Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 03:27 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,157,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Sure, hipsters (and every other type of person) hang out there, but to say that's all it is is beyond silly, and suggests you have an axe to grind. The truth is it's one of Atlanta's best self-contained full-service neighborhoods. It has a pharmacy, a wide variety of restaurants and bars, music theaters and nightclubs, a grocery co-op, a post office, lots of clothing stores, a credit union, shoe stores, gas stations, bookstores, hair salons, a bike shop, coffee shops, and a bunch of specialty businesses (tattoo shops, liquor store, record stores, hi-fi shops geared towards DJs, stores specializing in Native American goods, New Age shop, custom t-shirt shop, a dog grooming salon, etc.), numerous neighborhood festivals throughout the year, easy access to big box stores and grocery stores, and a bunch more amenities that I'm forgetting.

There's no other neighborhood in Atlanta that has all of that within such an easily walkable area, and for that reason alone, it's nothing like what you describe.
Silly, I didn't say it was bad. I just said it was overrated. There are plenty of other "hip" places in town: Virginia-Highlands, East Atlanta, and practically all of Midtown. L5P is like that quirky flavor of ice cream that tastes great the first few times but becomes kinda meh after awhile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2016, 05:18 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Silly, I didn't say it was bad. I just said it was overrated. There are plenty of other "hip" places in town: Virginia-Highlands, East Atlanta, and practically all of Midtown. L5P is like that quirky flavor of ice cream that tastes great the first few times but becomes kinda meh after awhile.
You said it was nothing more than a hipster hangout. This is probably the best example I've ever seen of "can't see the forest for the trees."

VH and Midtown are not hip. They're yuppie. And neither of them offer the amenities that L5P does in as easily walkable of an area.

Old 11-16-2016, 06:20 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,859,250 times
At the risk of being strung up by "foodies," I'll dare to say that I do not see the appeal of Bacchanalia. It's nice, no doubt, but is it worth the hype and the expense? Not to me. I've been to quite a few places where I enjoyed the food just as much and the experience more (Serpas, the late 4th and Swift, even places in the burbs like McKendricks). Blasphemy, I know.

Old 11-17-2016, 09:34 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
I actually really enjoyed the World of Coca-Cola. It gives a very interesting history of the company and history buffs and Coke fans alike IMO would enjoy it. It also is not all that expensive compared to other nearby attractions, especially the Aquarium, which I do think is highly overrated and not worth the money.

I also like Atlantic Station. I don't see why it would be a tourist attraction though. It is a place to live and shop. For people who live there, it is cool. Nice, centrally located and newer construction with a lot of amenities.

Old 11-17-2016, 10:31 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,885 times
I personally love L5P, but I wouldn't rate it as a must see for tourists

Old 11-17-2016, 11:01 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
At the risk of being strung up by "foodies," I'll dare to say that I do not see the appeal of Bacchanalia. It's nice, no doubt, but is it worth the hype and the expense? Not to me. I've been to quite a few places where I enjoyed the food just as much and the experience more (Serpas, the late 4th and Swift, even places in the burbs like McKendricks). Blasphemy, I know.
Couldn't agree with you more.

Old 11-22-2016, 09:04 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,362,007 times
Y'all did not order correctly at the Varsity: Chili slaw dog, onion rings, and a frosted orange with a fried pie for dessert. Order and eat this delicious meal (in moderation) and you will be a Varsity fan forever!

Old 11-22-2016, 09:09 PM
bu2

24,106 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
Y'all did not order correctly at the Varsity: Chili slaw dog, onion rings, and a frosted orange with a fried pie for dessert. Order and eat this delicious meal (in moderation) and you will be a Varsity fan forever!
Sorry, won't let me add to your reputation. Says I have to spread it around!

Varsity is an experience as well.

Old 11-25-2016, 10:37 PM

322 posts, read 465,241 times
Colonnade, particularly on Thanksgiving!

Old 11-26-2016, 11:11 AM

5,003 posts, read 5,983,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
World of Coke isn't that bad. I wouldn't go all the time but I went once and enjoyed. If you never drink Coke you might not care for it but it's not really overrated.
The aquarium isn't that great, but if you've never been you have to go at least once. I've been enough times the past few years to hold me over for a decade but I wouldn't discourage people from visiting.
I consider World of Coke to be one of the worst paid tourist attractions I've ever been to. Especially considering we waited in line for maybe 30 minutes like it was really special. That being said I'm in the minority of the people I've talked to. Pretty much everyone is somewhere in the range of "it was ok and enjoyed it but wouldn't go back" to "they really liked it and highly recommend it."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta