Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 04:49 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,513,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
I was going to reply to all these posts later but this one made me laugh. Haha it's funny and disturbing at the same time. I honestly thought what was happening in Atlanta mirrored what was going all over the country, but the article said that Atlanta has double the average. I would like to see the percentages for other major cities in the South to see how unique to Atlanta this is. Is the much higher percentage regional or is Atlanta just special?
Florida has a bunch of staffing agencies too. It’s mind boggling. Even the small town have them. They’re almost as common as mosquitoes. Some of them are legit and offer benefits to their temps, similar to what they’d have at big companies. I’m talking GOOD benefits (paid vacation, comprehensive insurance, etc). I don’t look down at temp agencies, but companies in genral like the South for a reason— and it’s not always good reasons either IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2019, 05:22 PM

11,811 posts, read 8,018,631 times
Quote:
I was going to reply to all these posts later but this one made me laugh. Haha it's funny and disturbing at the same time. I honestly thought what was happening in Atlanta mirrored what was going all over the country, but the article said that Atlanta has double the average. I would like to see the percentages for other major cities in the South to see how unique to Atlanta this is. Is the much higher percentage regional or is Atlanta just special?
It's not just in Atlanta. I dont know about the northern cities but temp agencies have a stronghold over the south in general.

In Atlanta specifically, it isn't just Logistics either. IT and other professional fields are also impacted. It's almost impossible to get on with Hewlett Packard or Cisco without going through Insight Global or Robert Half, and they pay CONSIDERABLY less for the same roles. Usually they do offer benefits but typically the benefits are more expensive or basically just something enough to say they provide them.

There is also OnePath and they usually source through Stone Resource Group. IBM sometimes sources projects through CGS (computer generated solutions) paying employees under $20 hourly which is sickening.

Employment agencies also gave a strong presence in Tampa FL, Houston / DFW TX. Austin has them for select projects, other projects it's still possible to onboard directly but that's also slowly changing.

The other issue with agencies isnt so much the pay but how long the project last. Sure they'll give you 90k a year but if it only lasts 6 months, what good is that?

This is mainly an issue with weak employment laws yet the system wants everyone to get a $80k degree they know they cant pay for.

Old 05-04-2019, 07:59 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,367,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Probably. I know my dad was worried about that for quite some time at his job. Even as an engineer. He probably could have even kept his "job" but he would have become an outside contractor. Fortunately that never happened. He would have lost all of his benefits (which at his company are great).

Yes, I do believe the whole temp jobs and independent contracting (companies that went from having employees to only independent contractors) is just a way for many businesses to increase their bottom line at the expense of the masses. For college students or for people who don't like to stay at one place for too long, it's a good thing (temp jobs). I do notice that some businesses are having people sign on as independent contractors when they should really be employees. I'm curious as to how widespread this is.

Old 05-04-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
It's not just the elimination of benefits.

The real cost savings is from not having to pay UI benefits, a severance package and having a flexible work force that you can get rid of with just a simple phone call.

I didn't know this and so thanks for telling me. Who'd have thought that UI benefits was the biggest factor?!? I have to sometimes laugh at how Millennials are often made fun of for how quickly they quit places. Companies these days are so disloyal, yet expect us to grovel at their feet.

Old 05-04-2019, 08:22 PM

1) Not from what I'm hearing (I'd have to do research though). I have heard stories of where people get hired on as temps and stay at companies for years. They don't get made full time and I hear the permanent staff don't treat them well; Yup! That's how things usually start. They screw the poor over and the middle-class ignore it and then it happens to them.

2) Yes, it seems to have increased a lot especially after the recession.

3) Isawooty, I can relate. I've worked at a few companies that expected their workers to work for free and I'm not exaggerating. The state sets the precedent and judging by how lenient the labor department is, you can tell how much power employers have versus employees and what they can get away with.

4) Yes, I definitely don't think it's unique to Atlanta. I feel confident if I were to do the research that certain major cities in NC are full of them too. About what you said concerning the benefits, I've noticed that companies in general make the benefits so expensive that workers neglect to sign up for them at all. This saves them (the temps do this too I'm sure) a lot of money.
Yes, under $20 is very sickening...very. I'm glad you pointed these facts out because the whole temp/independent contracting issue is pretty complex regarding all the fields that are impacted. Its reach definitely isn't limited to just one or two fields like retail, logistics, etc. People will start caring now that it's affecting the middle class. They didn't care about it before. We'll see if people stand up. Pretty sure they won't and even if they do, they will vote for establishment "leaders" who will do nothing.

Glad you emphasized "temporary" because in the midst of it all, many forget that some of these jobs are just that and some might only have work for a few months. Yes, you are right about employment laws. Between what me and you mentioned and automation, the degree thing better get sorted out. We already have over a trillion + student loan problem and it's affecting the economy already. I definitely don't think our generation is making anything near to what previous generations did. If it's not what we talked out, it's insourcing/offshoring.

To make things worse, people who are independent contractors can't write off gas they used due to their job, uniform expenses, etc. That tax law really took money from the poor and middle class and gave it to the very rich.
It's like a race to the bottom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
It used to be a foot in the door, where if companies liked temps, they hired them full-time away from the temp agency. Is that still the case?

It used to be only really low-skilled jobs were temps. Nowadays, it seems more and more companies are using it as a way to get more highly skilled help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
It still happens, but not as much.

What you described has become the new normal post-recession.
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
Florida has a bunch of staffing agencies too. It’s mind boggling. Even the small town have them. They’re almost as common as mosquitoes. Some of them are legit and offer benefits to their temps, similar to what they’d have at big companies. I’m talking GOOD benefits (paid vacation, comprehensive insurance, etc). I don’t look down at temp agencies, but companies in genral like the South for a reason— and it’s not always good reasons either IMHO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
It's not just in Atlanta. I dont know about the northern cities but temp agencies have a stronghold over the south in general.

In Atlanta specifically, it isn't just Logistics either. IT and other professional fields are also impacted. It's almost impossible to get on with Hewlett Packard or Cisco without going through Insight Global or Robert Half, and they pay CONSIDERABLY less for the same roles. Usually they do offer benefits but typically the benefits are more expensive or basically just something enough to say they provide them.

There is also OnePath and they usually source through Stone Resource Group. IBM sometimes sources projects through CGS (computer generated solutions) paying employees under $20 hourly which is sickening.

Employment agencies also gave a strong presence in Tampa FL, Houston / DFW TX. Austin has them for select projects, other projects it's still possible to onboard directly but that's also slowly changing.

The other issue with agencies isnt so much the pay but how long the project last. Sure they'll give you 90k a year but if it only lasts 6 months, what good is that?

This is mainly an issue with weak employment laws yet the system wants everyone to get a $80k degree they know they cant pay for.

Last edited by DreamerD; 05-04-2019 at 09:14 PM..

Old 05-04-2019, 08:49 PM

163 posts, read 156,198 times
Going rate in metro ATL for logistics and manufacturing is $10 to $12 hourly for temps.

Old 05-04-2019, 10:38 PM

11,811 posts, read 8,018,631 times
Quote:
4) Yes, I definitely don't think it's unique to Atlanta. I feel confident if I were to do the research that certain major cities in NC are full of them too. About what you said concerning the benefits, I've noticed that companies in general make the benefits so expensive that workers neglect to sign up for them at all. This saves them (the temps do this too I'm sure) a lot of money.
Yes, under $20 is very sickening...very. I'm glad you pointed these facts out because the whole temp/independent contracting issue is pretty complex regarding all the fields that are impacted. Its reach definitely isn't limited to just one or two fields like retail, logistics, etc. People will start caring now that it's affecting the middle class. They didn't care about it before. We'll see if people stand up. Pretty sure they won't and even if they do, they will vote for establishment "leaders" who will do nothing.

Glad you emphasized "temporary" because in the midst of it all, many forget that some of these jobs are just that and some might only have work for a few months. Yes, you are right about employment laws. Between what me and you mentioned and automation, the degree thing better get sorted out. We already have over a trillion + student loan problem and it's affecting the economy already. I definitely don't think our generation is making anything near to what previous generations did. If it's not what we talked out, it's insourcing/offshoring.

To make things worse, people who are independent contractors can't write off gas they used due to their job, uniform expenses, etc. That tax law really took money from the poor and middle class and gave it to the very rich.
It's like a race to the bottom.
Someone who has it worse than the middle class are H1B's. I'm sure there are plenty that are doing okay but there are alot of them that are at the mercy of their employer. Google for example flanks a 'lack of talent' and uses offshore contractors and then onboards thousands of H1B's and pays them $30 - $40k a year for projects worth well over $80k then have them work their life away and if they say no they just send them right back to India. They do onboard local talent and compensate them the cost of living (and nothing more)...then siphon the lives out of them wishing them to work 24x7 even during off hours and if you complain about overtime, exempt employees plainly have no rights, and can even have their paychecks docked for hours missed...thus many Americans leave or refuse to work for those contractors putting even more strain on H1B's.

But yes. Laws have nothing to do with protecting the lower or middle class in the slightest. Some exist to ward off potential lawsuits but even some of those have very stringent clauses meant to protect the employer. This world is for the elite and only them.

Companies today, even high level companies are not here to help major cities or their environment, they are here to make a profit. They will pay as low as they can get away with while demanding the most productivity as possible. It just kind of makes me grin when people say 'Ooo we have Microsoft, IBM, Dell, Hewlett Packard, Cisco' ect thinking somehow everyone in the city is going to see a benefit from this or even half of the hired candidates are really going to be making more than anywhere else.

This is one reason I was quite glad Amazon did NOT make it to Atlanta. It would have financially massacred it. The average employee would have seen dirt for money and local munapalities would have capitalized off of its presence shooting rents through the roof just as they did to Seattle.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 05-04-2019 at 10:47 PM..

Old 05-05-2019, 06:54 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,513,012 times
Quote:
Someone who has it worse than the middle class are H1B's. I'm sure there are plenty that are doing okay but there are alot of them that are at the mercy of their employer. Google for example flanks a 'lack of talent' and uses offshore contractors and then onboards thousands of H1B's and pays them $30 - $40k a year for projects worth well over $80k then have them work their life away and if they say no they just send them right back to India. They do onboard local talent and compensate them the cost of living (and nothing more)...then siphon the lives out of them wishing them to work 24x7 even during off hours and if you complain about overtime, exempt employees plainly have no rights, and can even have their paychecks docked for hours missed...thus many Americans leave or refuse to work for those contractors putting even more strain on H1B's.

But yes. Laws have nothing to do with protecting the lower or middle class in the slightest. Some exist to ward off potential lawsuits but even some of those have very stringent clauses meant to protect the employer. This world is for the elite and only them.

Companies today, even high level companies are not here to help major cities or their environment, they are here to make a profit. They will pay as low as they can get away with while demanding the most productivity as possible. It just kind of makes me grin when people say 'Ooo we have Microsoft, IBM, Dell, Hewlett Packard, Cisco' ect thinking somehow everyone in the city is going to see a benefit from this or even half of the hired candidates are really going to be making more than anywhere else.

This is one reason I was quite glad Amazon did NOT make it to Atlanta. It would have financially massacred it. The average employee would have seen dirt for money and local munapalities would have capitalized off of its presence shooting rents through the roof just as they did to Seattle.

Old 05-05-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:

Not to be callous but I don't really care for the people who are here on H1B's. They come to the U.S. and a lot of them learn racist ways and treat black people like sh**.

It's a pity people don't realize this. We treat the poorest of our society less than human and worship the elites. We will see how people change...if and how long it takes when they start getting similar treatment to blacks and Hispanics.
I had no idea all those big names are using temp workers. I heard Alpharetta's median income is over $100,000 due to tech jobs. I wonder if many of these workers are independent contractors versus temp workers who may get paid a lot less.

I'm glad they didn't come to Atlanta too. There are those who are upset with the New Yorkers who spoke out against them but I can see why...rent is already too high. Judging by how Amazon treats their warehouse workers...

Old 05-05-2019, 11:41 AM

145 posts, read 93,405 times
Quote:

Do we know that Amazon uses temp workers? I was hoping to work there because guess what - I'm in a temp job now and have been for the past 7 years. All the jobs in this area are temp these days and thanks to this thread I'm starting to see this as deliberate.

Yes it's cheap to live here but they also dont pay us well compared to Seattle or DC where Amazon is setting up shop. Does anyone have experience with Amazon and can tell me what they pay their workers and if it's temp work or full time? I am in the logistics IT side of things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: