Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 10:48 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times

Advertisements

Percentage Wise, Dallas is right on par with Atlanta. Dallas is 4.4% and Atlanta is 4.3%, probably top 5 in percentage for all metros above 1 million. This is MSA. Only one or two cities are counted as CSA. Houston has definitely fallen now. The decline in the oil industry is beginning to show it's rear end in job growth. Still great growth though and nothing to scoff about, but it's not the 140k+ jobs we've been seeing the last 3 or so years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 10:56 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,377,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
What numbers are two years old?

And DFW is 17% larger than Atlanta's CSA; not a huge difference but statistically significant and certainly not "miniscule."
The latest numbers from the Census Bureau of MSA and CSA populations are from mid-2013. We are approaching mid-2015, so they are nearly 2 years old.

As for DFW's 17% difference, it is not enough to make a major difference. If you'll read what I wrote, I said on a bar or line graph, it would be miniscule. And that is correct. The lines would be very close. One thing that happens when you take a number of accounting courses, courses involving test work/laboratory research, or classes involving statistics as I did, you learn to look at the grand scale. When you are dealing with millions, a million or two is in fact pretty insignificant.

Still, there are those that see the glass half-empty all the time.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:56 AM

1,582 posts, read 2,185,868 times
Miami is the big surprise to me. Its a metro not normally associated with high job growth.

Someone posted some data a few weeks ago indicating that the actual job growth was much better than the previous estimates. With these numbers and just looking around the city, I would saw the local economy is fully "ramped up" at this point.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:09 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaIsHot View Post
The latest numbers from the Census Bureau of MSA and CSA populations are from mid-2013. We are approaching mid-2015, so they are nearly 2 years old.

As for DFW's 17% difference, it is not enough to make a major difference. If you'll read what I wrote, I said on a bar or line graph, it would be miniscule. And that is correct. The lines would be very close. One thing that happens when you take a number of accounting courses, courses involving test work/laboratory research, or classes involving statistics as I did, you learn to look at the grand scale. When you are dealing with millions, a million or two is in fact pretty insignificant.

Still, there are those that see the glass half-empty all the time.
I know a thing or two about statistics myself, but 17% is not statistically insignificant. A large gap? Not at all...but I think you exaggerated a bit.

And on a bar or line graph, it wouldn't necessarily be miniscule; that would depend on the upper and lower values of the x and y axes.

Old 03-24-2015, 03:15 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,801,761 times
Quote:
I know a thing or two about statistics myself, but 17% is not statistically insignificant. A large gap? Not at all...but I think you exaggerated a bit.

And on a bar or line graph, it wouldn't necessarily be miniscule; that would depend on the upper and lower values of the x and y axes.
Someone took a course or two in reading I see.....lol

Old 03-24-2015, 04:23 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,377,881 times
Quote:

Whatever.

Perhaps I have a different view of "significant" than others. After all, two or more researchers usually produced two different analyses from the same data in many of my classes. The UN defines cities this way: under 750,000 is small, 750,000-5,000,000 are medium, 5,000,000-10,000,000 are large, and over 10,000,000 are mega. By this standard, a few million or two wouldn't change their size class. Dallas/Fort Worth is LARGER THAN ATLANTA. There. It's not that important to this thread in any case.

Let's just say HOORAY! Significant jobs are being created in most metro areas! I'm happy about it.

Last edited by AtlantaIsHot; 03-24-2015 at 04:32 PM..

Old 03-24-2015, 04:35 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaIsHot View Post
Whatever.

Perhaps I have a different view of "significant" than others. After all, two or more researchers usually produced two different analyses from the same data in many of my classes. The UN defines cities this way: under 750,000 is small, 750,000-5,000,000 are medium, 5,000,000-10,000,000 are large, and over 10,000,000 are mega. By this standard, a few million or two wouldn't change their size class. Dallas/Fort Worth is LARGER THAN ATLANTA. There. It's not that important to this thread in any case.

Let's just say HOORAY! Significant jobs are being created in most metro areas! I'm happy about it.
I think I would have agreed with you had you simply said it wasn't a significant difference, but you said statistically significant. That's where I disagreed, as well as with the use of the term "miniscule."

Even so, this is great news for Atlanta. Impressive performance over the past year.

Old 03-24-2015, 05:35 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,130,796 times
Great news for Atlanta! It's a sign that the economy's picking up and the metro is back to full str-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
...this may be the first time Atlanta has beaten Houston in job growth annually in many many years...
Oh no...you know what happens on C-D when someone compares ATL to Houston, right? Get the popcorn and prepare the banhammers!

- skbl17

Old 03-24-2015, 05:54 PM

9 posts, read 9,389 times
I'm glad to see Cleveland added 17k plus jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta