Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 07:10 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,102,358 times

Advertisements

I've met some black people from up there that seem to think if they venture anywhere outside of the metro, they are going to be surrounded by Klansmen who want to run them back to Atlanta.

The other thing I've ran across is people acting like since I'm not from the metro, I must live in the middle of the woods down a dirt road. Many of those people live in places such as McDonough, Stockbridge, Lithonia, Union City, etc. I have to tell them that many of those 'burbs don't look that much different than being in a 2nd tier city like Macon or Augusta. Depending on the particular neighborhood, they can look even less "urban."

Are blacks in metro Atlanta aware that there are many other black people in Georgia outside of there, even in the rural counties? Do they know that their suburban towns arent really that much more "city" (if at all) than Macon, Augusta, Columbus, or especially Savannah, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2015, 07:15 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,527,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Soul Bro View Post
I've met some black people from up there that seem to think if they venture anywhere outside of the metro, they are going to be surrounded by Klansmen who want to run them back to Atlanta.

The other thing I've ran across is people acting like since I'm not from the metro, I must live in the middle of the woods down a dirt road. Many of those people live in places such as McDonough, Stockbridge, Lithonia, Union City, etc. I have to tell them that many of those 'burbs don't look that much different than being in a 2nd tier city like Macon or Augusta. Depending on the particular neighborhood, they can look even less "urban."

Are blacks in metro Atlanta aware that there are many other black people in Georgia outside of there, even in the rural counties? Do they know that their suburban towns arent really that much more "city" (if at all) than Macon, Augusta, Columbus, or especially Savannah, etc.
i dont know much about the country non city parts of GA, but i can assume its just like the rural areas of Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, South Carolina and Arkansas. Its an area where they are not exposed to everything and everyone, which could cause their view to be limited on everything and everyone.

Old 08-01-2015, 07:18 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,773,938 times
These type of silly rumors exist everywhere.

Several years ago I was teaching a class in Alpharetta and there was a gentleman from California that was Asian (Japanese). He was shocked how normal and friendly everyone was. Based on what others had told him, he was nervous about coming to the Atlanta area where we were all White Klansman types.

I grew up in Orlando and while this was many years ago, you would be surprised how many northerners thought we all lived among the swamps similar to the Everglades.

Old 08-01-2015, 07:30 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
i dont know much about the country non city parts of GA, but i can assume its just like the rural areas of Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, South Carolina and Arkansas. Its an area where they are not exposed to everything and everyone, which could cause their view to be limited on everything and everyone.
Unfortunately, for many who live in "the city," they are not exposed to much outside of their urban areas. (This is NOT a jab at you, by the way.). Many city dwellers criticize rural denizens of having no global view. I've often found just the opposite. Many city folk have very limited experience outside of their urban enclaves. Yet it is the city folk who snub their noses at the rural folk.

Old 08-01-2015, 08:21 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,102,358 times
Quote:
Mod cut.

here's what you guys have to understand about exposure and racial divide.

In many major metros like Atlanta, the suburban population can self segregate itself into communities and areas where they dont have to be exposed to outside influences. The population is large enough that many businesses, schools, neighborhoods, etc. can all "look the same" without having to interact much with others.

In your run of the mill, rural small town in Middle or South Georgia, there will be 1 high school, 1 wal-mart, etc. and most of these towns are anywhere from 30-60% black/white, white/black.

The people dont have a choice but to be exposed to others, simply because the towns are so small everybody has to go to the same school, stores, etc.

So actually, there are many people in large metro areas who are even more segregated and lack exposure to other people, culture, etc. than people in small towns.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-03-2015 at 07:46 AM.. Reason: Orphaned (quoted post has been deleted).

Old 08-01-2015, 08:44 AM

2,427 posts, read 2,478,601 times
Quote:
That may be true about Rural Georgia, but not the 2nd Tier Cities like Savannah and Macon which have populations well over 100,000 residents and are metros them selves. They have much of what metro Atl has but on a much smaller scale including Transit. It Amazes me how many people in Georgia don't travel much to really know what different places are like and how big they really are. The big fool that people from GA get is how they stereo Type Tennessee and Kentucky. Most people in GA only really go to Chattanooga and don't Realize how big Nashville or Memphis is until they go their, they are shocked it reminds them of Atl and that Tennessee has cities that big. Even Louisville, KY is a big shocker for people from Ga that don't travel and think those places are back woods.. it's funny because I think GA suffered the same stereo type until Atlanta 's name and image blew up after the Olympics. Moral of story get out and Travel, see for ur self before u pass Judgment of a place. In my opinion much of GA 2nd Tiers are what inner city Atlanta was like pre 1996 on a much smaller scale and less cultural, some more dense and urban than the others, especially Macon and Savannah. That's just my opinion.

Old 08-01-2015, 09:23 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Well a sizable number of Black transplants to metro Atlanta are coming from other parts of the South, including more rural parts, so they have an idea of what the small-town South is like and there's a big chance they don't care for it--which is a big part of why they moved to Atlanta in the first place. Many of them know they live in suburbs not too different than parts of Augusta, Macon, Columbus, etc. but they moved to metro Atlanta to take advantage of the vast economic, cultural, social, etc. opportunities that exist throughout the metro area that those smaller towns simply cannot match.

Old 08-01-2015, 09:34 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,786,194 times
Quote:

Our opinion about rural GA is the same as any city opinion of the rural area surrounding their city. Your opinion on the city is probably the same as what most rural people think of city living

Old 08-01-2015, 09:51 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,456,469 times
Quote:

Not sure if that is even an Atlanta or a Georgia thing. I felt the same way, living in a city half the size of Atlanta proper, and in a metro area less than a fifth the size of Atlanta in Ohio.

Blacks in the city don't know much about Blacks in rural areas. Sure they exist, but we usually do not go into those areas because of our assumptions about the Whites that live in those areas. Particularly, if your state is predominately White anyway. Blacks are only 12% of the population in Ohio, so it makes sense. When you have cities that are 50% Black, 30% Black etc. it is obviously because the majority of the Black population lives in some city, somewhere.

It is different in the South. Blacks are 30% of the population in Georgia. Clearly, you'll have more Blacks everywhere, both in the city and in the rural parts. So the sentiment is one coming from a place of ignorance.

Also noticed that you mentioned that suburban Atlanta's density is no more than that of the smaller towns in Georgia. That is more about self-identifying with the city, because of proximity. If you're in Gwinnett County you can easily say you're from Atlanta. If you're from Rome, or Savannah, etc you can't say that with a straight face.

Short answer to your question is no. Long answer suggests why they may not know, or wouldn't know, or may not even realize the importance of knowing why they should know.

Not sure if it is of any interest but living in Virginia I've noticed a lot more Blacks talking about life in rural areas I would probably never live in (areas similar to that) in Ohio. Not just suburbs, but actual small towns I would never consider. Statistically, 19% Black, in Virginia. My theory is that the more Blacks that live in state, percentage wise, the greater the chance is that there are more Blacks living in rural areas.

Old 08-01-2015, 09:51 AM

899 posts, read 1,015,719 times
I'm black and made frequent trips from Fayetteville/PTC to Augusta via the interstates, and stopped in small towns between. I had my guard up in the small towns but ultimately had no problems other than a particularly bad gas station:

BP - Gas & Service Stations - Crawfordville, GA - Reviews - Photos - Yelp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta