Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 03:12 PM

14 posts, read 8,051 times

Advertisements

So like the question says, would you rent an apartment to me based on everything I've stated? I'm a 19 year old student and would be moving into an apartment with a roommate. Here are the technical problems that I have with the rental situation:

1. I have no credit (which is important when trying to rent an apartment)
2. I'm no longer working because I went back to school
3. My salary is limited (goes with number 2)
4. I have a rental history, but it's my mom...

Now here are my ways of clearing of these red flags on my rental application:

1. My parents offered to help me get a credit card that I'll be required to pay off monthly so it can help build up my credit. Not to mention, if I were to get this apartment, with my name on the lease, it would go on my credit as well (as long as I pay on time) and paying utilities.

2 & 3: With me and my roommate both being students, we'd have to get a cosigner and in that case, her mom offered to cosign for us . Also, my parents would be paying my part of the rent while I was in school and my roommate would be using her scholarship money to pay her part of the rent along with a part-time job.

4: Although my mom is technically my landlord, I have been paying her monthly rent for about 3-4 years now including utilities and doing minor cosmetic work around her house (painting, tech support, landscaping/gardening, and general cleaning) which is totally acceptable because I'm staying in her house.

In reference to number 4, would a potential landlord/leasing agency not look at my rental history as legitimate because it's my mom? Even though I've been paying rent, utilities, and work around her house?

Long story short, would you rent to me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2016, 03:19 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,448,984 times
Sure I would rent to you if you would pay cash up front for an entire year.

Old 05-22-2016, 03:29 PM

That could be done. So there's no chance of an apartment renting to me even with a cosigner and proof that the rent would be on time? I know that we all have to start somewhere, but how can I start if no one is willing to take a chance on me?

Old 05-22-2016, 03:42 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,965,387 times
Somebody has to be able to guarantee the rent payments. If you have a credit-worthy co-signer, I don't see the problem. Landlords have been renting to college students forever. A co-signer is the norm.

OP, be careful with the roommate situation. You would be better off getting separate leases while you are students. Again, it's the norm.

Old 05-22-2016, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Somebody has to be able to guarantee the rent payments. If you have a credit-worthy co-signer, I don't see the problem. Landlords have been renting to college students forever. A co-signer is the norm.

OP, be careful with the roommate situation. You would be better off getting separate leases while you are students. Again, it's the norm.

Thanks for your answer! My roommate's mother has offered to cosign for us and my parents are pretty reliable when it comes to bill and mortgage payments, so when they offered to pay my part of the rent, I couldn't turn it down. I'll definitely look into separate leases. I honestly never knew you could have separate leases (forgive my ignorance), but from when we both went and talked to the potential apartment leaser/landlord, my roommate seems to have an amazing background and rental history (i.e. rent paid on time or early, great credit score, a good tenant/neighbor in her previous apartment(s), the works)! But I'll still look into separate leases.

Old 05-22-2016, 04:04 PM

I should also add, should I write a letter explaining my situation (being a student, rental history, or just general information about my application)?

Old 05-22-2016, 04:43 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,064,341 times
Just get your parents to co-sign for you. If you have your own lease, you'll probably need that, unless your friend's parents are willing to co-sign for you on your own lease.

Eviction is pretty easy in Georgia. If you ever don't pay your rent, expect to see your lock changed and your stuff on the street in less than a month. Don't let it happen!

Old 05-22-2016, 04:52 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,965,387 times
The separate leases is common in buildings that rent to college students. It protects the other parties should one roommate drop out or bail. But it does mean you each need a co-signer, so if your parents aren't willing or able to do that, then you may have to go without.

Are you applying to a building that normally rents to students? None of my kids ever wrote a letter, they just filled out the application, and we signed the agreement to guarantee the payments. It was very straightforward.

Old 05-22-2016, 04:59 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,848,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflowers&curls View Post

1. I have no credit (which is important when trying to rent an apartment) People do rent with no credit. NO credit is better than bad.
2. I'm no longer working because I went back to school Thats going to be a BIG problem, co signer or not
3. My salary is limited (goes with number 2) Limited is fine, NONE is quite different
4. I have a rental history, but it's my mom... Not going to count
They pay your rent, but what about other bills? Who is going to pay your cable, electric, gas, insurance, renters insurance, etc? You cant out that ALL on a credit card or your roomies part time job or her scholarship.

This is really not an ideal situation to rent an apartment under.

Old 05-22-2016, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Just get your parents to co-sign for you. If you have your own lease, you'll probably need that, unless your friend's parents are willing to co-sign for you on your own lease.

Eviction is pretty easy in Georgia. If you ever don't pay your rent, expect to see your lock changed and your stuff on the street in less than a month. Don't let it happen!

Oh yeah, I know. I've been born and raised here. I know the deal with evictions and rent payments and whatnot...it'd just be my first time on my own. I'll definitely be looking into a separate lease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta