feeling far away from the normal everyday places (like Target, Publix, Whole Foods, etc...). Do any of you that live in the Milton area find that difficult? I may just not be familiar enough with the area to know where things really are. John's Creek I know has all of that accessible, but as someone mentioned the traffic seems pretty congested in that area.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:34 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,996,996 times
Milton, has a Target, Walmart, Kroger's, Publix, WholeFoods, HomeDepo, Lowes all in / around the Windward /GA9 Area.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:36 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,812,003 times
And in October, the first phase of Avalon opens which will include restaurants, movie theater, Whole Foods, LuLuLemon (just had to get than one in there) as well as numerous other stores and services. Don't forget Costco off of Windward and Sam's Club off Mansell.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:14 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,944,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABNGEORGIA View Post
My only hold-up with Milton is feeling far away from the normal everyday places (like Target, Publix, Whole Foods, etc...). Do any of you that live in the Milton area find that difficult? I may just not be familiar enough with the area to know where things really are. John's Creek I know has all of that accessible, but as someone mentioned the traffic seems pretty congested in that area.
It literally takes all of ten minutes to get to those stores. There is little, if any, traffic in Milton beyond the roads schools are on, and then, it's only during start and dismissal times. JC has traffic all day long.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:22 PM

4,046 posts, read 2,130,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persian Atlantan View Post
I am a Northview Alum. Of the 3 you listed, I would vote for Milton HS. Seems like the best overall school and location. Johns Creek High School gave me too much of a snobby rich kid vibe. South Forsyth HS is okay... But there are a lot of slightly better schools in the Johns Creek, Alpharetta Area. Lambert is a decent up and coming school. Chattahoochee is great as well. Northview is one of if not the most competitive and well regarded High School in the state of Georgia, but it would probably be better to send your children to a high school with great education but also with a lot less headaches and pressure. I enjoyed my time at Northview, but there were kids with a 90+ average who did not crack the top 50% of a class of 400+.
PersianAtlanta, I love that you didn't buy into snobby rich kid stuff! I just started my own thread about today's AJC article about how supposedly every student at Northview has at least a 70 GPA...

Old 07-04-2014, 08:14 AM

91 posts, read 152,132 times
The schools at the elementary level are good as well in the milton and JC areas? I am interested in buying in one of these areas. We need access to the perimeter mall area as well as the 285 exit towards tucker for work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta