Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 12:53 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,770,863 times

Advertisements

I think this will be fun to watch, granted 8 homes isn’t enough lots to really show how long term demand holds up.

We need more different kinds of housing. Too many nimbys in all parts of town try to dictate what their area is or isn’t and it makes housing expensive for certain segments of the population that don’t need more expensive housing, but that doesn’t mean they can’t afford a real small home, with a yard, community, small porch, etc...

These, beyond cable TV fads, can actually be good housing options for old singles on a limited, fixed income, as well as younger singles with a starting salary that do not have the benefit of a second salary from a significant other.

These might not quite be the best for single moms, but it worth noting they are the ones with the greatest need.

While I’m not sure this is the way to do it, we need to do more new things, because it is possible for certain groups to have access to quality built, more affordable housing.

What I do have concerns about is how well the value of these types of homes will hold up for the original purchasers over time. It is a unique concept and it has yet to be tested how well they will hold value over time, compared to that of a traditional home. There is a real risk there on such a large investment in someone’s life.

It does make sense that a town like Clarkston has more room to take chances. I hope it goes well.

Old 05-10-2019, 02:50 PM

225 posts, read 144,360 times
We need more different kinds of housing. Too many nimbys in all parts of town try to dictate what their area is or isn’t and it makes housing expensive for certain segments of the population that don’t need more expensive housing..

I agree.

These..can actually be good housing options for old singles on a limited, fixed income, as well as younger singles with a starting salary that do not have the benefit of a second salary from a significant other.

I agree.

..we need to do more new things, because it is possible for certain groups to have access to quality built, more affordable housing.

I agree.

I don't know when HOA fees really started to soar, but for many who just scrape together enough to afford the more affordable single family houses in and around Atlanta - many of these monthly HOA fees are obscene. Many were not the beneficiaries of well-off parents/family with college connections and many are not in line for trust funds and fat inheritances. The hard working lower middle class who saves, maintain excellent credit and plays by the rules in life, ought to be able to have a home of their own which they can afford. Some would choose to live small and lower their carbon footprint. Not all need 2500 SF and up house with garages packed full of junk that at best is yard sale pennies on the dollar, or at worst more fodder for landfills.

..and what's up with these people who drop in and throw up a McMansion amongst the older homes common to the neighborhood? It's freaking bizarre. They'd be better appreciated in neighborhood befitting their feelings of self-importance. People tolerate ostentatious, pretentious folks up to a point, but when they site their McMansions on top of you, blocking the sunlight that once shined on your property, it can move beyond toleration toward resentment.

Old 05-10-2019, 03:05 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,997,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDreaming01 View Post
The first picture--are they envisioning a mom, dad and two little boys living in a 250-492 square foot house??
I grew up in a 800 sq foot turn of the century bungalow with me, my parents, and 5 siblings. It's completely possible and strange to me that people have a hard time imagining it. You just have less stuff.

Old 05-10-2019, 03:34 PM

11,794 posts, read 8,008,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
They could be. But it's a fad that's lasted 40 or 50 years. By that metric, almost anything could be called a fad.

I was kind of joking about the tiny houses. But even the biggest supporters surely admit they'll never be for anything more than a niche audience. I know getting a house for $100k seems like a pretty good deal... but when you calculate how much you're paying per square foot, it's really not a very good deal at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
What, you don't think a mom should share a queen sized bed with two sons?

Elitist!!!!
Its really a pretty good deal IMHO despite the size and square foot issue. I mean, you are right outside of Downtown and transit for $100k. I dont think these are intended for full size families but single or possibly married millenials who like to live close to work and have immediate access to transit without throwing their life savings away just to live downtown. These are the kind of people who would be paying three times as much to live in a condo in comparable sizes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trouillot View Post
I don't know when HOA fees really started to soar, but for many who just scrape together enough to afford the more affordable single family houses in and around Atlanta - many of these monthly HOA fees are obscene. Many were not the beneficiaries of well-off parents/family with college connections and many are not in line for trust funds and fat inheritances. The hard working lower middle class who saves, maintain excellent credit and plays by the rules in life, ought to be able to have a home of their own which they can afford. Some would choose to live small and lower their carbon footprint. Not all need 2500 SF and up house with garages packed full of junk that at best is yard sale pennies on the dollar, or at worst more fodder for landfills.

..and what's up with these people who drop in and throw up a McMansion amongst the older homes common to the neighborhood? It's freaking bizarre. They'd be better appreciated in neighborhood befitting their feelings of self-importance. People tolerate ostentatious, pretentious folks up to a point, but when they site their McMansions on top of you, blocking the sunlight that once shined on your property, it can move beyond toleration toward resentment.
HOA's in the metro seem to be more a racket more than anything else. They have too much power and turned something that was intended to protect home values into a means of collecting money. I knew HOA fees in the metro were fairly high but didn't realize how high until I moved to Austin. Atlanta HOA's are as much as three times higher for comparable neighborhoods.

Old 05-10-2019, 03:41 PM

32,023 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I grew up in a 800 sq foot turn of the century bungalow with me, my parents, and 5 siblings. It's completely possible and strange to me that people have a hard time imagining it. You just have less stuff.
Absolutely. We didn't even think it was crowded, except you had to fight for bathroom time.

Old 05-10-2019, 06:55 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,945,890 times
This is really a new twist on the trailer park. Before y'all get all uppity trailer parks can be a great affordable housing option! The problem is cities won't zone anything to that might be a trailer park.

Imagine double wide sized lots with cool looking manufactured houses. Some of them could even be 2 stories. 2-4 bedrooms, no garage, community parking, and the land owned by an HOA. The price point would be $125k-$200k in nice but not great parts of town.

btw, a basic double wide is just under $100k and is around 1100 sqft. So, a nicer one plus the land can be done for a reasonable price.

Old 05-10-2019, 07:17 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,358,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDreaming01 View Post
The first picture--are they envisioning a mom, dad and two little boys living in a 250-492 square foot house??
Have you ever watched these "Tiny House Hunters" shows on HGTV. Those people plan on putting four people and a dog in 250 square foot houses. I guess if it works for them, it works for them. I'd want to kill myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
What I do have concerns about is how well the value of these types of homes will hold up for the original purchasers over time. It is a unique concept and it has yet to be tested how well they will hold value over time, compared to that of a traditional home. There is a real risk there on such a large investment in someone’s life.

It does make sense that a town like Clarkston has more room to take chances. I hope it goes well.
Yeah, I'm not sure about it. $100-$110k for well under 500 square feet in Clarkston? You can get much larger places out there for much less. This is purely fad pricing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Its really a pretty good deal IMHO despite the size and square foot issue. I mean, you are right outside of Downtown and transit for $100k.
This is in Clarkston. You're outside of downtown Clarkston, not Downtown Atlanta. As for transit, downtown Clarkston is 3.5 miles from MARTA. For reference, that's the same distance that Fernbank Museum of Natural History is from the North Avenue station. That's not very close.

Quote:
I dont think these are intended for full size families but single or possibly married millenials who like to live close to work and have immediate access to transit without throwing their life savings away just to live downtown. These are the kind of people who would be paying three times as much to live in a condo in comparable sizes.
Again...downtown Clarkston. No one living here is going to be close to work or close to transit, much less have immediate access to transit. Also...you can get 1/1 condos in Buckhead for near $100k.

Old 05-10-2019, 07:51 PM

11,794 posts, read 8,008,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Have you ever watched these "Tiny House Hunters" shows on HGTV. Those people plan on putting four people and a dog in 250 square foot houses. I guess if it works for them, it works for them. I'd want to kill myself.

Yeah, I'm not sure about it. $100-$110k for well under 500 square feet in Clarkston? You can get much larger places out there for much less. This is purely fad pricing.

This is in Clarkston. You're outside of downtown Clarkston, not Downtown Atlanta. As for transit, downtown Clarkston is 3.5 miles from MARTA. For reference, that's the same distance that Fernbank Museum of Natural History is from the North Avenue station. That's not very close.

Again...downtown Clarkston. No one living here is going to be close to work or close to transit, much less have immediate access to transit. Also...you can get 1/1 condos in Buckhead for near $100k.
Even with that stated, its still a interesting concept. I mean, $100k house, bus to Indian Creek or Kensington, not everyone needs a $250k - $350k house. I could completely see someone utilizing it.

I mean sure it would be great if it had more space or if it were in Downtown but for that price I'm sure someone will take it.

Old 05-10-2019, 08:06 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,358,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Even with that stated, its still a interesting concept. I mean, $100k house, bus to Indian Creek or Kensington, not everyone needs a $250k - $350k house. I could completely see someone utilizing it.

I mean sure it would be great if it had more space or if it were in Downtown but for that price I'm sure someone will take it.
Oh, I'm sure someone will, but the price is kind of high for that amount of space on a plot of land that small in that area. I would certainly not call it a wise investment.

Old 05-10-2019, 08:43 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,314,989 times
I applaud efforts to develop more affordable housing, and this accomplishes that as far as the actual price is concerned, but the value proposition is poor, and the land use is even worse. Sure, 8 units on half an acre sounds like a lot, but when the living spaces of said units are minuscule, it works out to pretty poor utilization. They ought to go vertical instead.

My own neighborhood actually features similar density, with smallish lots, but the single-family homes, townhomes and condo building (yes, we have all three) are all relatively tall (2-4 stories) and thus make much better use of their lots, with homes ranging anywhere from 1,200 to 3,500 SF. And there's still plenty of green space (both private and community) and tree cover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta