Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 03:40 PM

1,323 posts, read 589,707 times

Advertisements

I moved back to Atlanta recently, family in tow and soon have to make decision on where to buy and settled down, finally.

So if you were dealing with the following scenario, where would you go?

- Kids will be hybrid homeschooled, so schools are not an issue, but having young kids in the immediate neighborhood is important.

- Currently comfortable purchasing between $350-$375k now, but our household income will increase in the next two years, pushing our budget to $500-$550k

- Neighborly neighbors are important. I grew up in a suburb where we hardly knew our next door neighbors. Don't want to revisit that.

- Currently renting very expensively in EAV.

So would you buy a larger, newer/renovated home now in either Northcrest or Marietta (near the square), a smaller home in EAV, Ormewood or a fixer upper in Edgewood?

OR

Keep renting until income increases and buy newer/larger in Kirkwood, East Lake, Ormewood or some other family neighborhood thatI'm not aware?

I'm not sure if we're in a bit of bubble and should get something now, or just be patient.

EDIT: Both my husband and I work from home, so commuting is not an issue. But getting stuck in the house is, so having places to pop into nearby would be ideal.

Last edited by kajo13; 03-21-2017 at 03:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2017, 03:44 PM

2,167 posts, read 2,833,283 times
Commute is usually at or near the top of people's list of concerns when considering where to move. There is a big difference between EAV and Marietta in that regard, depending on where work is.

Old 03-21-2017, 03:52 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,909,465 times
What are your hobbies?

Old 03-21-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
Commute is usually at or near the top of people's list of concerns when considering where to move. There is a big difference between EAV and Marietta in that regard, depending on where work is.
I failed to mention that I work from home, so commuting is not an issue. So now it's just a matter of judging a place solely on its local merits.

Old 03-21-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post
What are your hobbies?
Work, side business and keeping my kids off of each other.

When I do have time - museums, bookstores, happily now going to soccer games, writing in coffee shops and the rare live music event.

Old 03-21-2017, 04:31 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,670,079 times
Are you looking at Georgia Cyber or some other vehicle to homeschool? Or actually taking your kids somewhere for part of their schooling?

Old 03-21-2017, 04:54 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,790,000 times
At a the rate things are going, I wouldn't be that sure that the extra $$ would get you much more in a few years, or that interest rates will be that low. If you would feel comfortable in Edgewood now, and there is something you like, that's where I would go. Maybe get something that could be expanded when your income goes up. It is virtually surrounded by nice or rapidly gentrifying places. If you feel comfortable with what you can buy there now, it seems like a safe bet.

Old 03-21-2017, 07:33 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,317,557 times
jeoff's advice makes sense to me, though I am partial to the Square, as we live there and love its walkability and the great shops, restaurants, festivals and whatnot we have. There's plenty of that to be had in town, too, of course, so it comes down to personal preference.

I will say that the number of detached, renovated or new construction single family homes within walking distance to the Square in the $350-375k range is extremely limited at the moment. I do see a few, but it's certainly not the norm. New/renovated here generally starts at around $400k now, with most homes fitting that description coming in at between $450k and $550k. If you're willing to go out Whitlock Avenue or Powder Springs Street a little ways from the Square, you'd find a good deal more in that range, but would give up some of the walkability. The Square is extremely hot right now!

Good luck in your search, in any event, and feel free to ask further questions!

Old 03-21-2017, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Are you looking at Georgia Cyber or some other vehicle to homeschool? Or actually taking your kids somewhere for part of their schooling?
I'm looking at two homeschool co-ops, one OTP in Cobb County and the other in EAV. There's a PT STEM program close to Emory that I would also use to supplement education if we stay intown.

Old 03-21-2017, 07:52 PM

Quote:
At a the rate things are going, I wouldn't be that sure that the extra $$ would get you much more in a few years, or that interest rates will be that low. If you would feel comfortable in Edgewood now, and there is something you like, that's where I would go. Maybe get something that could be expanded when your income goes up. It is virtually surrounded by nice or rapidly gentrifying places. If you feel comfortable with what you can buy there now, it seems like a safe bet.
That's the thing, I've been around long enough to know that real estate never goes up indefinitely. And there are enough small indicators that suggest to me something may be amiss.

As for Edgewood, it's just a matter of time before it starts to blend into the other areas, or rather the other areas start to blend into it. I like the idea of buying a gut job for $225K, spending $150k initially and, to your point, add on as necessary. The equity earned should ride out any future downturn.

But it's still rough around corners. If I were w/o children I wouldn't hesitate.

Quote:
though I am partial to the Square, as we live there and love its walkability and the great shops, restaurants, festivals and whatnot we have
How's the neighborly vibe? If you have kids, is it the sort place where they're familial with other kids? Or is it more typical like regular suburbs, where people are friendly, but not friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta