Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 08:40 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,696,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I would personally be okay with a significant increase in the gas tax and with additional tolls. Stick the true cost of transportation on the user.

However, it is critical that any additional tax revenues be spent carefully.
I am really not a fan of regressive taxes (or equivalent methods of revenue). This especially stands true when Georgia has one of the lowest rate progressive tax structures in the nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 12:39 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,778,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
When in reality that is far from the truth...
Georgia is amongst the most federally subsidized states in the nation.
That is pretty far from the truth.

Georgia is actually much closer to being a break-even state, largely thanks to the economic activity and wealth in the Atlanta region.

There are a few year-to-year variations where we are a small time donor or taker state, but for the most part we right in the middle.

The rest of the South does not fair so well, but we are joined with North Carolina and Texas.

States like Mississippi, Alabama, and South Carolina are different stories.

The real problem I have with Arjay's opinion is we have been under-investing on infrastructure in particular in relation to GDP for a few decades at the state level.

At the macro-level I heavily agree with architect.

Yes, this is just one spending program and yes it is only $4b. The problem is Georgia spends far less per capita on transportation than North Carolina.

We essentially are a region of 5.5 million living on infrastructure for 3 million that has had some moderate tweaks.

Old 08-06-2015, 05:29 AM

1,189 posts, read 1,163,439 times
Love me some moderate tweaks!

Old 08-06-2015, 08:00 AM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,899,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
That is pretty far from the truth.

Georgia is actually much closer to being a break-even state, largely thanks to the economic activity and wealth in the Atlanta region.

There are a few year-to-year variations where we are a small time donor or taker state, but for the most part we right in the middle.

The rest of the South does not fair so well, but we are joined with North Carolina and Texas.

States like Mississippi, Alabama, and South Carolina are different stories.

The real problem I have with Arjay's opinion is we have been under-investing on infrastructure in particular in relation to GDP for a few decades at the state level.

At the macro-level I heavily agree with architect.

Yes, this is just one spending program and yes it is only $4b. The problem is Georgia spends far less per capita on transportation than North Carolina.

We essentially are a region of 5.5 million living on infrastructure for 3 million that has had some moderate tweaks.
Very true.

On the highway fund in particular, Texas is a huge donor state. Yet they manage to build roads in spite of that. Their senators have been working on balancing the donors and takers (like NY state) for a long time. North Carolina and Texas have both been doing a lot with their infrastructure while Georgia has mostly sat on its hands for the last 20 years.

Old 08-06-2015, 09:24 AM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
I'm in favor of investing more in infrastructure but I'd prefer to see the money come from increased gas taxes, tolls and other user related fees.

Until people start paying the true cost of transportation there will be continued bickering about what projects should have priority and who should pay what.

Old 08-06-2015, 09:28 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,879,410 times
Quote:
I'm in favor of investing more in infrastructure but I'd prefer to see the money come from increased gas taxes, tolls and other user related fees.

Until people start paying the true cost of transportation there will be continued bickering about what projects should have priority and who should pay what.
Vehicle Mileage Fees are the best solution. That way people pay exactly the amount they should for driving on streets and the price is reflected in the vehicles weight.

Old 08-06-2015, 09:30 AM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Vehicle Mileage Fees are the best solution. That way people pay exactly the amount they should for driving on streets and the price is reflected in the vehicles weight.
Sounds okay to me. Does it need any special technology or do you just go by the odometer?

Old 08-06-2015, 11:56 AM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,899,793 times
Quote:
Sounds okay to me. Does it need any special technology or do you just go by the odometer?
I don't like the government intruding. They want to do it with monitoring equipment.

Gas taxes are better. You just have to adjust occassionally as the average fuel efficiency goes up.

Old 08-06-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I don't like the government intruding. They want to do it with monitoring equipment.

Gas taxes are better. You just have to adjust occassionally as the average fuel efficiency goes up.
Oregon is testing a way that does not require GPS tracking of every move http://www.myorego.org/about/vendor-options/. If you have nothing to hide, what does it matter? If the G Men wanted to track you they could by your phone and towers.

Old 08-06-2015, 12:17 PM

Quote:
MyOReGO | A new way to fund roads for all Oregonians
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: