Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2019, 12:06 PM

164 posts, read 322,447 times

Advertisements

Hi. I moved to Iowa from Forsyth County in 2009. I’m in the process of moving back to Atlanta and looking to transfer jobs to Kennesaw, I know commuting from Forsyth county to Kennesaw isn’t the best idea so I’m looking at Woodstock. Does anyone know about Cherokee County Schools?

Also our kids have same sex parents, how is diversity and acceptance in the Woodstock area?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2019, 01:35 PM

197 posts, read 204,186 times
Literally anywhere in Metro Atlanta is more diverse and accepting than Forsyth County. But i’d recommend just moving to Kennesaw where your job is. There are tons of LGBT people and tons of services/programs for them at Kennesaw State, but the older people are conservative.

Old 05-17-2019, 04:31 PM

712 posts, read 701,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camille563 View Post
Hi. I moved to Iowa from Forsyth County in 2009. I’m in the process of moving back to Atlanta and looking to transfer jobs to Kennesaw, I know commuting from Forsyth county to Kennesaw isn’t the best idea so I’m looking at Woodstock. Does anyone know about Cherokee County Schools?

Also our kids have same sex parents, how is diversity and acceptance in the Woodstock area?
Woodstock is one of the more diverse areas in Cherokee County. The schools are genrally good in that part of the county. I don’t think I know enough people there to give you an accurate estimate on acceptance of a same sex couple. Of course, Kennesaw itself is also an option.

For what it’s worth I live in Forsyth. In our neighborhood we have two same sex couples both had / have children and one of the two families includes a trans woman. To the best of my knowledge people have generally been accepting here which leads me to speculate that you might find a similar environment in Woodstock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lethalhipster9 View Post
Literally anywhere in Metro Atlanta is more diverse and accepting than Forsyth County. But i’d recommend just moving to Kennesaw where your job is. There are tons of LGBT people and tons of services/programs for them at Kennesaw State, but the older people are conservative.
You are literally uninformed. Forsyth is already more racially and ethnically diverse than Cherokee and is rapidly becoming much more so.

Old 05-17-2019, 05:24 PM

164 posts, read 322,447 times
Im more familiar with Forsyth county and that’s where I really want to be. So how bad will the drive be to Kennesaw? Work schedule will be 7-4pm.

Old 05-17-2019, 05:39 PM

712 posts, read 701,036 times
Quote:
Im more familiar with Forsyth county and that’s where I really want to be. So how bad will the drive be to Kennesaw? Work schedule will be 7-4pm.
If you really are dead set on Forsyth I would only look in the western most parts of the county. I think you’re looking at an hour or more each way even from that part of Forsyth. That said, you definitely ought to explore Woodstock and Kennesaw. You’d save an enormous amount of time commuting.

Old 05-17-2019, 10:17 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Quote:

Quote:
The morning commute to work (to be at work by 7am) from most parts of Forsyth County to the Kennesaw area would be upwards of about an hour or more.

The afternoon commute home from Kennesaw to Forsyth County would be the worst and could take upwards of 2 hours on the worst days.

I probably would not live any further away than Woodstock if I was commuting to (and from) work in Kennesaw, just simply because of the severity of the traffic congestion throughout Atlanta's entire Northern suburban arc.

I know that you are familiar with Forsyth County and that is where you really want to be.

But with you commuting to and from work in Kennesaw and the severity of the traffic congestion across the entire Northern arc of the greater Atlanta metropolitan area, you probably should (and really may have little choice but to) get much more familiar and much more comfortable with the Kennesaw area and nearby parts of the Northwest metro Atlanta suburbs (North Cobb County and South Cherokee County, including Woodstock).

Both the school systems in Cobb and Cherokee counties are very good and very high in quality.

Like BR Valentine stated, Woodstock (which is still decidedly socially and culturally conservative, but NOT necessarily the most ultraconservative like much of Georgia outside of the I-285 Perimeter) is the most diverse part of Cherokee County.

Neighboring Cobb County has nearly 3 times the population of Cherokee County and is much more diverse and probably is likely to be more accepting of a same sex couple than much of Cherokee County.

Though, generally, Woodstock is not at all a bad area to consider for relocation.

Old 05-17-2019, 10:56 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,317,925 times
Have you considered moving to the south side of Atlanta, where almost everyone is liberal and housing is very affordable?

Old 05-18-2019, 05:31 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,696,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
Have you considered moving to the south side of Atlanta, where almost everyone is liberal and housing is very affordable?
I wouldn't say all that.

Newnan and PTC are relatively liberal and diverse, and racial demographic shifts are turning Henry County solidly blue, but once you get into more exurban/rural Fayette County and Coweta Counties, it's no different than parts of exurban/rural Forsyth and Cherokee Counties.

There's also the issue of jobs. If you're a college educated professional seeking salaried/corporate employment and plenty of networking/career growth opportunities, uour best bet is to stay on the northside. That's the reason housing is affordable on the southside.

Last edited by citidata18; 05-18-2019 at 05:56 AM..

Old 05-18-2019, 08:43 AM

197 posts, read 204,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
I wouldn't say all that.

Newnan and PTC are relatively liberal and diverse, and racial demographic shifts are turning Henry County solidly blue, but once you get into more exurban/rural Fayette County and Coweta Counties, it's no different than parts of exurban/rural Forsyth and Cherokee Counties.

There's also the issue of jobs. If you're a college educated professional seeking salaried/corporate employment and plenty of networking/career growth opportunities, uour best bet is to stay on the northside. That's the reason housing is affordable on the southside.

Newnan and PTC are conservative.

Old 05-18-2019, 09:52 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,696,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lethalhipster9 View Post
Newnan and PTC are conservative.
Maybe not PTC as much, but this image shows precincts in Newnan proper have been going Democrat since at least 2008.

https://www.whitdem.org/elections/GA0218.gif

So they're certainly not as conservative as some think, and clearly more liberal than the surrounding exurban/rural areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta