Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 11:58 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times

Advertisements

Do the various ethnic groups in Atlanta have any common voting patterns?

If so, is there any fairly recent data on whether they tend to vote Democratic or Republican? Does it matter where they are located?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 06:16 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,473,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Do the various ethnic groups in Atlanta have any common voting patterns?

If so, is there any fairly recent data on whether they tend to vote Democratic or Republican? Does it matter where they are located?

Yes...but this is for 2012 results. You can sort columns by ethnicity as well as median income and education level (college).

https://www.npr.org/2016/11/08/50107...ection-results

Now, after the 2016 General Election I did see a map posted that provided results based on ethnicity -- but I can't find it. I remember being surprised by the number of blacks who voted for Trump. It was higher than I expected.

Old 07-17-2018, 07:29 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Thanks, Wasel! Interesting that Trump did so well among Hispanics, too.

What I was actually wondering about was Asian and South Asian voters. Do we know whether they tend to vote in one direction or another? My interest was piqued the other day when I had lunch with a couple of Indian gentlemen who were staunch Trump supporters.

Old 07-17-2018, 09:33 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,473,679 times
Quote:

What I was actually wondering about was Asian and South Asian voters. Do we know whether they tend to vote in one direction or another? My interest was piqued the other day when I had lunch with a couple of Indian gentlemen who were staunch Trump supporters.

I went to pick up someone at the airport and this HUGE pickup truck with a big TRUMP sticker on the back was parking near me. Driver got out and he was very Indian or Pakistani in appearance. Didn't fit the huge-pickup-Trump-sticker stereotype at all.

Old 07-17-2018, 09:43 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,065,647 times
In South Forsyth. Many multi-generation Indian families, ~12% of total pop. Have gym buddies, as well as neighbors, among them. Korean, Chinese, too. Conservative mainly, though my sense is the political breakdown is within 10 points or so between Dem and Repub. Nothing scientific mind you.

Quote:

Old 07-17-2018, 10:03 AM

815 posts, read 709,187 times
I read an article a few years back about first generation immigrants' voting habits. First generation immigrants tend to be very conservative, but their children, with each generation, tend to get more liberal. To me that makes sense because these are people who have had to overcome enormous obstacle and have worked hard for success. This fits in neatly with the Republican "pull yourself up by your bootstrap" theme. Their children, however, have usually not had to work as hard as their parents, but have to grow up enduring prejudice. They are also more able to see things in shades of gray.

African-Americans, the article stated, tend to become more conservative the wealthier they become. However, I think there are similarities between first-generation immigrants and descendants of American slaves. The African-Americans who have "made it", like first generation immigrants, have usually had to overcome many obstacles to obtain success and may be less willing to identify with other peers who have floundered.

So I can see why some people of color vote for him, as disheartening as it may be. I think the reasons are not that much different from why non-racist whites might vote for him and Republicans in general.

Old 07-17-2018, 10:53 AM

221 posts, read 190,010 times
First generation Asian immigrants are typically conservative, although this past election was more split because of how awful of a candidate Trump was. Nevertheless, there are many in the first generation Asian community that will look past all of that because they generally do not empathize with progressive social policies. They are more likely support hardline illegal immigration policies because they came here legally and don't believe that illegal immigrants should get any slack. Astoundingly, some (East) Asians even gone so far as to support the "Muslim ban." Generally, Asian communities are pretty insular and like sticking among themselves, so they are unaffected by issues that progressives are trying to tackle (such as anti-black racism). They will typically vote for their own group's best interest and not really care about others. If Trump puts a lot of effort in shutting down affirmative action policies at universities, then expect the Asian community to vote for him in droves come reelection, if he's on the ballot.

Old 07-17-2018, 11:51 AM

1,145 posts, read 4,213,408 times
First generation Indians in their 20s-40s are heavily Democratic. I know a lot of immigrant Indians in their 50s/60s/70s that are big Trump fans though. At least with the ones I know, it's because they are business owners (typically hotels) and prefer Republican fiscal policies.

Old 07-17-2018, 12:15 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,105,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoxdiamond View Post
First generation Asian immigrants are typically conservative, although this past election was more split because of how awful of a candidate Trump was. Nevertheless, there are many in the first generation Asian community that will look past all of that because they generally do not empathize with progressive social policies. They are more likely support hardline illegal immigration policies because they came here legally and don't believe that illegal immigrants should get any slack. Astoundingly, some (East) Asians even gone so far as to support the "Muslim ban." Generally, Asian communities are pretty insular and like sticking among themselves, so they are unaffected by issues that progressives are trying to tackle (such as anti-black racism). They will typically vote for their own group's best interest and not really care about others. If Trump puts a lot of effort in shutting down affirmative action policies at universities, then expect the Asian community to vote for him in droves come reelection, if he's on the ballot.
This so not true

I don't know state bases but

Trump Lost More Of The Asian-American Vote Than National Exit Polls showed

79 percent of Asian voted for Hilary only 18% voted for Trump

Did Latino voters actually turn out for Trump in the election? Not really

He lost 2/3 of the Hispanic vote which typical

And lost Blacks, Clinton 88% to Trump's 8%

For what ever reason there this thing.... where the bar is so low for minority supporting Republicans Pudits would spin losing 2/3 of minority groups as some type of victory in minority support. And if there was like 5% increase in minorities support for a Republican there would some type sensationalism by right make seem a great shift has happen or is happening. In which they would take that in some belief minorities approve of their discriminatory policy,

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
Yes...but this is for 2012 results. You can sort columns by ethnicity as well as median income and education level (college).

https://www.npr.org/2016/11/08/50107...ection-results

Now, after the 2016 General Election I did see a map posted that provided results based on ethnicity -- but I can't find it. I remember being surprised by the number of blacks who voted for Trump. It was higher than I expected.
This is misleading, it seem that Trump gain more minority support in Rural counties or less diverse counties, Example Trump 60% of blacks in Taylor county but Taylor county is rual and only have 8,000 people, While Hilary won 80.8% of Dekalb which is 753,253.

And those being small rural counties, there more religious I wouldn't be surprise if Trump weird church stunt and visit, cause a high support in those rural communities. But it's not reflective of black voting pattern. To answer Arjay yes the location matter.

Old 07-17-2018, 12:37 PM
VJP

721 posts, read 1,728,957 times
Trump found big support in older Indians because he is perceived as anti-Muslim. Quite a few Indians in India have a little bit of a problem with Muslims if you are aware. The fiscal policies indeed came secondary as almost all Indians have fared extremely well in this country since immigrating (Indians as a subgroup make up the wealthiest demographic in the US). You will find Indians tend to vote more liberally in the younger demographic of 20-45 years old. You'll find more liberal Indians in the west vs the east coasts.

Source: 1st generation offspring of Indian immigrants with a rather large sample size due to extended family in the US
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta