Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 08:12 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,695,326 times

Advertisements

Curbed Article

Quote:
In the first real step toward bringing a new rail line to Clayton County, MARTA has announced three studies of potential corridors to allow for service as far south as Jonesboro. The Atlanta Business Chronicle reports that MARTA will work with Norfolk Southern in an effort to determine the possibility of acquiring right-of-way along the existing rail lines to minimize the cost of building a system from scratch. The cooperation marks an improvement in relations between the two organizations; previously MARTA had proposed sharing trackage with the railroad — an idea that proved a non-starter for years. While talks with Norfolk Southern are ongoing, two other studies will examine potential costs for the project and update MARTA's commuter rail concept plan.

Quote:
While various forms of transit — buses, light rail, heavy rail, diesel trains and BRT — are up for consideration, MARTA hopes that a solution can be found to bring heavy rail to Clayton via an agreement with Norfolk Southern. Trains would originate from East Point station and could service Hapeville, Mountain View / Airport — International Terminal, Forest Park / Fort Gillem, Clayton State University, Morrow / Southlake Mall and Jonesboro / Justice Center. However, right-of-way restrictions could limit MARTA to a single track line, meaning north and southbound trains would share a track, with designated pull-offs for passing. (A disaster waiting to happen?)

Until the studies are completed, however, the plans are still up in the air. All three studies will take a year to complete, with a combined cost of around $700,000 to be covered by the new tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 08:42 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,937,091 times
I haven't heard much, or at least haven't been paying much attention. Is it likely that Henry County will eventually join in on marta?

Old 07-28-2015, 08:46 PM

7,359 posts, read 6,529,813 times
Just to clarify before a lot of bad information gets thrown around (I fear I'll have to do this again in 3 pages) this WILL NOT be heavy rail in the sense of what MARTA runs now! This is commuter rail, like METRA, SEPTA, Tri-Rail, Trinity Railway Express, Los Angeles Metrolink, etc. that runs on existing freight tracks.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
I haven't heard much, or at least haven't been paying much attention. Is it likely that Henry County will eventually join in on marta?
As far as I know, there has been nothing about Henry even considering it. To be fair to them, however, MARTA was only really established to be part of the core 5 Counties. That leaves Gwinnett needing to approve a one cent tax to finish joining, and Cobb needing to both vote to join and approve the one cent tax.

I'm not sure how the outer-lying counties joining would work. If MARTA actually opens the door for Commuter Rail operations in Clayton (instead of HRT), we may see that as an advertised service spreading out into the 13-County Metro.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Just to clarify before a lot of bad information gets thrown around (I fear I'll have to do this again in 3 pages) this WILL NOT be heavy rail in the sense of what MARTA runs now! This is commuter rail, like METRA, SEPTA, Tri-Rail, Trinity Railway Express, Los Angeles Metrolink, etc. that runs on existing freight tracks.
That's what i'm really confused about. The Curbed article explicitly separates Heavy Rail, and Diesel-Hauled trains, saying HRT is the preferred alternative.

In my mind, the Diesel-Hauled trains are what you mean by METRA/SEPTA/ETC.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
That's what i'm really confused about. The Curbed article explicitly separates Heavy Rail, and Diesel-Hauled trains, saying HRT is the preferred alternative.

In my mind, the Diesel-Hauled trains are what you mean by METRA/SEPTA/ETC.
The article is wrong. Also SEPTA is one of the few completely non-diesel commuter rail services in the nation operating only on electrified trackage but still shared with standard freight service in some places.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
The article is wrong. Also SEPTA is one of the few completely non-diesel commuter rail services in the nation operating only on electrified trackage but still shared with standard freight service in some places.
My mistake. Maybe EMUs or DMUs will be used then?

Old 07-28-2015, 09:52 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,937,091 times
Quote:
As far as I know, there has been nothing about Henry even considering it. To be fair to them, however, MARTA was only really established to be part of the core 5 Counties. That leaves Gwinnett needing to approve a one cent tax to finish joining, and Cobb needing to both vote to join and approve the one cent tax.

I'm not sure how the outer-lying counties joining would work. If MARTA actually opens the door for Commuter Rail operations in Clayton (instead of HRT), we may see that as an advertised service spreading out into the 13-County Metro.
I forgot about the whole 5 county thing. Was just wondering if plans for rail in Clayton would be be done to make an extension to Henry as easy as possible but from other posts it sounds like any rail would likely not be brand new routes anyway

Old 07-29-2015, 05:02 AM

Quote:
My mistake. Maybe EMUs or DMUs will be used then?
EMUs won't happen unfortunately. We'd need a massive projects on the scale of Denver to do that. It is possible now that DMUs could be used since there are FRA-compliant models becoming available like the Stadler FLIRT https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotton..._rolling_stock https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stadler_FLIRT

Old 07-29-2015, 06:29 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
It would take an amendment to the MARTA act because Henry is not part of the original MARTA counties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta