Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 08:26 AM

14 posts, read 17,087 times

Advertisements

We are a family of 4 moving to Decatur in the next 6 months. I’m looking for opinions on the best City of Decatur neighborhoods for walkability (to elementary schools, parks and shops), and community (friendly involved neighbors). Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2019, 10:18 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,511,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nycsully View Post
We are a family of 4 moving to Decatur in the next 6 months. I’m looking for opinions on the best City of Decatur neighborhoods for walkability (to elementary schools, parks and shops), and community (friendly involved neighbors). Thanks!
Pretty much anything and everything within the corporate limits of the City of Decatur proper... A 4.27 square-mile area that is also the service area of the excellent Decatur City Schools system.

Old 02-25-2019, 12:11 PM

2,167 posts, read 2,832,003 times
There isn't tons of measurable difference between the City of Decatur neighborhoods at this point. They are all pretty well fully matured and gentrified. Other than downtown decatur, Oakhurst is the next largest commercial node of shops and restaurants. Decatur has a sort of funky split for it's elementary schools (K-3, 4/5, middle, high) that is changing again before the 2019 school year starts to K-2, 3-5, middle, high. Some of the attendance zones are changing as part of that rollover, so you'll want to consider what schools you'd be attending in future years, which may differ from what is shown as part of current real estate listings. Being a block away from an elementary school doesn't hold a lot of value if your youngest will be in 3rd grade by the time you move, because they would never attend.

Also, when considering your budget, keep in mind that Decatur has the highest property taxes in the state. $10k property tax bills are not uncommon.

Old 02-25-2019, 01:43 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,260,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
There isn't tons of measurable difference between the City of Decatur neighborhoods at this point. They are all pretty well fully matured and gentrified. Other than downtown decatur, Oakhurst is the next largest commercial node of shops and restaurants. Decatur has a sort of funky split for it's elementary schools (K-3, 4/5, middle, high) that is changing again before the 2019 school year starts to K-2, 3-5, middle, high. Some of the attendance zones are changing as part of that rollover, so you'll want to consider what schools you'd be attending in future years, which may differ from what is shown as part of current real estate listings. Being a block away from an elementary school doesn't hold a lot of value if your youngest will be in 3rd grade by the time you move, because they would never attend.

Also, when considering your budget, keep in mind that Decatur has the highest property taxes in the state. $10k property tax bills are not uncommon.
If OP is coming from New York as his handle indicates, $10K isn't seen as a huge burden. In the outskirts of NYC (Westchester and Long Island) $10K would be seen as cheap for a lot less house.

Old 02-25-2019, 03:15 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,321,996 times
I recommend Oakhurst. Walkable, friendly, good schools. Easier to navigate and less traffic than Decatur's downtown neighborhood.

Old 02-25-2019, 04:07 PM

12 posts, read 40,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
I recommend Oakhurst. Walkable, friendly, good schools. Easier to navigate and less traffic than Decatur's downtown neighborhood.
Less traffic? Really? Not so sure about this. All of Decatur is not too bad, but I would not say Oakhurst has less traffic.

Pretty much everywhere in Decatur is walkable too.

Old 02-25-2019, 04:54 PM
bu2

24,107 posts, read 14,899,793 times
Oakhurst and the area north of the tracks near downtown Decatur will be near shops. All of the city will be walkable to parks and schools (but as mentioned above, it does depend on the age level).

Old 02-25-2019, 07:54 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,321,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by este.eri View Post
Less traffic? Really? Not so sure about this. All of Decatur is not too bad, but I would not say Oakhurst has less traffic.

Pretty much everywhere in Decatur is walkable too.
Definitely. Traffic in Decatur is horrible during rush hour. Scott Blvd and Clairmont is a nightmare, especially turning left onto Clairmont. McDonough into downtown backs up quite a bit. Clairmont toward Decatur is horrible from 4-6pm.

Oakhurst? I never bump into any traffic there even during rush hour.

Oakhurst is more walkable because it's almost all residential aside from the little downtown village. Roads have less traffic and are safer. Downtown Decatur has many busy roads splitting it that are less safe for walking (Scott, Clairmont, Ponce)

Old 02-26-2019, 11:53 AM
bu2

24,107 posts, read 14,899,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
Definitely. Traffic in Decatur is horrible during rush hour. Scott Blvd and Clairmont is a nightmare, especially turning left onto Clairmont. McDonough into downtown backs up quite a bit. Clairmont toward Decatur is horrible from 4-6pm.

Oakhurst? I never bump into any traffic there even during rush hour.

Oakhurst is more walkable because it's almost all residential aside from the little downtown village. Roads have less traffic and are safer. Downtown Decatur has many busy roads splitting it that are less safe for walking (Scott, Clairmont, Ponce)
While I agree with you, I don't really consider those busy intersections "downtown." Ponce is fairly calm beyond where it splits off from Scott.

Old 02-26-2019, 03:11 PM

14 posts, read 17,087 times
Thanks - this is all helpful information. Especially the details about traffic and safe areas for walking. We have a rising kindergartener and 3rd grader, so I have at least a few years of 2 separate school dropoffs/pickups which makes the southern Decatur neighborhoods of Oakhurst and Winona Park more attractive (since the K-2 & Talley/FAVE are closer together). But, those neighborhoods also seem to have fewer houses/townhomes under $500k. Does anyone do a westchester /clairemont + FAVE drop-off? I’m thinking it’s probably not feasible to walk/bike it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: