Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 12:47 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrickNet View Post
The reality is that Atlanta's culture doesn't attract innovators and thought leaders. It attracts those looking for the black mecca, neighbors from less economically viable states (looking at you, Alabama, Mississippi, and South Carolina), and traditionalists looking for an increase in quality of life.
Nice to know that Black folks from SC, Mississippi, and Alabama (and interestingly the rest of Georgia, which I wouldn't exactly call "economically viable," was excluded for whatever reason) are automatically excluded from being "innovators and thought leaders" because of their race and where they were born. This is probably the most elitist, racist, and xenophobic crock of $HI+ I've ever read on this forum.

For Silicon Valley's economic success, it's still soulless suburbia that lacks diversity and an urban sense of place. Its only saving grace in this regard is being near San Francisco. Atlanta doesn't need to be another Silicon Valley to be successful and indeed has been successful without it. The city evolved from being a smallish Southern rail hub to being a top 10 metropolitan area in the U.S. and that's no small potatoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 01:43 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Before you try to be the next "Silicon Valley," this article is a must read (no, I don't subscribe to GQ, just read it in a waiting room).

Silicon Valley is Lying to You | GQ
uh huh! excuses excuses lol

Old 08-05-2015, 07:48 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,130,796 times
Have to agree on the point that Atlanta should find ways to keep Tech grads in the state. Heck, from the politics to the flag rallies I'm not even sure if I'd want to live in Atlanta post-graduation. I love MARTA, but even that wouldn't keep me here if nothing changes.

- skbl17

Old 08-05-2015, 08:18 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,157,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrickNet View Post
I think compete is the wrong word. Atlanta has a lot going for it, but it'll never replace the true Silicon Valley.

Why?

You're not going to attract young people from California to Atlanta. I'm part of a recruiting team and it's very hard to get new talent out here. Whether you like it or not, Atlanta is in the South, in the bible belt. Talent from California - where they're surrounded by world-renowned innovative thinkers - do not want to come to a place where there are Confederate flag rallies. Or where hip-hop and your next recording deal is the most important thing. Heck, the city can't even figure out how to keep interstate lights on.

The reality is that Atlanta's culture doesn't attract innovators and thought leaders. It attracts those looking for the black mecca, neighbors from less economically viable states (looking at you, Alabama, Mississippi, and South Carolina), and traditionalists looking for an increase in quality of life.

Until Atlanta promotes itself as a place for innovators and thought leaders instead of the above, you're not going to get to this new Silicon Valley that everyone keeps saying we are.
Man, you figured out how to insult nearly every single Georgian in one post. Well-done.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:39 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post
Have to agree on the point that Atlanta should find ways to keep Tech grads in the state. Heck, from the politics to the flag rallies I'm not even sure if I'd want to live in Atlanta post-graduation. I love MARTA, but even that wouldn't keep me here if nothing changes.

- skbl17
I think that's happening now with all of these companies locating in Tech Square; those are good jobs near the university in a highly urbanizing, energetic, transit-accessible district with a reasonable COL relatively speaking.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:42 PM
bu2

24,106 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
uh huh! excuses excuses lol
Well when the choices are reading about Ben and Jen's divorce or Golf Digest when you aren't a golfer...

Old 08-05-2015, 09:54 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,912,498 times
My only gripe against the state of Georgia has been the fact that all of it's balls are in one court and not more evenly spread among it's other cities. In regards to Atlanta as a city I think it's pretty remarkable the city is home to a number of fine institutions of higher education such as GA Tech, Georgia State, and the Atlanta University Center with Spelman, Clark Atlanta, Morris Brown and Morehouse College, not to mention if the city can somehow annex Druid Hills, Emory and the CDC would join it. That's a ton of young talent being produced in the same city. For all the crap Atlanta gets about failing to compete against the likes of Silicon Valley, name another city that has a booming film industry which is being talked about as the next Hollywood, a host of universities to produce a wide variety of talent, the number of fortune 500 and 1000 companies that are either located or doing business in the area, while maintaining a strong southern culture with a vast history that combines both Martin Luther King and the Confederacy in same location, is or has hosted multiple national and international events like the 1996 Olympics, not to mention the city is the capital of it's state. To me it seems the options in Atlanta are far greater then those found in Silicon Valley. For all of that I think the city is doing pretty well for itself.

Last edited by therealpattman; 08-05-2015 at 10:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta