Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 09:29 PM

296 posts, read 439,452 times

Advertisements

So guys, I've been researching used vehicles on the internet mainly (using CL) with an objective of buying it off a private seller. However, over the full week and after seeing more than 20 "private" sales, I've come to a conclusion that private sales are either not being advertised online or not happening for a price point of $5k or lower.

95% of the vehicles I've seen turned out to be "brokers" who bought the cars at auction or through car max and are onselling them.

Another challenge is to find a decent vehicle for a good price and with acceptable miles. What I've observed however is that high miles don't seem to be working as a bargain in most situations. I'm using Edmunds used vehicle assessment as a estimate and I'm finding that all of these vehicles have been priced way higher than what Edmunds values them for.

I made 3 offers so far and 2 were flat out refusals despite me highligting the issues with the vehicles - tires needing replacement, jack missing, spare tire missing, rips in seats, scratches and dings as well as broken bumper cover and ofcourse high miles, but none of that worked. One was willing to come down a little but not all that much.

e.g. a 2008 Sonata 185 miles with a broken bumper cover going for 4800 by a small time dealer in my eyes and as per Edmunds is valued at 4100 with average condition. taking out the broken bumper cover repair and 3 tires that need replacement I offered $3300 - a flat no.

Am I being unreasonable here? Previously, whenever I looked at vehicles and attempted to negotiate in a different city -there were plenty of private sales available as well as negotiations possible for genuine reasons. Here in ATL, it seems my approach is pretty much ineffective.

Could the locals please reflect on whether you think I'm being unreasonable and a way to find private deals and negotiation tips?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 05:40 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,823,194 times
What's the reason that you insist on using a private dealer? Why not just try Carmax or one of the auctions?

There's an auction place in Clayton County, and I'm sorry but I cannot remember the name of it, but it's on the service road right off Tara Blvd in Jonesboro. My friend got a Mercedes suv for around $4K. Their stock comes from a variety of sources ranging from repos to car dealerships need to move some of their stock off the lot. You have to be careful which day you go because there is only one day a week that they guarantee the engine and transmission are trouble free. His runs just fine and I'm not sure I wasn't a little jealous lol that I didn't know about the place when I bought my last car. The only issue was that the driver's side door need a realignment to open and close easily, but that was definitely a small price to pay for what he got.

I will say this about the location though - make sure everything is in order before you hit the road. I went with him one night to get it, and he picked it up the next day. The auction place did not display the temporary tag in the appropriate location (whatever that is) and he got pulled over by a trooper who assumed he was running drugs. He wasn't and nothing happened after a through car search of his gym bag, but I would strongly recommend driving the speed limit and what not while you're there.

Old 09-27-2014, 11:04 AM

Well ElleKaye, dealers/brokers want to profit from the trade and are generally pricing cars above the book value or its worth in my eyes. Like that example I gave above - I'm not willing to pay $2k over the actual worth of the car. Tomorrow, when I'd be selling it away I'm not interested in loosing more money (since I overpaid its worth today) I put in a 10 year old car that will be worth just as much as it is today when I buy it.

Old 09-27-2014, 11:43 AM

651 posts, read 1,563,123 times
you cant compare kbb/edmunds prices to "FAIR market value" and the free market

just because some website say thats the price, does not mean its what a willing buyer will pay for the car.

plus, there is a used car shortage. vs how the market worked back in 2008/2009

in 2008/09 automakers made MORE cars, than they sold, and at the end of the year they sold them at huge discounts to rentals, and fleet companies. not anymore..
that gave an extra supply for used cards (thats only 2-4yrs old) at all times. this no longer happens.

Old 09-27-2014, 11:44 AM

651 posts, read 1,563,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
There's an auction place in Clayton County, and I'm sorry but I cannot remember the name of it, but it's on the service road right off Tara Blvd in Jonesboro. My friend got a Mercedes suv for around $4K. Their stock comes from a variety of sources ranging from repos to car dealerships need to move some of their stock off the lot. You have to be careful which day you go because there is only one day a week that they guarantee the engine and transmission are trouble free.

that place a scam. they charge you $10 just to BID. and walk on the lot.
avoid that place.

Old 09-27-2014, 01:38 PM

thanks ehoez, i've driven around a fair bit over the last week checking out vehicles and all the way from Jonesboro to up around Dunwoody, I've seen plenty of small dealerships with plenty of used cars sitting on their lots for sale. Yet, they seem unwilling to negotiate in my experience. I don't know if the shortage of used car argument holds.

And today as I went to convert my license to GA license, they wouldn't do it for whatever reason and basically I'd have to wait until that happens to get my GA license. I believe that if I were to buy a car through private transaction here in GA, I must have a GA license to have it register. Now until I get my GA license, I basically can't purchase a car. Utter annoyance !

Old 09-27-2014, 06:34 PM

787 posts, read 969,468 times
Cars.com is the best start their.

Old 09-28-2014, 07:05 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,823,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehoez View Post
that place a scam. they charge you $10 just to BID. and walk on the lot.
avoid that place.
It's true that there was a charge to get in, but in the grand scheme $20 for two people isn't that big of deal. It's like the cost of movie with no snacks.

I am stating that my friend did get a good car for a decent price, but I would still only go on the night that they guarantee the engine and transmission are in working order.

Old 09-28-2014, 07:50 AM

283 posts, read 360,702 times
What about something like Carvana? My friend bought 2 cars that way and said the experience was pretty good.

Old 09-28-2014, 08:02 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,221,765 times
I had an extremely hard time finding a used car in Atlanta before I left. It took me nine months to find a car. I also tried going with dealers but their used cars were grossly overpriced. I was trying to get a later model car but it was just too difficult. I finally went ahead with someone I knew who buys, repairs and sells used, older Volvos and bought a car from him. He's someone my mom knows and she's bought a couple of cars from him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta