Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 02:33 PM

72 posts, read 218,699 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I've been lurking on the Atlanta site for some time doing some research. I've been looking to move me and the family down to Atlanta and have recently asked permission to move of my boss.

I've got some colleagues from Atlanta, some family used to live there and we plan to visit. I've had mixed responses mainly from colleagues that don't live there, either love or hate of the place and some was pretty vitriolic. The love comments are from some that are from that area or relocated themselves and speak highly of the place and recommend the same places the forums tend to.

All said and done the information I'm getting about Atlanta is as follows:
Mixing pot, lots of imports. City is pretty diverse (in a good way). Has some decent communities. Places recommended by forum members appear to check out as solid leads.

Downsides - traffic! Busy airport...

First off would anyone dispute any of that info? Also I think checking things out first hand is the best way to ascertain the facts so we'll be visiting. As to the slightly non-pc question. How would foreigners get treated in Atlanta, to address the vitriol from a colleague. My family and I are from the UK, we've got accents from the UK but have been living here legally for 20 years. Would we find Atlanta inhospitable due to being from the UK??

Thanks,
Maz--
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 02:42 PM

221 posts, read 190,190 times
Foreigners get treated no differently than in any other large city. There will definitely not be a target on your back being from UK.

Busy airport is actually not too bad of a downside. Hartsfield-Jackson airport is actually really efficient and despite there being a ton of people, security generally moves rather quickly. In my experience, the line at Popeye's inside the terminal typically takes longer than security.

Old 03-20-2018, 02:48 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,250,965 times
Where are you living currently? What other cities look appealing to you? What's most important to you in a city?

Last edited by jhtrico1850; 03-20-2018 at 02:56 PM..

Old 03-20-2018, 02:51 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,778,524 times
It'a a non-issue.

Generally speaking people here have a good perception of the UK.

I live in a county that is 25% foriegn born and it is just shy of 1 million people.

The busy airport ends up being a good thing. People don't like crowds, but the flight options are extremely good. You can get to more cities... at more times of the day.

The downsides that lead to vitriol against Atlanta usually comes down to one of 3 things:

1) Atlanta is exceedingly 80s-00s Suburban. We have our urban pockets, but you have to accept the region is mostly suburban to enjoy it all

2) Their personal racial biases, which they may or may not realize, accept for themselves, or understand. Atlanta is the home of the Civil Rights movement, is in the deep south, and has many black throughout the region.... They aren't just in a small pocket on the bad side of town and they aren't all poor. If someone can't leave their own person bias' behind, they will likely have a poor perception of Atlanta.

It isn't like the smaller affluent mostly white collar pop-up metros (Denver, Austin, Seattle, Portland, etc...) that can insulate people from their internal bias'.

3) Income disparity and all that comes with it. Atlanta is a huge warehouse trading hub given our location. We are the northern most point freight and goods can interchange between the South, going Northeast, and the Midwest without crossing the Appalachian Mountains. It has led to our growth, but it also keeps many low-end jobs present. On the other hand we are the white-collar mega city of the South. We are a small tech hub and the largest Finance city in the South. This brings many affluent areas and many less affluent areas.

The city itself is more separated by income and race than the region as a whole. For some people who visit for an event they can be left with some perception issues they don't fully understand of the whole region.

Where are you living now?

Old 03-20-2018, 02:57 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,425,421 times
I'm not a fan of Atlanta (lived there for 4 years, and 90 minutes south of there for another 7), but it's more to do with not liking urban environments than anything else.

Traffic was absolute hel 18 years ago, the few times I travel through now it's worse.

The airport is fine, even the "worst" experience there, security on a Monday morning, was only 30 minutes wait.

There are still bad neighborhoods with lots of crime (break-ins, theft, vandalism), so due-diligence is needed... but it's not That big of a deal.

Maybe it's "diverse" (I'm still confused as to what that actually means), seemed like pretty much every other city I've been to. I don't find that my life away from Atlanta (or any urban area) lacks for anything though, so I'm not sure that whatever the word is supposed to mean is a key component to a happy life.

Americans, generally, like unique people. You'll probably find yourself sick of saying you're a Brit in short order, but expect people to approach you.

Old 03-20-2018, 03:27 PM

108 posts, read 81,392 times
My former manager actually was from Scotland so I think you'll be fine. Even when it was decided that he wasn't the best fit for the role, he was still kept as a part of the team instead of being fired since he did come all of the way overseas, and did add value to the team. You'll be okay.

Old 03-20-2018, 03:31 PM

221 posts, read 190,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Maybe it's "diverse" (I'm still confused as to what that actually means), seemed like pretty much every other city I've been to. I don't find that my life away from Atlanta (or any urban area) lacks for anything though, so I'm not sure that whatever the word is supposed to mean is a key component to a happy life.
"Diverse" can mean different things, both negatively and positively, depending on the type of person using it and their intent.

Minorities will seek out diversity because it's actually rather important for their quality of life, in many ways. If it's not diverse and you are the only one of (insert race/ethnicity here), then people will often treat you in ways that's less than ideal.

Old 03-20-2018, 03:47 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,631,970 times
Metro Atlanta is very diverse and welcoming. It will not be a problem for you at all.

Old 03-20-2018, 04:27 PM
bu2

24,107 posts, read 14,899,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzer View Post
Hello everyone,

I've been lurking on the Atlanta site for some time doing some research. I've been looking to move me and the family down to Atlanta and have recently asked permission to move of my boss.

I've got some colleagues from Atlanta, some family used to live there and we plan to visit. I've had mixed responses mainly from colleagues that don't live there, either love or hate of the place and some was pretty vitriolic. The love comments are from some that are from that area or relocated themselves and speak highly of the place and recommend the same places the forums tend to.

All said and done the information I'm getting about Atlanta is as follows:
Mixing pot, lots of imports. City is pretty diverse (in a good way). Has some decent communities. Places recommended by forum members appear to check out as solid leads.

Downsides - traffic! Busy airport...

First off would anyone dispute any of that info? Also I think checking things out first hand is the best way to ascertain the facts so we'll be visiting. As to the slightly non-pc question. How would foreigners get treated in Atlanta, to address the vitriol from a colleague. My family and I are from the UK, we've got accents from the UK but have been living here legally for 20 years. Would we find Atlanta inhospitable due to being from the UK??

Thanks,
Maz--
Busy airport is a good thing.

Lots of UK people here. Not an issue. There are a number of international companies/employers, starting with Coca-Cola.

Old 03-20-2018, 04:29 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,394,956 times
I have several friends from the UK who live in Atlanta. They have all been treated just like anyone else. They tend to really like it here. And the busy airport? As another poster noted - that's a very big advantage for Atlantans. It is an extremely well run airport.

The British expats who are members of this site may be able to let you know a bit more about their experience here: https://www.internations.org/atlanta-expats/british

And here are some British things going on in Atlanta: 10 British Things About Atlanta | Anglophenia | BBC America

Best of luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta