Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2015, 11:30 AM

66 posts, read 73,740 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have an thoughts on this development? Safe? Convenient? Strong HOA?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 03:01 PM

120 posts, read 155,205 times
Hello Zellie...

I purchased a condo in City View last December (2014.) I've been VERY pleased...since I have lived here, they have
painted the exterior of all buildings...replaced the carpet (and stone) in all interior hallways...painted all interior hallways...redone the business office (taking it down to the studs) including brand new furnishings...added a new dog grooming/bathing station...and replaced all outdoor chairs, loungers and tables around the pool. They are taking bids
for all new exterior/decorative lighting on Jackson Street and Highland Avenue.

Besides the pool, business center, and dog grooming/bathing area, other amenities include a recently expanded gym/fitness center with new equipment (less than a year old,) grilling area (alas, only one,) car wash area, "peace garden" with seating and a covered/secure parking deck. (Visitor parking is sometimes tough, depending on the time of day.) I especially like that my HOA fee is less than $218.00 a month for all of that! (I have a 2 bedroom unit with approximately 960 square feet.) That fee is unchanged since these units were initially built and sold in 2005.

I have a super walkable lifestyle...seldom using my car more than a handful of times a month. I come and go at all times of the day and night and have never had any issue with crime...nor have any of my neighbors, at least not that I'm aware of. The Beltline is a 10 minute walk...the street car is a 5 minute walk...the new Freedom Barkway Dog Park is next door (across Boulevard)...Central Park is less than a 10 minute walk...Piedmont Park is about a 25 - 30 minute walk using the Beltline. Two grocery stores (Publix on Piedmont & Kroger on the Beltline) serve the neighborhood.

In the interests of full disclosure...I attended my first HOA meeting in May and was appointed (volunteered) to serve as the Secretary. I can't really enlighten you on much in that regard, as I've only served about a month. From what I have gathered, the financials are good/healthy. There are 56 condos...along with 200 + apartments. I've always assumed that
having the apartments helps to offset the HOA fees, when all the amenities are considered...but I can't be sure of that.

I replied to another interested party a month or so ago...he wasn't interested in City View specifically...but the area in general. Below is my reply...

I'll be more than happy to answer any specific questions you might have, either on this thread or if you prefer, through a direct message. Regardless of where you end up purchasing, I wish you nothing but the best of luck!

Paul

" I purchased a condo (December 2014) near the same area you are considering. I really love the area and it seems to be just getting better daily. The most appealing aspect of my neighborhood is the connectivity. I'm 3 blocks from the streetcar...easily a 5 minute walk...which opens up all of downtown to me. I'm a 10 minute walk to the Beltline and Inman Quarter. The Path Foundation, Freedom Parkway/Stone Mountain Trail runs right outside my door and opens up all the hot,
eastside neighborhoods by bike. I can and do walk to both Midtown and Piedmont Park...but those are 25+ minute walks...much less by bike.

2 grocery stores service the area..."Beltline Kroger" and the Publix on Piedmont...again, both are walkable, but a bike is much quicker/easier. Only occasionally do I use my car for either.

They recently opened up a dog park near the Boulevard and Freedom Parkway...VERY NICE and well used. There is also a dog park right near Central Park...I just can't recall the name right at this moment.

If I had one complaint, it would be the lack of restaurants in the immediate area. Coming from Poncy Highland, I got spoiled with tons of choices right outside my door. Unfortunately, that's not the case in the Old Fourth Ward West neighborhood. Development/restaurants continue to push west down Highland...they are rezoning properties along that stretch (Boulevard to Glen Iris) as I type this. So things are changing for the better, but it will take time (naturally.) As more people move to the area (an office building is being retro-fitted into apartments at Highland-Baker and Piedmont that will bring lots more folks to the adjacent area) the pace of improvement will only increase, I believe.

As for crime...I have not been a victim...nor have I heard of my neighbors or friends falling victim to crime. I'm a retired police officer, so that may/may not have something to do with my personal experience. I can say that personally, I feel safe in my neighborhood...and I'm out at all hours of the day and evening...on foot and bike. I have yet to experience a single situation where I felt ill at ease or felt the need to extricate myself from the situation. In saying that, I (of course) use common sense and remain alert/vigilant at all times. As someone who retired from law enforcement, I would not discourage someone from moving to this neighborhood based on the levels of crime...I also understand we all have our individual levels of comfort and a sense of safety is subjective.

Lastly, the entire Old Fourth Ward Neighborhood is divided up into four districts...it's a big hood! The area west of the Boulevard (to downtown,) and between Freedom Parkway and North Street is the Old Fourth Ward West neighborhood/association. Their website is https://www.facebook.com/FourthWardWest

I hope I helped at least a little. If you have any further questions, feel free to send me a dm or reply back on this thread.

Good luck, whatever you decide!

Paul"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: