Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 01:48 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,911,741 times

Advertisements

OK, before I get into this let me say up front that this is NOT about the man or the type / quality films and TV shows he produces. It's about the way HIS people treat other people, particularly those who work as background actors in Atlanta.

I've never worked on a TP project, but I have many friends who have and all of them say it's THE WORST set experience in the Atlanta entertainment industry. Many work once and refuse to ever go back. Some have actually filed compliants with the unions and the state film office. Nothing ever changes.

The main complaints are that TP staff are arrogant and condescending, they change call times and casting details on the fly and without proper notification, they frequently shortchange voucher hours (for example, guaranteed you 8 but only pay for 6) and are not prompt in processing vouchers and payments. Craft services are non-existent and meals, when provided, are often less than adequate. One friend recently told me he was on a TP set and they gave background a sack lunch containing a cheese sandwich and an apple.

But another friend, who is Asian, has another story to tell: She was cast once to play a hairdresser in a beauty salon scene, for diversity sake apparently, when TP walked onto the set, pointed at her and said "This is a black show; get her out of here."

Another friend just forwarded me a letter she wrote today addressed to TP himself complaining about the shoddy treatment she recieved working yesterday (she showed up 30 minutes early for an 11 am call time that they moved to 1 pm without telling her, then clocked her in at 2 because that was the time she finally got through security and was "processed.")

I've worked on a lot of film and TV sets in this town and have heard these same horror stories told over and over by a lot of friends. Curious to know if this has been anybody else's experience?

Old 10-01-2016, 01:53 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,050,476 times
I only know one person who went to work at TP studios, probably 10 years ago.

I never talked to this person directly about it, but heard through the grapevine of mutual friends that is was a low-budget sweatshop environment.

Old 10-01-2016, 05:51 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,979,166 times
This shocks me.
Thought with his $$$$ and rags to riches story, he'd pay it forward. Why don't more people talk about this?

Old 10-01-2016, 07:04 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,936,812 times
Tyler Perry movies are crap anyways, I have no idea what his target audience is...

Old 10-01-2016, 07:30 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,706,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
This shocks me.
Thought with his $$$$ and rags to riches story, he'd pay it forward. Why don't more people talk about this?
They have posted about it on the internet.

I'm not shocked at all. He underpays the writing staff which is why the WGA has gone against him so many times. All the other union issues that he has had with his various shows and plays.

I've had a couple associates discuss the same thing about him. It is a sweatshop. Quantity over quality.

Old 10-01-2016, 07:46 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,911,741 times
Two Actor Unions Ban Their Members from Working on Tyler Perry’s Latest Stage Production | IndieWire

Old 10-01-2016, 09:46 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,050,476 times
I heard that instead of shooting the shows one season at a time like a normal production, they overwork everyone and shoot two seasons before wrapping in the same amount of time one would expect to shoot a single season.

Old 10-01-2016, 10:30 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,427,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
OK, before I get into this let me say up front that this is NOT about the man or the type / quality films and TV shows he produces. It's about the way HIS people treat other people, particularly those who work as background actors in Atlanta.

I've never worked on a TP project, but I have many friends who have and all of them say it's THE WORST set experience in the Atlanta entertainment industry. Many work once and refuse to ever go back. Some have actually filed compliants with the unions and the state film office. Nothing ever changes.

The main complaints are that TP staff are arrogant and condescending, they change call times and casting details on the fly and without proper notification, they frequently shortchange voucher hours (for example, guaranteed you 8 but only pay for 6) and are not prompt in processing vouchers and payments. Craft services are non-existent and meals, when provided, are often less than adequate. One friend recently told me he was on a TP set and they gave background a sack lunch containing a cheese sandwich and an apple.

But another friend, who is Asian, has another story to tell: She was cast once to play a hairdresser in a beauty salon scene, for diversity sake apparently, when TP walked onto the set, pointed at her and said "This is a black show; get her out of here."

Another friend just forwarded me a letter she wrote today addressed to TP himself complaining about the shoddy treatment she recieved working yesterday (she showed up 30 minutes early for an 11 am call time that they moved to 1 pm without telling her, then clocked her in at 2 because that was the time she finally got through security and was "processed.")

I've worked on a lot of film and TV sets in this town and have heard these same horror stories told over and over by a lot of friends. Curious to know if this has been anybody else's experience?
I like Tyler Perry and I hope none of this is true.Especially the part about "This is a black show".
However I do have my best friend who played a role on his show and he said it wasn't terrible but it was not a great experience either.
He is black but gets it a lot because if you closed your eyes,he sounds Caucasian.One of the other main actors of a TV show of TP joked a little to much for his liking about his "demeanor"

the arrogance thing Im sure exist.Give some people a little power and they run with it.

I hate to say it but its common among minority business.Asian companies are notoriously "cheap" and overwork their employees also.

Old 10-01-2016, 11:25 PM

578 posts, read 458,357 times
I was just thinking about applying at tyler perry studio's,after reading this I might reconsider some where else.

Thanks For the heads up!

Old 10-02-2016, 07:25 PM

23,448 posts, read 44,056,411 times
We can all act the biotch sometimes, and I'm sure she's no exception.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: