Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 12:17 PM

761 posts, read 907,514 times

Advertisements

Dan Cathy, partners unveil Pinewood Forrest | www.ajc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 01:37 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,875,645 times
This actually looks pretty awesome:

https://whatnowatlanta.com/dan-cathy...ewood-forrest/
http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...e-project.html

Nice that they are doing some New Urbanism inspired design and running a shuttle to connect with MARTA.

Old 07-21-2016, 04:43 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,885 times
Same perspective from space, facing east - https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4704.../data=!3m1!1e3

It looks like a quality development. I certainly have my reservations about this, but it looks nice! Looks like the district names are just themes. With Dan Cathy behind it, I expect it will be quality

Two concerns: Reliance on the film industry and the appeal of "middle of nowhere" density

Old 07-21-2016, 05:01 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,262,857 times
Yeah, high density in the middle of rural low density like this, is always weird, to me. It's like, why?

Old 07-21-2016, 05:04 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,746,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Yeah, high density in the middle of rural low density like this, is always weird, to me. It's like, why?
Isn't that what any city is? High density surrounded by Low density?

Old 07-21-2016, 05:19 PM

560 posts, read 667,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Honestly, the thing is, this isn't like Avalon in Alpharetta. This isn't being built for you or me. Our visiting the shops and restaurants or even buying a small home here is incidental to this development's success.

This is for Pinewood Studios. This is for RDJ to return to after a grueling day of shooting Avengers 3. This is for Hollywood. Its survival is not determined by how many metro Atlantans patronize it. Its survival and success is ensured until Pinewood stops being profitable. And that happens only if the tax incentives expire.

This one is impressive, for sure. But the people developing this aren't concerned with "new urbanism" or anything like that. This is being developed for the people who work in the film industry, specifically, the above-the-line talent who work at Pinewood, so that they have some place to live for part of the year and shop for sundries at while they're in the area.

Pinewood Studios is the engine. Pinewood Studios is the commerce. Pinewood Studios is the "downtown" that this is built around. It's actually not that inorganic. There is a center of commerce there already. This development is just the logical outcome of a gigantic studio's daily necessities (temp housing, shops, etc).

Old 07-21-2016, 05:25 PM

162 posts, read 154,046 times
This is great news.

Old 07-21-2016, 05:58 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
Wow. If the tax credits end or something else happens to the film industry, this will be a total ghost town.

They must have a lot of good assurances that isn't going to happen. Isn't this kind of how the film industry sprouted up in LA, they went where land was plentiful and cheap?

Old 07-22-2016, 08:05 AM

761 posts, read 907,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Wow. If the tax credits end or something else happens to the film industry, this will be a total ghost town.

They must have a lot of good assurances that isn't going to happen. Isn't this kind of how the film industry sprouted up in LA, they went where land was plentiful and cheap?
I'm not sure land in Fayette County is "cheap". Fayette County is one of the 50 wealthiest counties in the country and has some of the highest average home prices of any metro county, but I guess by Hollywood standards it would be considered cheap. The land is plentiful in Fayette County due to zoning restrictions outside of city limits. Homes must be on a minimum of 5-10 acres if they aren't in the city limits. They had to get Pinewood zoned into Fayetteville's city limits to get around the zoning restrictions for a development like this.

The Pinewood development would not have happened without the tax credits and billionaire Dan Cathy supporting it. Dan lives in Fayette County and this was his pet project.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:57 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,875,645 times
Distance is relative. This is as close to downtown as north Fulton.

This is basically a traditional small town being built from scratch. That is not a new idea either. Things like Mill Villages have been built from scratch for hundreds of years.

This is really what the best version of the suburbs. If I were ever to live in a suburb it would be a walkable small town centered around a transit connection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta