Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2015, 05:04 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,877,894 times

Advertisements

I will be there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 01:03 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Default BreezeCard is not feasible for streetcar.

SaportaReport | Atlanta Streetcar free to ride this year because Breeze card isn
Quote:
“One of the drawbacks of the current technology is the background software support, to extend to the streetcar, offsets all the revenue we get from the $1 fare,” Mendoza said. “We have to come up with a lot better fee technology.”

Old 04-29-2015, 01:22 PM

925 posts, read 1,334,029 times
^ I thought the breeze card is relatively new, how can it be so useless? There are many systems around the world that already had the ability to be integrated across multiple transit and payment systems before breeze card came out.

Old 04-29-2015, 01:33 PM

Good post CQ. I hope they let me pay directly from my bank account using an app on my phone.

Old 04-29-2015, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Good post CQ. I hope they let me pay directly from my bank account using an app on my phone.
That is what they are looking at. Also, MARTA is looking into that technology as well.

Old 04-29-2015, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
That is what they are looking at. Also, MARTA is looking into that technology as well.
Yeah, whatever they select should work with both systems.

But they should have been working on this before now. The streetcar has been in the works for a while.

Old 04-29-2015, 03:39 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,529,813 times
Just as long as they don't force people to use direct bank-withdrawl, I'm fine with it.

Old 04-30-2015, 05:56 AM

Surprised Google wallet or Apple pay isn't working on something like this.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:28 AM

SaportaReport | Mayor Reed’s office responds to discussion of delay of fare collection on Atlanta Streetcar

Quote:
Jenna Garland, Reed’s press secretary, provided the following response:

The Atlanta Streetcar is committed to collaborating with MARTA to design a fare system that is convenient and sustainable for everyday commuters, visitors and large groups. The administration’s decision to allow the Atlanta Streetcar to remain fare-free for the rest of 2015 demonstrates our commitment to delivering a best-in-class experience for all riders.

The fare collection system was cumbersome. It wasn’t designed for the streetcar, and at the end of the day, it didn’t make sense for the streetcar. On top of this, developers and entrepreneurs were coming to us, excited about new technology that would work seamlessly with the Streetcar system.

By taking advantage of emerging technology, the Atlanta Streetcar will soon allow riders to use a smartphone app that will include trip-planning tools and provide electronic access to alerts, schedule information, and real-time arrivals.

Fare collection was projected to generate $304,000 in revenue in 2015. The streetcar will offset these funds through private, philanthropic support and operational savings. The Atlanta Streetcar is also operating $870,000 under the proposed budget for the year. Therefore, the loss of fare collection revenue will not cause cost overruns.

The Streetcar is driving redevelopment and reuse in the neighborhoods where it operates. More than $561 million has been invested in these neighborhoods in the past five years, and another $684 million is currently under construction. The Streetcar is bringing new energy and attention to Atlanta’s historic neighborhoods.

Approximately $48 million federal dollars contributed almost 50 percent of the total construction costs. Additional federal funds to the tune of $12.2 million awarded to support projects that reduce congestion and improve air quality – which the Atlanta Streetcar does – will defray annual operating costs for the first four years. Leveraging federal dollars, private partnerships and city funds is the smart approach.

The Atlanta Streetcar provides an integrated multi-modal, high-quality transit network that links communities, improves mobility by enhancing transit access and options, supports projected growth, promotes economic development and encourages strategies to develop livable and walkable communities.

Atlanta residents can be proud of its leading-edge, beautiful and transformative streetcar system and everyone can enjoy free service this year as the city works to finalize a fare collection system that achieves the level of excellence Atlantans deserve.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:49 AM

2,197 posts, read 2,261,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Surprised Google wallet or Apple pay isn't working on something like this.
This is the way MARTA and the Streetcar should be going. Use NFC, the industry standard. It's what WMATA is doing in DC. Metro - About Metro - News - Pay for Metro with your smartphone or watch? Testing starts soon.

The idea of the city trying to develop an app scares me. I work on the design of apps, and the development side is hard. Not hard to make an app, but it's incredibly hard to make a good app. One that doesn't crash, is kept up to date, supports the latest hardware. If MARTA's current app is a guide I don't have a lot of confidence in the city making a decent one for the Streetcar.

Just add NFC readers to the turnstiles. Done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta