Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2017, 11:08 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,365,674 times

Advertisements

The late great Rich's of Atlanta was SO "Christmasy": It was literally festooned with swags, lights, and trees.

The Past decade or so, it seems the stores are NOT decorating enough:

Macy's, who occupied most of the old Rich's sights around Metro Atlanta is "okay" decorated, but not spectacular. Same with Dillard's.

Belk has--gasp--- card board decorations--some Sycamore Partners (new owners since the Belk family sold out) costing cutting scheme?

Bloomingdale's- baa humbug! Like one green ribbon tied around a column!

Penny's and Sears, a few trees scattered about with NO lights.

Then there is Von Maur: This Midwestern chain puts ALL other department stores that do business in Atlanta to shame! Gorgeous, "Christmasy", yet elegantly done and not tacky. We are talking DOZENS of twinkling trees, garlands, and attractive seasonal displays. Congratulations Von Maur, you made me feel full of Christmas Spirit BEFORE Thanksgiving! That would be the reason why Von Maur is the ONLY store I bought something from during my recent visit to Mall of Georgia on my way to Magical Nights of Lights at Lake Lanier. (Granted it was a great deal off their clearance rack, but the other stores got NONE of my money)

Wise up Atlanta retailers; give us a beautifully decorated store! Great way to shore up the customer experience, too. (By the way, Von Maur associates seem nice and helpful, also, even for clearance rack shoppers like me!)

Again, kudos Von Maur!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2017, 11:09 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,559,248 times
Hands down Von Maur

Old 11-23-2017, 06:30 AM

403 posts, read 620,815 times
Many of the department stores are on the verge of bankruptcy or in serious financial straights. I think they are devoting resources to trying to match price with Amazon...and massive debt service.

Old 11-23-2017, 10:10 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,074,029 times
The Christmas section of Rich's was a sight to behold. I talked to the sales person one year who told me they had someone on staff whose entire job, all year long, was planning those awesome Christmas trees.

Old 11-23-2017, 07:36 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,559,248 times
I think in some ways Christmas spreads will increase at department stores. If they’re unable to meet the prices of online prices of online shopping, then a better experience might be needed. I can’t imagine Macy's Herald Square store closing unless the entire company goes under. Of course nothing in Atlanta is comparable, but they will have to step it up a little. Small businesses provide a high level of customer service and in store experience but high prices. Online and discount retailers provide low prices but low customer service and little to no experience. A department store provides something in between that can’t match people's expectations.

I don’t know maybe Nieman Marcus or Sax has beautiful Christmas decorations, but they’re so expensive not many people will ever set foot in one. I think Von Maur is by far the best of medium range stores.

Old 11-24-2017, 04:01 PM

719 posts, read 1,334,266 times
I've gotta give Von Maur another walk-thru. I passed through the Perimeter store when it first opened and was shocked at their Mens Dept (Most stores cater to women as primary consumer). Now I'm hearing about this! I've heard nothing but good things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta