Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 03:09 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,169,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
he city of Atlanta has a new plan to sell the aging civic center to the city’s housing authority for a mixed-use project with much of the project set aside for affordable housing.

The plan to sell the theater and surrounding land for $31 million would mark a fresh start for a land deal that was scuttled last year. Joining Atlanta Housing Authority in the project is Weingarten Realty of Texas, the firm that had been in prolonged talks with the city to buy the complex before Mayor Kasim Reed pulled the plug last October.

Reed said Wednesday during a City Council committee meeting he would soon pitch a deal with the housing authority, but did not provide many details during his remarks.
Atlanta to sell civic center for mixed-use project
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 04:29 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,880,068 times
Excited to hear details.

Additional coverage: https://atlanta.curbed.com/2017/8/31...sing-authority

Old 08-31-2017, 04:44 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,453,059 times
I hadn't heard of this place, but turns out I've actually been there. I saw Family Feud live there, didn't even know it. Looked at the property on google maps, looks like more ugly surface parking is about to bite the dust for Atlanta.

Old 08-31-2017, 09:45 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,361,803 times
So is it for real this time, or just the standard yearly "We might sell the civic center to an interested developer"? I'd love to see this go through. And with the pine shelter closing, maybe this area can finally see the light.

Old 09-01-2017, 07:16 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,876,648 times
AHA already owns so much vacant unused land allover the city. Why not encourage them to develop those parcels first?

Old 09-01-2017, 12:09 PM

Weingarten Group is getting the property anyway
Quote:
AHA would buy the site for $31 million, and it would partner with Weingarten Realty to develop retail and offices on the site. Weingarten had been selected as the preferred developer for the site when the city put the project out for bid, but the deal never closed.
Quote:
The Civic Center property has been hard to develop because of its water and sewer issues. Previously, developers have planned for the water to be stored in a large water retention tank underneath the development.
https://saportareport.com/civic-center-sale/

Old 09-02-2017, 06:45 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,361,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Weingarten Group is getting the property anyway

"The Civic Center property has been hard to develop because of its water and sewer issues. Previously, developers have planned for the water to be stored in a large water retention tank underneath the development."

https://saportareport.com/civic-center-sale/
The Civic Center is also a tough sell because of the costly demolition involved. The asbestos remediation alone is extensive. And the structure on the exhibition hall side is pretty hefty.

Old 11-21-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Mayor Kasim Reed announced this morning at a press conference that the Atlanta Housing Authority has officially closed on its purchase of the Atlanta Civic Center in Downtown. The 19-acre property will become a $300 million mixed-use development with retail, office space and affordable housing.

Reed said 30 percent of the housing units will be designated as affordable, and the development will also include a Publix supermarket.
Quote:
The $31 million transaction will see the Atlanta Housing Authority acting as lead developer on the housing component, while Weingarten will handle retail and office space. The site is likely to have multiple high-rise buildings.
City closes deal to redevelop Civic Center property - Atlanta INtown Paper

Old 11-21-2017, 11:04 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,241,164 times
So I wonder what will go in the current Publix space @ North and Piedmont? I will say it would be nicer to have a larger publix intown

This development look meh less the 30% affordable housing and with a Texass developer I assume it won't be anything innovative. Hoping to be proven wrong

Old 11-21-2017, 12:12 PM

1,180 posts, read 985,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
So I wonder what will go in the current Publix space @ North and Piedmont? I will say it would be nicer to have a larger publix intown

This development look meh less the 30% affordable housing and with a Texass developer I assume it won't be anything innovative. Hoping to be proven wrong
Is the Publix at North ave and Piedmont moving to the civic center spot or will it be a completely new store?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta