Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 11:46 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,875,645 times

Advertisements

BeltLine a player in dense projects near Piedmont, Fourth Ward parks | SaportaReport

Could High-Rise Development Replace The Masquerade? - Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes - Curbed Atlanta

Quote:
Could the most charmingly Medieval venue in Atlanta's musical history be destined for the wrecking ball? It would appear so — but exactly when isn't clear. Atlanta Beltline officials came before the city council Monday with plans that could drastically alter the residential landscape around Historic Fourth Ward Park. On a 3.3-acre site that includes the circa-1900 Masquerade nightclub and its grounds, the Beltline has applied for rezoning that would allow for structures of up to 22 stories, according to the Saporta Report. Earlier this year, Invest Atlanta shopped for development proposals for a long, thin one-acre piece of land the agency owns between The Masquerade and the Beltline's Eastside Trail. Apparently, they found no takers; the rezoning proposal presented this week includes that land and the 2.1-acre parcel on which The Masquerade sits. Masquerade officials have not returned inquiries about their plans for the former excelsior mill on North Avenue, which has operated as a mid-sized music venue for 25 years. In an interview with Curbed Atlanta last year, Masquerade spokesperson Jeremiah Edmond said the venue had no plans of closing or relocating, despite encroachment from nearby residential development that had consumed parking spaces for concert-goers. Rumors of an impending move to venues like Atlantic Station, Edmond said, have been frequent since the building changed ownership several years ago...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 12:00 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Hopefully they will preserve the historic building.

Old 11-04-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Hopefully they will preserve the historic building.
It's a cooler old building. I have enjoyed shows there. But I am not sure it is particularly historic is it? Nor is it in great shape.

Old 11-04-2014, 12:13 PM

209 posts, read 276,469 times
Hopefully they will preserve the venue. The Masquerade is one of the coolest venues in Atlanta. Places like the Masquerade are why the O4W/Poncey High area became hip in the first place.

This sums up one of my fears about the BeltLine- it'll just be a ring of nonstop condiminiums and mixed-use developments, and in its quest to become New York or San Francisco, Atlanta forgets the things that make Atlanta cool.

The BeltLine should be connecting the cool things Atlanta has to offer, not wrecking them.

Old 11-04-2014, 12:21 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
I hope the Masquerade survives, it's been a bit of a cockroach surviving all kinds of things, like the Clermont Lounge!

But, unfortunately, we've seen this happen before....development starts to happen near the amenities people want to live near, but soon those amenities get demolished to make room for more development so pretty soon nobody is close to anything but new development and the rather stale new businesses that can afford leases in uppity buildings.

Old 11-04-2014, 12:42 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,121,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ha-Mez View Post
The BeltLine should be connecting the cool things Atlanta has to offer, not enticing the adjacent property owners to wreck them.
Fixed.

Old 11-04-2014, 01:00 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Hopefully the developer can come up with a plan that respects and incorporates elements of the original building.

I'd hate to have to drive by and tell people, "Well, that apartment complex is where a really cool place named the Masquerade used to be until it got torn down by the Beltline."

Old 11-04-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Hopefully the developer can come up with a plan that respects and incorporates elements of the original building.

I'd hate to have to drive by and tell people, "Well, that apartment complex is where a really cool place named the Masquerade used to be until it got torn down by the Beltline."
I'd love to see elements of the original building incorporated too. I think a lot of the original character that is being used at PCM across the street could be a great inspiration to keeping some character here too.

Old 11-04-2014, 01:25 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
Who cares about the building itself, if it's not still hosting Cattle Decapitation, the Genitorturers, Thelma & The Sleaze, and Ministry, what good is it anymore?

I actually think the Masquerade is a pretty awful venue, I don't like going there much. But I do because it somehow is able to draw names that other establishments just can't seem to get. The bands that come play the Masquerade certainly give our town an edge that I would hate to lose.

Old 11-04-2014, 01:25 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,885 times
Would suck to give up something unique for something that you can see anywhere around town.

Didn't realize the Masquerade was an excelsior mill.

Wood wool - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: