Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 04:08 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
I think it could be much better utilized. There are some wonderful architectural elements on some of the old storefronts, and that is what they should capitalize on. Some of the buildings and storefronts along Oxford and North Decatur are pretty dowdy and need to be updated and brought more in line with the original look of the village when it was created in the late 1920's. it never really recovered from the 1972 fire that took out the Emory Cinema and several other storefronts; they were replaced by that eyesore of a parking lot next to the old Everybody's. There's just too much parking area fronting the streets, and it needs to be relegated to the areas behind the storefronts with only a couple of cuts for ingress and egress. I don't think the greenspace created on the roundabout is really necessary, either.
Back in the time I was growing up there it was much more of a functioning village for the neighborhood than it is now, and had a much more well-rounded retail mix. It even had a Kroger where the CVS is now.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Em...!4d-84.3260189
Some of the void has been filled by Emory University. They have a number of casual lunch restaurants on their quad. There just really isn't enough there in Emory Village. And rents are a problem there. The businesses leaving and/or closing always complain about it.

There aren't many restaurants left-Saba, Double Zero, Lucky's, Jimmy John's, Chipotle, Romeo's, Dave's Cosmic subs and a couple of other places on Oxford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 05:24 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Back in the time I was growing up there it was much more of a functioning village for the neighborhood than it is now, and had a much more well-rounded retail mix. It even had a Kroger where the CVS is now.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Em...!4d-84.3260189
Bummer! When did the Emory Kroger close?

Old 03-28-2018, 08:24 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Bummer! When did the Emory Kroger close?

Emory neighbors, faculty and students rally to protest closing of Emory Village Kroger

Old 03-28-2018, 08:44 PM

Durn. Well, I guess it's been 30 years since we lived on that side of town. That was a handy little grocery store back in the day.

Old 03-30-2018, 02:55 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,783,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
The Cuban place is closed now. I'm surprised F2O is still open. Its always pretty empty at night. The fish, Italian and Cuban place were all quite good.

Keiba's and Slice and Pint both recently closed in Emory Village.

The non-student customers are a drastically different crowd than the Village. They draw some from Druid Hills, but most seem to be employees or from elsewhere.

What succeeds in both places seem to cater more to students, sandwich places and burger/bar places like Marlow's Tavern. Other than the people in Emory Point, nobody lives near there. Druid Hills is separated by CDC and the Emory campus. And there's a good stretch of commercial and convoluted intersections before you get to much in the opposite direction. They have to get people to go there as a destination. And people have to know its there, which with that type of development, much is not visible from the street.

Emory Point would have worked much better at Emory Village, but the Historic Association fought any significant changes.
The Cuban place —Papi’s is still open—so if you are in the mood for Cuban/Caribbean don’t forget it’s still there. BTW had lunch at the Mediterranean place-Aladdin’s —place was packed—food was very good, but not really cheap for fast-casual.

Old 04-01-2018, 09:37 AM

4,213 posts, read 4,737,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
Earth Fare Grocery at Emory Point is closing this week—not sure if anything is lined up to replace it. Guessing the business space at Emory Point is less than 2/3 full. Jos A Bank men’s store closed a while back, along with the fish place, the burger place, the mismanaged yogurt place, and at lest 2 pizza/Italian restaurants. I think that at least half of those spots are still empty (a Cuban place did replace the fish place)—and those are just the closings that I have paid attention to. The General Muir is the only restaurant there that might warrant a special trip. I think that the apartments are still renting well, and the mixed use complex still seems safe/nice/well-maintained. Still, if the place is only 2/3 full with a healthy economy, what happens when things slow down?
While at Emory village, Everybody’s Pizza’s replacement is now closed. Still, the Village seems to be doing better than the Point.

Didn't even know Everybody's Pizza had closed...when did that happen?

Old 04-01-2018, 10:02 AM

2,020 posts, read 1,310,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Didn't even know Everybody's Pizza had closed...when did that happen?

Everybody's Pizza closed in 2013. As I understand the story, the owners wanted to retire but could not find anyone to sell it to.

Old 04-01-2018, 10:27 AM

The restaurants at Emory Point seem to do a lot of daytime business. Every time I'm over there for lunch I run into people I know from other parts of town.

Old 04-01-2018, 11:39 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,355,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
The village is organic, while point is forced.
Quote:
Yes, this. Add to that the problem of lousy exposure and connectivity to the street...a problem it shares with another foundering development, Buckhead Atlanta. I believe you and I discussed this problem on another thread, cq.
Y'all are going to tear me apart for saying it, but here it goes:

The Village has tons of door-front parking and is right across the street from the Emory campus. The Point has a couple dozen spots (sandwiched between two large residential buildings) which are likely always full from the residential side, a parking deck behind the residences, and a lot across the street. If you're dropping in for a quick bite, which it seems several of the places at the Point cater to, that is going to be a turn off. It's also about 3/4 mile walk from the closest corner of Emory's campus. While dedicated people may walk that far for a quick bite, most won't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Emory Point is separated from CDC and Emory's campus by a 4 lane arterial street. Pedestrians may not feel comfortable crossing.
So, pedestrians may not feel comfortable crossing a 4-lane road at signalized intersections, but a non-signalized 5-way roundabout and other non-signalized busy roads are all fine? Yeah, not buying that.

This is about location and parking ability, I'm sure.

Old 04-01-2018, 10:26 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,783,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Y'all are going to tear me apart for saying it, but here it goes:

The Village has tons of door-front parking and is right across the street from the Emory campus. The Point has a couple dozen spots (sandwiched between two large residential buildings) which are likely always full from the residential side, a parking deck behind the residences, and a lot across the street. If you're dropping in for a quick bite, which it seems several of the places at the Point cater to, that is going to be a turn off. It's also about 3/4 mile walk from the closest corner of Emory's campus. While dedicated people may walk that far for a quick bite, most won't.

So, pedestrians may not feel comfortable crossing a 4-lane road at signalized intersections, but a non-signalized 5-way roundabout and other non-signalized busy roads are all fine? Yeah, not buying that.

This is about location and parking ability, I'm sure.
Never had a problem parking at Emory Point (it might be a problem if the place were ever 100% leased, but it has probably never hit 75%). I just think it is probably a little too much, currently, at least a building too much—to get much more than that a restaurant or business has to be something special, or very well run, or small with very low overhead, or just a very good fit for the area.

Crossing the street is not stopping the CDC folks who want to spend Emory Point sort of money for lunch—it is easier for me to get to the Point, than it is to get to my car on campus. But, it is too expensive for most folks to eat there too often, and then there are some folks that just would rather eat at their desks anyway—I think that folks are just overestimating how many potential lunch customers are at the CDC.

Parking at the village, can be a little more difficult—overall there is a good bit of parking—but it is divided up among specific stores —so there is not enough at Panera bread or any of the stores south of N. Decatur (except for Everybody’s)—that’s why they have to do valet parking there sometimes). And, if you park at Chipotle and later walk accross the street for an ice cream, they say that is tow-worthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta