Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 02:58 PM

29 posts, read 35,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I think you have it backwards. Those areas improved, making Krog St. and PCM possible.
Yes those areas improved prior to KSM and PCM coming in, but with those additions the areas became even more desirable and we saw that with price increasing on the housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 03:26 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,792,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jms123 View Post
Yes that makes sense... the issue is, which of those areas? Some are further along than others so it's hard to tell what would make sense right now and for the future.
From there it is a balancing act of needs, wants, and what's available. Which is the best commute for you? Do you have kids, or expect to have kids in the future? Is there a good chance you will need/want to sell in the next 5 years? Are you and your fiancé really COMPLETELY on the same page with a fixer or less polished area? Really, it might be easier to decide what areas of the east-side you are not comfortable with/do not work for you, and cross-shop everything else. I don't know my school zones, does Toomer Elementary only serve Kirkwood? You might look in that school zone. As Kirkwood prices have gone up, I would expect for the neigborhood clout to go up also. So, if you don't want to pay Kirkwood prices, it might be good to at least to ride that wave a little, and tie your wagon to that group (even if you have no plans to have kids). Outside of that, probably stay in the Jackson Cluster. Just some ideas.

Old 06-01-2016, 03:29 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,911,427 times
If you know you love Inman I'd just stay there and keep renting

Old 06-01-2016, 06:11 PM

34 posts, read 58,785 times
We've been looking in the same area as you (just not as long), so feel free to bounce ideas of me via PM if you'd like. My wife works in criminal law so she's a li...well...a lot more forgiving of crime than the average person. Still, when driving through Peoplestown we got a "this place isn't turning around anytime soon" vibe. We also used to rent in O4W, so we viewed Peoplestown similar to Boulevard in that its just that spot that's always going to be a problem area. The interesting spot is Summerville with the Georgia State development. I believe they are intending to build a lot of dorms in that area, so that might improve the area. We felt that area had a better chance of being a "hot spot" than Peoplestown. Still, I think we've settled on finding a property east of Hill St, north of the future Beltline, and somewhere in the Grand Park/Ormewood Park area. From what I've seen $325,000 can get you a solid home and definitely a great townhome. I would just be ready to pay full closing costs. Lastly, it appears that fixer-uppers are harder to find than actual renovated houses because investors snap them right up. Anyways, good luck!

Old 06-02-2016, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
From there it is a balancing act of needs, wants, and what's available. Which is the best commute for you? Do you have kids, or expect to have kids in the future? Is there a good chance you will need/want to sell in the next 5 years? Are you and your fiancé really COMPLETELY on the same page with a fixer or less polished area? Really, it might be easier to decide what areas of the east-side you are not comfortable with/do not work for you, and cross-shop everything else. I don't know my school zones, does Toomer Elementary only serve Kirkwood? You might look in that school zone. As Kirkwood prices have gone up, I would expect for the neigborhood clout to go up also. So, if you don't want to pay Kirkwood prices, it might be good to at least to ride that wave a little, and tie your wagon to that group (even if you have no plans to have kids). Outside of that, probably stay in the Jackson Cluster. Just some ideas.
Thank you for your advice. We would stay for about 5 years and build some equity. We are expecting to only afford a 2 bed/ 2 bath home at the moment. In the next 5-7 years as future kids get to pre-school age I would assume we would move somewhere with a good school zone and a third bedroom.

My fiance and I are on the same page with fixing up a place. He is very handy and could a lot of the work himself. He also works from home when he isn't traveling so that is a plus if we do find a place that needs work. We are both very in-between about what area to live in. We both don't want to live somewhere that we would be afraid of or afraid to leave the house without it getting broken into.

Is Kirkwood still kind of affordable right now? I don't know much about it but will definitely take a drive over there this weekend to take a look.

Old 06-02-2016, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post
If you know you love Inman I'd just stay there and keep renting
I would love to do that but I am afraid if we don't jump on the housing wagon soon we will be priced out of everything on the east side in the city.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyInAtlanta View Post
We've been looking in the same area as you (just not as long), so feel free to bounce ideas of me via PM if you'd like. My wife works in criminal law so she's a li...well...a lot more forgiving of crime than the average person. Still, when driving through Peoplestown we got a "this place isn't turning around anytime soon" vibe. We also used to rent in O4W, so we viewed Peoplestown similar to Boulevard in that its just that spot that's always going to be a problem area. The interesting spot is Summerville with the Georgia State development. I believe they are intending to build a lot of dorms in that area, so that might improve the area. We felt that area had a better chance of being a "hot spot" than Peoplestown. Still, I think we've settled on finding a property east of Hill St, north of the future Beltline, and somewhere in the Grand Park/Ormewood Park area. From what I've seen $325,000 can get you a solid home and definitely a great townhome. I would just be ready to pay full closing costs. Lastly, it appears that fixer-uppers are harder to find than actual renovated houses because investors snap them right up. Anyways, good luck!
Yes, we got that vibe too in Peoplestown! Are you guys looking for a house or townhouse? Let me know if you end up finding something!

Old 06-02-2016, 07:25 AM

687 posts, read 746,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jms123 View Post
Hi Everyone!

I moved to ATL a year ago and live in Inman with my fiance in an apartment. We both love the active beltline life style, but cannot afford a home in the area.

We are open to townhome/condo or house and have been looking the past 6 months in Grant Park, Ormewood Park, Peoplestown, Boulevard Heights, Reynoldstown, Edgewood, EAV and East Atlanta. Our budget is $325k. I am open to a fixer-upper if it's lower in price.

I love the idea of living next to the new and coming Beacon (on Grant street), however, that area of Peoplestown near Grant street seems pretty far behind still. Will the Beacon turn the area around as much as Krog/Ponce City turned Inman and Poncey around? Are the Memorial renovations more promising perhaps?

I have also inquired about the new Boulevard Heights townhomes and can't seem to get an answer from Edward Andrews on pricing and completion of the project.

Where does everyone think would be a safe bet to invest on? I know nothing is 100% sure, but do you think the Beltline will transform the areas of Peoplestown and Boulevard Heights enough that it is worth buying right now?

Thank you so much!
I actually think those few streets around Grant St are pretty great areas already and will only get better when the Beacon starts to fill out....obviously the further west you go into Peoplestown you do run the risk.

But for $325k you could get a great house, even in Grant Park. A really nice southern style bungalow just sold on Robinson St for $289k, I thought that was a steal.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:44 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,728,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLondoner View Post
I actually think those few streets around Grant St are pretty great areas already and will only get better when the Beacon starts to fill out....obviously the further west you go into Peoplestown you do run the risk.

But for $325k you could get a great house, even in Grant Park. A really nice southern style bungalow just sold on Robinson St for $289k, I thought that was a steal.
I agree. That house on Robinson had some issues, so I imagine somebody will be doing a good amount of renovation there, or at least add on. Still, I think it was a good deal in the current market. I personally think if you are looking for a house to build equity in, the hot spot is south of Atlanta where the beltline will be coming and everything that goes along with that, like Eventide Brewery and the Beacon. I also wouldn't hesitate to venture a block or 2 past Hill into Peoplestown, but probably not further right now. There are some great townhomes off Grant St. that sell at a good price, and will be right in the middle of all of the new development.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:45 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,912,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
Toomer only serves Kirkwood and East Lake. Peoplestown is served by DH Stanton http://www.atlanta.k12.ga.us/cms/lib...%20Stanton.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta