Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 03:29 PM

3 posts, read 3,107 times

Advertisements

I just recently graduated from college (nearly 2 weeks ago) and I want to move to Atlanta. Right now, I live in Birmingham, Alabama, approximately a 2 and a half hour drive to ATL, so not very far. I choose Atlanta because I've gone to the city a few times and I think it's beautiful city. Also, I'm a southerner from a rather small town and Atlanta has all the amenities I'm looking for. Although it's a bit bigger than Birmingham, it still has that southern feel I'm looking for. Right now I'm living in the suburb of Homewood with my parents, which is about 5 miles from downtown Birmingham.

A few things I'm looking for when it comes to relocating to Atlanta:

• A nice, safe environment that has a proportional amount of younger adults (I'm 22 years of age). I do realize that no place is crime-free, but a place with a relatively low crime rate would be nice.
  • Also a place that is affordable. I would say maybe up to $1,200 a month for rent? (I'm not really up for the whole roommate thing, which I know may be helpful when it comes to paying for rent, so if my budget is a bit unrealistic, feel free to offer any suggestions).
  • A place where public transportation is reachable and reliable. I don't have a car as of now, hoping to have one soon, but in case I don't. (The public transportation in my city is pretty crappy, so I was always lucky to borrow my parents car or get a ride from friends).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 03:35 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,875,645 times
Sounds reasonable. Midtown or Decatur is probably the best place to start. Once you get comfortable, start to explore the many in-town neighborhoods on the east side. They each have their own pros and cons and you may find a better one for your next move.

Old 12-22-2014, 04:00 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,527,927 times
Agreed with jsvh. Also a word of caution on the public transit. Investigate the bus schedules fully if you're not within walking distance of a train station. For instance the area of Decatur I'm in would be considered "convenient to transit" but the bus line runs once every 20 minutes at best and we're 2 miles from the nearest transit station with parking so it's not exactly walkable. Also a word of caution about Decatur and really local mailing addresses in general, as a coworker of mine found out, a Decatur address doesn't mean convenient to anything. The Decatur mailing address apparently has a huge range with some "Decatur" addresses being easily a 20 minute drive from Decatur, and without even any bus service. I hope I haven't scared you, you can plug any address you find into Google easily enough and turn on transit, and play with directions if you want to see mileage to a train station.

Old 12-22-2014, 04:07 PM

708 posts, read 999,598 times
Midtown or Atlantic station or some parts of downtown.

Old 12-22-2014, 04:19 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,785,358 times
Where will you be working? Where meaning what city

How.much $$$ will you bring in per month?

Old 12-23-2014, 02:10 PM

1,236 posts, read 1,399,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southern_girl View Post
I just recently graduated from college (nearly 2 weeks ago) and I want to move to Atlanta. Right now, I live in Birmingham, Alabama, approximately a 2 and a half hour drive to ATL, so not very far. I choose Atlanta because I've gone to the city a few times and I think it's beautiful city. Also, I'm a southerner from a rather small town and Atlanta has all the amenities I'm looking for. Although it's a bit bigger than Birmingham, it still has that southern feel I'm looking for. Right now I'm living in the suburb of Homewood with my parents, which is about 5 miles from downtown Birmingham.

A few things I'm looking for when it comes to relocating to Atlanta:

• A nice, safe environment that has a proportional amount of younger adults (I'm 22 years of age). I do realize that no place is crime-free, but a place with a relatively low crime rate would be nice.
  • Also a place that is affordable. I would say maybe up to $1,200 a month for rent? (I'm not really up for the whole roommate thing, which I know may be helpful when it comes to paying for rent, so if my budget is a bit unrealistic, feel free to offer any suggestions).
  • A place where public transportation is reachable and reliable. I don't have a car as of now, hoping to have one soon, but in case I don't. (The public transportation in my city is pretty crappy, so I was always lucky to borrow my parents car or get a ride from friends).
Yeah, okay. Now what field will you working in and have you secured a job? Have you visited Atlanta at all? Because you need to prior to moving here; preferably multiple times.

Old 12-23-2014, 03:16 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
How can you afford $1200 per month in rent but not have a car?

I get it if you are making a statement by voluntarily not having a car, but I can't figure out how someone would want a car and not have one, but live in a $1200 per month apartment.

Old 12-23-2014, 05:42 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,875,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
How can you afford $1200 per month in rent but not have a car?

I get it if you are making a statement by voluntarily not having a car, but I can't figure out how someone would want a car and not have one, but live in a $1200 per month apartment.
It's often a choice now. I'd rather have a $1200 apartment where I can walk / transit / taxi to everything I need rather than $300/m on a car and $900/m on an apartment farther away.

Old 12-23-2014, 06:13 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
I get that, but the OP said this:

Quote:
I don't have a car as of now, hoping to have one soon

Old 12-23-2014, 06:22 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,935,590 times
A lot of college students don't have cars. I knew several that relied on busses, bikes, friends or lived on campus. Recent graduate so not too surprising
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: