Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 03:11 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,157,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
One road that makes commuting in North Fulton absolute hell is Houze/Arnold Mill. And according to this, it's a 2nd tier priority. I'll be dead by then. Because right turn on red is allowed on both Rucker and Crabapple, the intersections are constantly blocked during rush hours. Traffic can't flow when drivers can't clear the intersection.

I've written letters asking that red light turns be restricted during certain hours. No response. Maybe somebody will read it here.
North Fulton's roads were created back when it was mostly farmland. Once off of Alpharetta Highway, Windward Parkway, etc., the traffic is just brutal in some places during rush hour. And with no end in sight to sprawl, it's only going to get worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2017, 06:44 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times

https://saportareport.com/fulton-con...ampaign=buffer

Old 12-16-2017, 07:33 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,121,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
No HRT extension to Windward? Ugh.

Old 12-16-2017, 07:45 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
No HRT extension to Windward? Ugh.
I wonder if the NS rail to Hapeville funding can match ClayCo's MARTA funding?

Old 12-16-2017, 10:13 AM

9,829 posts, read 7,262,857 times
I don't understand any of this stuff. A couple years ago, 1/2 penny MARTA tax in Fulton apparently would have paid for more or less all this stuff mentioned here, with HRT up to Windward. So what changed there? Now a 1/2 penny wouldn't even necessarily afford any new rail at all? Huh? I guess that must be 4 really high quality BRT lines..

And it really would be a shame to bring the HRT up 400 all the way to Roswell, but then not go up a bit further to Avalon- which would/could be their best MARTA station in all of N Fulton, by far. I guess if they designed the BRT in tunnels and such that could be converted to HRT later- but at that point you might as well just make it HRT to begin with.

Without Gwinnett's involvement in some way, you can't really do a meaningful BRT for Johns Creek along 141. Or really for the farthest parts of East Roswell. You would want the Holcomb Bridge BRT ideally to run to a new station on the Gold Line.

And why the heck is commuter rail not even being considered for S Fulton? Especially since they want to do a "BRT" on Hwy 29 way down to Palmetto, which parallels the rail? Palmetto to College Park is a super far distance for a bus trip.

But I guess any of this stuff would be better than nothing. Whatever though, I'm glad I left the total mess that is Fulton.

Old 12-16-2017, 01:16 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,121,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
I don't understand any of this stuff. A couple years ago, 1/2 penny MARTA tax in Fulton apparently would have paid for more or less all this stuff mentioned here, with HRT up to Windward. So what changed there? Now a 1/2 penny wouldn't even necessarily afford any new rail at all? Huh? I guess that must be 4 really high quality BRT lines..

And it really would be a shame to bring the HRT up 400 all the way to Roswell, but then not go up a bit further to Avalon- which would/could be their best MARTA station in all of N Fulton, by far. I guess if they designed the BRT in tunnels and such that could be converted to HRT later- but at that point you might as well just make it HRT to begin with.
It's all bull****. This is Fulton County half-assing "transit" by piggybacking on GDOT's express-lane plan for 400 and calling it "BRT."

Old 12-16-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I wonder if the NS rail to Hapeville funding can match ClayCo's MARTA funding?
Quote:

Without Gwinnett's involvement in some way, you can't really do a meaningful BRT for Johns Creek along 141. Or really for the farthest parts of East Roswell. You would want the Holcomb Bridge BRT ideally to run to a new station on the Gold Line.

And why the heck is commuter rail not even being considered for S Fulton? Especially since they want to do a "BRT" on Hwy 29 way down to Palmetto, which parallels the rail? Palmetto to College Park is a super far distance for a bus trip.

But I guess any of this stuff would be better than nothing. Whatever though, I'm glad I left the total mess that is Fulton.
Yeah I thought the expansion into Clayton was going to be commuter rail. When did the revival of heavy rail to Hapeville happen?

Old 12-16-2017, 01:50 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,262,857 times
I doubt they're gonna do heavy rail to Hapeville. But if they do, that line should continue on to Jonesboro, and that would be Clayton's rapid transit solution, instead of commuter rail. There shouldn't be both heavy rail and commuter rail.

Old 12-16-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
I doubt they're gonna do heavy rail to Hapeville. But if they do, that line should continue on to Jonesboro, and that would be Clayton's rapid transit solution, instead of commuter rail. There shouldn't be both heavy rail and commuter rail.
Yeah. It should be commuter rail, with stops at the future MMPT, East Point, Hapeville, and then continuing down the line.

Old 12-16-2017, 02:13 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,527,927 times
I don't know, with CRT down into Clayton, I could see HRT branching off and stopping at Hapeville and terminating at the international terminal; basically turning right and following Charles W. Grant parkway into the airport. CRT would stop at Mountain View for transfer via shuttle to the airport, and East Point for more direct transfer to MARTA. I think a shuttle would suffice for CRT on this line because how many people will be coming up from Clayton to the airport? I doubt it would be enough for a dedicated rail line. Anyone coming south from Atlanta could use CRT to a main station on the west side of the airport, or HRT directly to either terminal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta