Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 10:07 AM

1,383 posts, read 1,562,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
At least we don't have the threat of hurricanes
The threat of hurricanes in north Georgia isn't quite what it is in Florida, but we're not out of reach for them. Frances, Ivan, and Jeanne in 2004. Katrina in 2005.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 10:49 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,786,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDeadParrot View Post
The threat of hurricanes in north Georgia isn't quite what it is in Florida, but we're not out of reach for them. Frances, Ivan, and Jeanne in 2004. Katrina in 2005.
We just get rain though. They get destruction, generally speaking

Old 10-06-2015, 11:06 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,119,937 times
Quote:
Florida hasnt been hit by a hurricane in a long time. Atlanta has cold, wet winters every year.

Hurricanes are overblown in my opinion. You just have to prepare your home and not live in a city below sea level.

Old 10-06-2015, 11:26 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,786,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Florida hasnt been hit by a hurricane in a long time. Atlanta has cold, wet winters every year.

Hurricanes are overblown in my opinion. You just have to prepare your home and not live in a city below sea level.

You still have the threat of hurricanes even if you don't have one. You always have to think if the big one will hit this year. Florida weather is horrible with the bad humidity daily. Plus there are benefits in having cold weather. This is our rest period because most people who are very active here need to take a break for a month or so in winter to recover from all the festivals, concerts, parties, etc from the past year so being cold for one month gives us time to get ready for the dozens of events going on here in the spring and for Mardi Gras in New Orleans.

I will take one month of cold weather here verses not having to worry about the threat of hurricanes, living near thousands of child predators in FL , toll roads everywhere, senior citizens causing dozens of accidents daily, etc in Florida.

California Weather>>>>Florida Weather

Plus someone from Florida has no right to talk about weather in another state. The only people that can complain about weather are people in California. Someone living in Florida with probably the worst humidity in the country has no right talking about weather in another state.

Old 10-06-2015, 12:16 PM

8,486 posts, read 15,002,372 times
Quote:
Oh no, that's not true. While it's extremely rare, we have been impacted severely by Hurricanes in the past in the Atlanta. Hurricane Opal was the most recent one (1995) to do some major damage. Eight people died and it caused the following damage.

Quote:
The peak rainfall in Georgia was 8.66 inches (220 mm) in Marietta, 8.08 inches (205 mm) in Peachtree City and 7.17 in (182 mm) in west Atlanta. Southern Georgia only reported 1–3 inches (25–76 mm) of rain, while the northern part of the state reached about 5–7 inches (130–180 mm). The peak wind gust in Georgia was a 79 mph (127 km/h) gust in Marietta, a 70 mph (113 km/h) gust in Columbus, and a 56 mph (90 km/h) gust in the Atlanta-Hartsfield area.[16][21] High winds in Rabun County caused $5 million (1995 USD) from the approach of Opal on October 5. The damage was worst in Rabun County where numerous trees were blown down. The wind damage was described as being worse than the Superstorm of 1993. Power was out for some people for at least a week.[22] More than 4000 trees were knocked down within the city of Atlanta alone. These trees fell across roads, and on power lines, homes, mobile homes, and automobiles. More than a half a dozen people were injured from falling trees in the early morning hours of October 5. There were more than 1200 telephone poles knocked down and almost 5,000 power lines snapped. Power crews from surrounding states helped to restore power to many, however, thousands of residences remained without power through the weekend.

An 80 foot (24 m) gash was torn out of Interstate 285 between Roswell Road and the Glenridge Connector in Atlanta. Schools were closed on October 5 and October 6 throughout the cities of Atlanta, Marietta, and in Fulton, Coweta, Carroll and Douglas counties. A total of 47 of 101 schools were closed in Dekalb County alone. Four state parks were closed after Opal: Moccasin Creek Park, Black Rock Mountain, Vogel State Park, and Fort Mountain State Park. 273 stations reported many falling traffic lights. Agricultural experts estimated that damage to the pecan crop was about $50 million. Several rivers and creeks overflowed their banks.[23]

Tropical Storm Opal emerging into the Gulf.
Beginning the evening of October 4, numerous power outages were reported in metro Atlanta, where sustained tropical storm conditions overnight (including gusts to nearly 70 mph (110 km/h)) felled thousands of trees. Oaks were particularly susceptible, as their root systems were loosened by nearly two days included in a major disaster area.
I'll never forget the creepy sounds of the winds when the storm came in.

Old 10-06-2015, 12:23 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,218,275 times
What's that you say? A cold, wet winter? How will we survive??

I'll take a cold, wet winter, that rarely hits the single digits, over a blizzard or even the mention of a hurricane, let alone a hurricane SEASON.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:32 AM

1,164 posts, read 1,265,994 times
I've lived in Houston and New Orleans. Atlanta summers are not "brutal." I've lived in Minneapolis. Atlanta winters are not cold ("several days of subfreezing conditions" lol).

Ah, the Sun Belt!

Old 10-07-2015, 12:44 PM

719 posts, read 1,333,137 times
I think the weather in Metro Atlanta is hype. Honestly, not enough sunshine, and it does gets cold here. Also, we have too many days where it's grey and depressing and I'm not talking about recently. I've really taken notice the last 5+ years and we have a lot of precipitation here. It's not like in other places (More so FL), where you can have precip, and it clears and the sun comes out. Ours lingers for days and days. I think cities in the south with better weather are of course ORL, MIA, but even Houston. More sun, and true milder winter.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:46 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,159,198 times
Quote:

Here they are generally not a major problem.

The Gulf and the East Coasts are an entirely different matter.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:07 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:

Florida was hit by 4 storms in 2004 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_A..._season#Impact) and Wilma in 2005 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Wilma#Florida)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta