Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 12:21 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,891,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdtransplant View Post
RRD thanks for the feedback. Can you recommend a good tutor or tell me where to look? My son scores really high on aptitude tests but he's very lazy in the classroom. As a result of the test scores, teacher/counselors always steer him toward honors courses. I'm afraid he may shut down if he finds that he's behind and not understanding the curriculum. Having a reliable tuturing option may put us ahead of the curve.
Sorry, Md, I was a high-scoring student myself in youth, and my daughter's tutoring needs have not so far exceeded what I remember from high school and college math. I've never considered hiring a tutor of any kind, so I just don't know. Hoping someone else can advise you.

The title of this thread is not on-topic for you, plus most of it's really old. Maybe you should start a fresh thread specifically seeking suggestions on finding a good math tutor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 01:05 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,661,614 times
I think your son should be fine. Having had Algebra I, Geometry and half of Algebra II should put him right on target. I wouldn't hire a tutor yet -- wait until you see if he needs it and then ask the teacher for recommendations.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:04 AM

109 posts, read 392,467 times
Default Accelerated math

Not everywhere is using the same textbooks in Georgia. When we lived in another county in GA we used connected math and it was garbage. It reminded me of everyday math when we lived in another state. We are now in Advanced 8 math and so far its pure Algebra that my child is learning with a real textbook. My recommendation to you is if your child is struggling, and if the school district or school is using a crappy textbook, buy your own. There are many used textbooks to be had as school systems toss them all the time.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:58 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,374,648 times
I hate to revive an old thread, but just got a rep point today about the thread, and thought an update on my son might be helpful to someone. He ended up taking the Accelerated track entirely for freshman, sophmore, and junior years. He DOES have a paid tutor to help him, and he also ironically enough tutors lower level Freshman and Sophmore math at school.
He's also in the math club - because of a desire for extra points only.

Next year, his senior year, he will take AP Stats. I think it will go well. Mostly because the AP class is standardized throughout the nation and there is an overwhelming abundance of info for self help, good instructional books.

I also heard that this last cohort my son is in, is the last to have this "new" style of math teaching in Georgia. Go figure!! It started with him and will end with him.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:05 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,047,308 times
USA is getting its butt kicked with math. I was in a gifted & talented magnet high school, and to even get started in college-level math, we had to review 3 semesters' worth of Calculus, condensed into two semesters' time. That gives you an idea of how far behind we are in math compared to other countries.
You cannot go wrong by learning math.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:21 AM

2,613 posts, read 4,146,666 times
What are you referring to as college-level math. In the GTech engineering program Cal I, II and III are first. I suspect Cal at Tech is a bit different than Cal at high school bc we were alllllll sweating and hwx just in math, took hours. And you had mostly the brightest minds from the US, Asia, India, etc. We were all sweating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApePeeD View Post
USA is getting its butt kicked with math. I was in a gifted & talented magnet high school, and to even get started in college-level math, we had to review 3 semesters' worth of Calculus, condensed into two semesters' time. That gives you an idea of how far behind we are in math compared to other countries.
You cannot go wrong by learning math.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta