Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 01:30 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,164,606 times

Advertisements

This will certainly be a nice development for the westside...

Quote:
Due west of Buckhead and Interstate 75, real estate firm Cannon Equities is planning to build a sort of mixed-use mini-city that could bring more than 800 new residences to an under-the-radar section of Atlanta. Dwight Bell, the company's founder and CEO, told Bisnow the site is one of the largest urban infill opportunities left in Atlanta and has the potential to become a destination. Dubbed "The Quarter-Upper West Side," which is a mouthful, the project would rise just north of Crest Lawn Memorial Park on Bolton Drive, near Marietta Boulevard. More specifically, Bell envisions a 386-unit apartment complex, a collection of townhomes, condos and single-family residences, along with boutique shops, restaurants and a town square overlooking a park. If home prices in nearby nabes like Whittier Mill Village, Underwood Hills and Riverside are any indication, the proposed village could offer more affordable alternatives to basically everywhere on the flipside of town.
Developer Pitches New ITP Village West of Buckhead - Proposals of Note - Curbed Atlanta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 02:50 PM

444 posts, read 703,593 times
Isn't the concept of a city within city an outdated one....? How about a novel concept. like building a community that connects with the city.

Old 11-09-2015, 05:06 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,029 times
Damnit, I'm looking at houses up that way. Trying to escape the pricing that is coming along with all this mixed use, doubt this will help

Old 11-09-2015, 09:53 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,135,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYbyWAYofGA View Post
Isn't the concept of a city within city an outdated one....? How about a novel concept. like building a community that connects with the city.
I don't get it either. Why can't these 800 apartments actually go into the core so that the core can urbanize faster and we get a cohesive urbanized core like what Seattle is currently.

I'm tired of all of these urban islands that don't connect anywhere or even have transit. How does that create a city?

Old 11-10-2015, 04:59 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,962,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Why can't these 800 apartments actually go into the core so that the core can urbanize faster and we get a cohesive urbanized core like what Seattle is currently.

I'm tired of all of these urban islands that don't connect anywhere or even have transit. How does that create a city?
Because Seattle doesn't have a lot of undeveloped land within their city limits and we do. This plot of land and subsequent construction is likely many times cheaper than anything you can get in the core, even though they'll have to demo the old structures. Also, it's only 386 apartments and the rest is single family and townhomes. It just makes business sense, unfortunately. This will continue to happen until we either run out of space in the city or someone steps in with a smart urban plan (Keane!?).

Edit: I do wish for the same thing as you, Ant.

Old 11-10-2015, 09:10 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,358,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I don't get it either. Why can't these 800 apartments actually go into the core so that the core can urbanize faster and we get a cohesive urbanized core like what Seattle is currently.

Well, those of us who live in the area of this development are somewhat thrilled that SOMETHING is happening around here. We've been waiting on that Moore's Mill Shopping Center for over a decade, and we see how well that's gone. Unfortunately, I don't think this development will happen until the shopping center starts moving. I think the article is upselling it a bit in being a mini-city. It's a bunch of apartments and homes with some restaurants and shops.

While it may not be "in the core", this is only a few miles outside of it. It's not like it's in Forsyth County or something. And how does it not connect anywhere? It's on Marietta Blvd., a huge commuting route into downtown and midtown, and up to Cobb County. I live nearby and can be in downtown, midtown, marietta, vinings, cumberland, buckhead, and almost to perimeter in 15-20 minutes in normal traffic. That's not a bad deal at all in this city.

As far as transit, it's right on one MARTA bus route, and about 1/4 mile from two other bus routes. May not be rail, but it's transit.

As far as pricing tikigod...this area is still pretty low. alco..there are no structures to demolish.

(PS...I'll also note that the other thread about the mini city where numerous people said "if this were happening ITP, you guys would be doing backflips"...looks like they were all wrong).

Old 11-11-2015, 09:56 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,997,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
Because Seattle doesn't have a lot of undeveloped land within their city limits and we do.
No we don't. What we do have an abundance of is land that was developed but no longer used for that purpose. For example, a lot of the empty space in the city (especially in the core) used to have a factory or other commercial enterprise on it that was torn down. It may have also been the city of a housing project or a pre-AHA slum area that never had anything else put on it. Outside of the nature preserves on the south side, pretty much all of the City of Atlanta has been developed.

Now how well it has been developed is an entirely different conversation.

As for these "city within a city" development, while I am not a fan, I'm not that big of detractor either. Any high density residential development in the city is a good one. There is also no rule book that says that it has to happen from the inside out. While that is ideal, it's not a necessary component for success.

For example cities like NYC, London, or Barcelona did not develop this way. They actually had a development pattern closer to ours and filled in over time. In NYC, development was sporadic and haphazard until the Commissioners Plan was implemented in the middle part of the 19th century. Modern Greater London was a sporadic collection of towns that just kept sprawling until it even became a cohesive unit. Barcelona was a crowded seaside town with streets going all over the place until the Eixample project started in the late 19th century.

As they say, building a city doesn't happen over night.

Old 11-11-2015, 03:16 PM

32,022 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Well, those of us who live in the area of this development are somewhat thrilled that SOMETHING is happening around here. We've been waiting on that Moore's Mill Shopping Center for over a decade, and we see how well that's gone. Unfortunately, I don't think this development will happen until the shopping center starts moving.
Why does the mayor oppose redevelopment of the shopping center?

Mayor Reed vetoes use of Impact Fees to extend Moores Mill Rd. - BuckheadView

Old 11-11-2015, 03:33 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,120,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Why does the mayor oppose redevelopment of the shopping center?

Mayor Reed vetoes use of Impact Fees to extend Moores Mill Rd. - BuckheadView
Because he hates Felicia Moore.

Old 11-11-2015, 04:04 PM

225 posts, read 277,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Because he hates Felicia Moore.
This.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta