Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2017, 02:31 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Or were they pressured into admitting that?
The lady didn't sound like she was being pressured when she was interviewed by reporters.

GDOT and the rest of the government would have gotten major heat if they'd said, "We're not making any repairs until we figure out who caused this and especially whether any white males were involved."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 02:33 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
The lady didn't sound like she was being pressured when she was interviewed by reporters.

GDOT and the rest of the government would have gotten major heat if they'd said, "We're not making any repairs until we figure out who caused this and especially whether any white males were involved."
Sir, you obviously have no idea how law enforcement forces innocent people into taking a plea deal because they threaten them with X amount years if it goes to trail, or sign this plea and you'll go for 1/4 of the time.

Old 04-04-2017, 02:37 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,695,326 times
Quote:
Sir, you obviously have no idea how law enforcement forces innocent people into taking a plea deal because they threaten them with X amount years if it goes to trail, or sign this plea and you'll go for 1/4 of the time.
Well, I do.

It's just that until there's solid evidence to the contrary, there's not much that can be done. Do you have any evidence that things didn't happen as are being reported? Do you have anything more tangible than some kind of... gut feeling, I suppose?

Old 04-04-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Just don't ask Georgia to fund it , they'll be glad to take the feds hand out.
Even more importantly, let's be sure not to ask big business or universities to chip in for public transportation that delivers people to their front door.

Nobody knows since they've never been asked, but what if they said no, or maybe yes, or something in between? That would be so horrible.

Old 04-04-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Well, I do.

It's just that until there's solid evidence to the contrary, there's not much that can be done. Do you have any evidence that things didn't happen as are being reported? Do you have anything more tangible than some kind of... gut feeling, I suppose?
Just a gut feeling... I'm not a conspiracy theory kind guy, but smoking crack under that bridge just seems way too easy. Like the majority of people would accept it and never think twice; crackheads gonna crackhead.

Old 04-04-2017, 02:54 PM

1,054 posts, read 922,513 times
The man is mentally challenged.

Witnesses say he deliberately set a couch on fire on top of a Target buggy down there.

Old 04-04-2017, 06:56 PM

https://www.georgiapol.com/2017/04/0...otter-85-fire/
Quote:
A reporter asked Georgia Department of Transportation commissioner Russell McMurry if the homeless guy charged with arson, Basil Eleby, is a scapegoat.

“I won’t speculate on what people call the person who caused this fire,” McMurry said.

Note the phrasing. Eleby caused the fire. Not GDOT.

GDOT did nothing wrong. That’s the line.

When the state or local government screws up, they’re usually invulnerable to criminal prosecution or serious civil prosecution

Old 04-04-2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Well, I do.

Well, I know about that sort of thing, too, and certainly don't want to see sme innocent person crushed by the system. If that's what is happening I'll be glad to stick up for this fellow.

From what I've seen thus far there is probably blame in more than one place.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:41 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,504,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorsZ71 View Post
I was looking at moving to midtown, then the bridge collapsed due to irresponsible crack heads (those jerkwads), if I will be moving by June 1st time frame you think I might be ok? Guess it's hard to say how long it could take to replace the ole bridge, but when I look at alternate routes to go from Dunwoody where I work to midtown in afternoon it says to go 2-85 west to 75 south.
Interstate 285 westbound to I-75 southbound will be your best (and only) practical alternate superhighway route....A route that will see significantly increased traffic volumes during peak traffic and daylight hours.

Your only other practical alternate routing will be to board a southbound MARTA Red Line heavy rail train (subway train) at the Dunwoody MARTA Station and exit the train at one of the three MARTA stations that is most convenient to your place of work in the Midtown area (at either the Arts Center, the Midtown or the North Avenue MARTA stations) in the morning and vice-versa in the afternoon/evening.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:56 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,504,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTCM View Post
An important point is that these pipes where not flammable but rather they are combustible. I know that change seems minor but it's actually significant.

Flammable is a completely different class of material which is easily set on fire and burn quickly. By definition a flammable product could never be used as conduit due to the risk of electrical arking.

Flammables are a completely different animal when it comes to storage and would never be stored under an interstate.
After the viaduct burned down and closed a critical stretch of superhighway in a city with dangerously few alternate transportation options, I don't think that anyone cares about the technicalities of whether the materials stored under the freeway bridge were flammable or combustible.

Most people just know that the materials stored under the bridge were highly-combustible enough to be set ablaze (apparently by a random crack addict) and wreak havoc with their collective daily routines.

...And as a result, the public consensus has become that any materials that are either highly-combustible and/or highly-flammable most likely should not be stored under an exceptionally busy freeway overpass for an extended period of time in an area where those apparently unsafe materials will have the opportunity to be set ablaze by the area's high local population of transient and homeless crack addicts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta