Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2017, 10:40 AM

1 posts, read 830 times

Advertisements

Hi All

I really need some help here...I am prior military so I am used to moving, however when in the military you are forced to adapt to a specific area. In this instance I am moving from DC (originally from Philly). I am not worried about traffic because I am a current victim and I am used to my commute being 45 minutes to an hour or more.

I have completed the most important phase which is to secure a job...now that that is out of the way...my main concern is deciding on a good area to live in? Honestly the most important factor here is that I have two boys. I am ultimately looking for a similar location in Atlanta with like amenities, however safe with great schools. I don't mind a commute but location (not over populated), schools and resale value are important factors for me.

To give you an idea...I currently live in Bowie Maryland which is a suburb outisde of DC but mixed with several sides and different zip codes (the community I live in is predominantly black...basically bougie black people)...that's not a concern either. To give you an idea about the area...the median household income in Fairwood, MD (my development)was $154,271 in 2015...with a population of 5,707 and a median age of 37.8. The development is quiet and not gated but has security with a mix of single family homes, condos and townhomes with amenities such as a Gold's gym, a grocery store, gas station, PNC Bank, Wine and Spirits, ampitheater and other options right in the development. There are other close shopping options such as Target, Wegman's, Harris Teeter, Walmart and several shopping plaza type places available.

The inventory in this area (rather development) is always low and it is a highly sought after area because of the location and amenities. There are other close towns like Annapolis, Arundel Mills, and Columbia with malls, and other shopping plazas & eating options (all within a 20-40 min drive) which is within close proximity by my standards. Bowie is in a prime location because it is centrally located between DC, MD and VA. I'm 30 minutes from Baltimore, about 25-30 minutes from DC and about the same to VA. I paid $365,000 back in 2010. Basically I am looking for a similar area, with similar amenities, and great schools.

I appreciate any advice and thanks in advance!!!

Please help

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 10:48 AM

1,497 posts, read 1,518,890 times
where will your job in Atlanta be.. that will be the most important factor in deciding where to narrow your search.
I am familiar with Bowie area... and if you are looking for an area in metro with similar amenities and good schools, you may want to focus in Gwinnett County.. specifically the Duluth area. It has Sugarloaf mills.. which is like Arundel Mills.. there is also an arena, performing arts center nearby, parks etc. You will find you will get much more home for your money than in The DC area which is one of the most expensive realestate markets in the country. Duluth and especially, the Pleasant Hill corridor has an international flaor too with probably the largest Asian population in Georgia or the south east. There are numerous international grocery stores and restaurants. Gwinnett also has the number one public high school in the state. BUt there are also many other nice areas in and around Atlanta.. so it will depend on your job. Be aware that public transit is very limited in Gwinnett.. there is no MARTA service. Traffic however should be no worse that what you are accustomed to in DC area.

Old 06-27-2017, 11:53 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,661,614 times
Teh high school that AUGnative refers to is a school of choice -- so no guarantee of admittance there (in otherwords, don't base your decision just on that.)

Work location is important.

Also, no Wegmans here (very sad)

Old 06-27-2017, 12:47 PM

1,497 posts, read 1,518,890 times
Yes, the engineering tech school in Gwinnett is a magnet school, so you have to apply and admittance is based on grades.. however, NW Gwinnett has good schools overall (some of the best in the state.. very good schools in the Duluth area).. schooldigger is a good resource for scouting out schools.
Location of job is the most important factor. If you are working south of Atlanta by airport, the Peachtree City, Fayetteville, Fairburn would be good options..
You mentioned working for FDA, is that near the Emory campus, CDC?

Old 06-27-2017, 01:55 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUGnative View Post
You mentioned working for FDA, is that near the Emory campus, CDC?
Probably Midtown/downtown, or maybe at the airport.

Old 06-27-2017, 02:28 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,935,590 times
Yea work location is still gonna be important. Atlanta traffic isn't much better. If you work in Cobb County and live in NW Gwinnett you're looking at well over an hour to get home.

Old 06-27-2017, 02:49 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,786,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Yea work location is still gonna be important. Atlanta traffic isn't much better. If you work in Cobb County and live in NW Gwinnett you're looking at well over an hour to get home.
Yeah, if you are doing Sugarloaf Mills area, I would expect for your commute to be even longer than what you are used to.

Old 06-28-2017, 05:12 AM

333 posts, read 388,163 times
One of your new colleagues (in IT) is a friend who lives in Alpharetta. He too is a veteran and his daughter just finished South Forsyth High School. Schools are important, so you may want to start there.

The Atlanta Regional Commission describes ten counties that they claim makes up Metro Atlanta. Oddly, our neighbors in Barrow, Forsyth, Hall and Newton Counties are missing from the list. These counties and some cities within those counties have their own public school systems. You can visit the Georgia School Reports at the Governor's Office of Student Achievement, review the school districts, drill down to the schools and see the student performance by school.

Hope that helps.

Welcome
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta