Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2017, 12:10 PM

2 posts, read 1,748 times

Advertisements

Hi. My husband just accepted a new job in the Covington area. He'll be starting in about 3 weeks. We're trying to figure out where to live and I was just wondering if someone could point me in the right direction. We currently live in Naples, FL. We'll be making a trip up to the area next week to look at some places and I'd like to have a list of some areas to check out before we go.

1. Our budget for a home is around 300-350.
2. Ideally, he'd like to have a commute no longer than 45 minutes if possible.
3. We have two children so good schools is very important.

I've been all over this website reading older posts about different areas. It's been very helpful but some of the posts are from years ago so I just wanted to get some new opinions. It seems everyone at his new job lives in Gwinnett County somewhere so we've been looking at that area.

We've been looking online at Lawrenceville, Lilburn and Grayson. Are those good areas? Any pros/cons? We may rent a house or apartment for a few months while we look for a home to buy. But I'd like to rent in the area we'll eventually buy in so that my children don't have to switch schools.

Also, if anyone has suggestions of some specific neighborhoods to look at, that would be great too. We live in Naples and it's a very popular spot for retirees. Our neighborhood is nice but there aren't a lot of children here. I'd love a neighborhood that's full of families, children running around, neighborhood events, that sort of thing. Anyway, thanks in advance for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 02:40 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,933,278 times
Easy.
Take your pick between Brookwood HS and Grayson HS. Maybe Parkview HS or Archer HS. Very good schools (with Brookwood being the best of the 4 and one of the best in the whole metro). You can definitely find a nice home in that budget in all of those clusters. My parents just sold theirs for 299 in the Brookwood area.

All the areas are very family friendly. Families are by far the main residents here (and not single 20 somethings or retirees).
Parkview is the oldest cluster but still has plenty of newer homes. Parkview and Brookwood are the most developed whereas Grayson is a bit of a transition zone with the western part pretty developed with the central and eastern parts a little more open (but aren't in the middle of nowhere). The Archer HS cluster is still pretty exurban and you may have to drive farther for stores.

Scenic Hwy north of US 78 is the main shopping corridor for southern Gwinnett which is most convenient for Brookwood HS and Grayson HS but there's also stuff along US 78 (for all clusters) and GA 20 (for Grayson and Archer).

I'm not as familiar with the newer subdivisions in the Grayson or Archer clusters but a lot of the subdivisions in the Brookwood cluster (and I'm assuming Parkview as well) also have tennis courts and swimming pools with the larger subdivisions having actual clubs and teams, etc. Just something to consider.

Old 06-28-2017, 04:47 AM

333 posts, read 387,992 times
Jerry,

It finally let me rate you positive. Been trying for a while.

Once again, I agree with Sedimenjerry. That corridor along Scenic Highway 124 a bit Northeast of Highway 78 is also the dividing point between the Grayson and Brookwood High School Clusters. But it is also dotted with all kinds of new development like The Fresh Market, Sprouts Farmer's Market, new eateries and more on the way. No worries, though. The traditional supermarkets and mass merchandisers are also around.

That area is also convenient to both the Snellville Towne Green, the Lawrenceville Lawn, Loganville and Stone Mountain, which all have exciting, unique local family events (Snellville Farmer's Market, community garden, free concerts, free movies, etc.). Eastside Medical Center, one of the many healthcare facilities in Gwinnett County, is located nearby. So lots of supporting healthcare offices, even an active Snellville Senior Center, are all nearby. And of course, the schools are among the best in the metro area for sports, arts, STEM and other academics. So families with members of all ages are plentiful here.

Highway 124 is one of the main area roadways and it connects to Interstate 20 for a convenient commute east into Newton County (Covington). It's Metro Atlanta, so you'll want to get comfortable with the WAZE app. The right path into Covington may not always be Highway 124. The good news is that options are available to get hubs to and from there safely.

You can search by high school at many local real estate sites. So please think about Brookwood, Grayson, Parkview (adjacent to Brookwood) and maybe even Archer (near Grayson) High Schools.

Welcome!

Last edited by AtlantaMove; 06-28-2017 at 04:57 AM..

Old 06-28-2017, 06:04 AM

487 posts, read 1,815,998 times
I'll reiterate what the above posters have stated. Look for neighborhoods zone'd to Brookwood High, Parkview High, Archer. These school zones are very good with Brookwood being the better. It's best to look at school zones instead of cities because parts of Lilburn, Snellville and Lawrenceville feed into Brookwood High. You'll find plenty of inventory in your price range and most of the neighborhoods have young families. Your husband also won't have any issues getting to Covington since it's a reverse commute, everyone else is going towards Atlanta.

Here's the Brookwood school zone: https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...1882_sc/0_mmm/

Old 08-17-2017, 08:21 AM

1 posts, read 800 times
Thanks for all that great info. I am familiar with the Atlanta area and I'm considering a move to the school districts mentioned above. How are they in terms of diversity? I'm African American with a young son. I would like him to have a diverse group of friends but I don't want him to be one of 3 black children in his class. Any advice?

Old 08-17-2017, 08:58 AM

761 posts, read 907,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melemims17 View Post
Thanks for all that great info. I am familiar with the Atlanta area and I'm considering a move to the school districts mentioned above. How are they in terms of diversity? I'm African American with a young son. I would like him to have a diverse group of friends but I don't want him to be one of 3 black children in his class. Any advice?
Gwinnett schools were 90%+ white in 1990, but is now one of the most diverse school system in the country. No single race is a majority, and in fact, I think hispanics are now the largest plurality in the system. Gwinnett schools are very good, and Gwinnett does a great job serving all of it's students very well.

For instance here are the demographics of some the schools mentioned from 2015:

Brookwood:
42%-white
25%-black
15%-Asian
29%-free and reduced lunch

Parkview:
30%-White
26%-Black
20%-Asian
41%-free and reduced lunch

Archer:
46%-White
37%-black
11%-hispanic
36%-free and reduced lunch

Grayson:
41%-Black
38%-White
11%-Hispanic
38%-free and reduced Lunch

https://www.schooldigger.com/go/GA/d...50/search.aspx

Old 08-17-2017, 09:29 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,365,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melemims17 View Post
I oftentimes was the only black person in class. If there was another black person, I was like whoa! By the time I left, the school might have been almlst 50/50. There was a noticeable increase of Latino students but mostly black and white and a few Asians. These schools will probably just get even more diverse.You have nothing to fear.

Old 08-17-2017, 11:00 AM

11,791 posts, read 8,002,955 times
I haven't read this entire thread, however; have you considered Oconee? I am of the belief that it would perfectly fit your budget and there would be a heck of alot less traffic with the only disadvantage being you will be alot further from Atlanta itself than you would be in Lawrenceville.

Lawrenceville, Grayson, Snellville (as long as you stay north of Centerville Rosebud Rd) are all nice cities but the traffic in all three is becoming a big problem with no foreseeable resolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaMove View Post
Jerry,

It finally let me rate you positive. Been trying for a while.

Highway 124 is one of the main area roadways and it connects to Interstate 20 for a convenient commute east into Newton County (Covington). It's Metro Atlanta, so you'll want to get comfortable with the WAZE app. The right path into Covington may not always be Highway 124. The good news is that options are available to get hubs to and from there safely.

Welcome!
While 124 will work, 124 actually goes AWAY from Covington after clearing Snellville. It goes Southwest (where as Covington is Southeast of Gwinnett). Also, the portion of 124 between Sugarloaf Pkwy and U.S. 78 is ALWAYS severely congested at almost any hour there is day light (no exaggeration) I purposefully avoid this section as it can easily add 30 - 45 minutes to your commute.

The BEST way to get to Covington from Gwinnett is to use SR-20 into Loganville and continue onto SR 81 south which takes you dead into Covington where as SR124 dumps you onto I-20 about 15 miles west of Covington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta