Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 09:53 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,853,346 times

Advertisements

DeKalb was considered the creme de la creme in Georgia as far as efficient county run government and excellent county run school system not that long ago. The reputation is not in comparison to an area like Detroit, but with a comparison its own past. The way it does compare to Detroit is how far it has fallen from what it once was. From best to average or slightly below is a big slide.

It is too suburban to ever have the blight of a Detroit, but still, residents should be concerned with their government and their school system enough to challenge the status quo. Dunwoody and Brookhaven have come into existence in large part because of the failure of DeKalb. Chamblee has more than doubled through annexation. Lavista Hills, Tucker, Druid Hills to Atlanta.... the ball will continue to roll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 06:05 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,783,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammy_West View Post
I appreciate you providing this information. But someone will read this and automatically assume that every school in Dekalb county is bad. This is not true. Since you mentioned Decatur (which is in Dekalb county btw) I will compare DATE to the top great schools rated public middle school in North Decatur. These are the 8th grade test scores from 2014

English Language Arts
DATE 100% Proficiency
Renfroe Middle School (North Decatur) 97%

Math
DATE 82%
Renfroe 89%

Reading
DATE 100%
Renfroe 99%

Science
DATE 78%
Renfroe 86%

Social Studies
DATE 89%
Renfroe 93%

These numbers are basically splitting hairs, but to be exact that's Renfroe 3, DATE 2. However, on Great Schools Renfroe is rated a 9, and Dekalb Academy is rated a 4. Why is that?

High Schools

Decatur High School (top rated high school in what you're describing as the top rated district in the state)
Arabia Mountain High School (a top rated high school in what you're describing as the lowest rated district)

9th Grade (other grades are not available on Great Schools for these schools. Don't know why)

Literature
Decatur 96%
Arabia 96%

Integrated Math 2 (2013 numbers)
Decatur 77%
Arabia 65%

Biology
Decatur 94%
Arabia 87%

Economics
Decatur 89%
Arabia 98%

Now to be fair, Decatur high School is rated a 9, Arabia Mountain an 8. But again, when you lump that school in and just say Dekalb county is the worst, people will not even look at individual schools. And those numbers certainly don't look like one school is in the worst school system in Georgia.
I think that some of the most recent greatschool ratings are messed up--the sample sizes from some tests are unusually small for some schools and probably not representative school achievement (and messing up one score in one minor test area can have a large effect on rankings)--I am guessing that this is due to Georgia transitioning out of the CRCT tests.--so, no, I would not trust the school ranking sites right now.

Old 10-02-2015, 06:46 AM

23,444 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
I'll agree with this. They are missing many amenities such as parks and recreation, sidewalks near schools, and paved roads. Many parts of the county look like they're in decay. Not saying it's actually in decay, but you get a depressed feeling whenever you drive through. (Except for Decatur)
Except for Decatur...and Druid Hills...and Lake Claire...and North Druid Hills...and Oak Grove/ Sagamore...and North Briarcliff...and Dunwoody...and Tucker...and Brookhaven...and LaVista Park...*sigh*

Old 10-02-2015, 07:33 AM

31 posts, read 38,130 times
Quote:
I appreciate you providing this information. But someone will read this and automatically assume that every school in Dekalb county is bad. This is not true. Since you mentioned Decatur (which is in Dekalb county btw) I will compare DATE to the top great schools rated public middle school in North Decatur. These are the 8th grade test scores from 2014
Decatur is not part of Dekalb county and has its school system.

Old 10-02-2015, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tito_d View Post
Decatur is not part of Dekalb county and has its school system.
Decatur is DeKalb County's seat. Hello?

Old 10-02-2015, 07:56 AM

31 posts, read 38,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Decatur is DeKalb County's seat. Hello?
You can call the City Schools of Decatur at 404-371-3601 and ask them if you don't believe me. The City of Decatur provides most services (Police, Fire, 911, parks,..) and relies on Dekalb county for a couple.

Old 10-02-2015, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tito_d View Post
You can call the City Schools of Decatur at 404-371-3601 and ask them if you don't believe me. The City of Decatur provides most services (Police, Fire, 911, parks,..) and relies on Dekalb county for a couple.
How does that make it not part of DeKalb County? I sure as heck paid DeKalb taxes when I lived there.

Old 10-02-2015, 11:07 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,783,663 times
Yes, the City of Decatur is part of Dekalb county.
No, the City of Decatur not what folks are talking about in reference to "What's wrong with Dekalb county?"
Yes, there is a significant racial component to that.
No, it is not all about race.

Old 10-02-2015, 11:27 AM

418 posts, read 906,227 times
Generally I laughed at how completely moronic the people that are in leadership positions in DeKalb County are - black or white - this is not about race. How stupid do you have to be to shake down a vendor (Burrell), ask your subordinate for a loan (May). What about the Commissioner from Dunwoody who charged thousands of dollars on the County's credit card for personal expenses. Lack of judgement = morons!!

Old 10-02-2015, 01:43 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
High Schools

Decatur High School (top rated high school in what you're describing as the top rated district in the state)
Arabia Mountain High School (a top rated high school in what you're describing as the lowest rated district)

9th Grade (other grades are not available on Great Schools for these schools. Don't know why)

Literature
Decatur 96%
Arabia 96%

Integrated Math 2 (2013 numbers)
Decatur 77%
Arabia 65%

Biology
Decatur 94%
Arabia 87%

Economics
Decatur 89%
Arabia 98%
Looks like Arabia is rolling.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta