Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2019, 05:01 PM

278 posts, read 1,110,125 times

Advertisements

Anyone know what is going on with the solicitors downtown and midtown? They are downright militant about it! I think its the Humane Society. I can ignore and walk around them but kinda feel its on par with homeless begging. Can we just put a parking meter for donations for the Humane Society??

just curious if anyone else noticed them...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2019, 05:15 PM

446 posts, read 397,296 times
No, but surely it would be obvious if they were soliciting for the Humane Society or any other legit organization. They would have some obvious indication of their organization,

That said, they are apparently having an Urgent Summer Fund Drive right now:
https://atlantahumane.org/urgent-sum.../#.XSPOB-jYrnE

Old 07-12-2019, 06:49 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,879,410 times
I would rather deal with being asked for change than have to deal with these groups EVERYDAY.

Old 07-12-2019, 07:24 AM

47 posts, read 36,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
i would rather deal with being asked for change than have to deal with these groups everyday.
amen

Old 07-12-2019, 08:59 AM

3,711 posts, read 5,991,098 times
Oh, they're legit. And way, way over the top. I just say no and don't break my stride.

They'll literally stop you when you're running. It's insane. Makes me question the organization--are these people on commission? What's the incentive structure here that's getting them to act like this?

I even offered to make a one time donation and they said no, we only take monthly donations. I said I'm not willing to do that and they acted very put off.

And it's not some temporary thing. They've been doing this for at least 6 months, maybe a year.

Old 07-30-2019, 12:43 PM

314 posts, read 1,278,143 times
They've been doing this for a while! extremely annoying and aggressive. I just don't make eye contact as they wave their arms wildly at me.

Old 07-30-2019, 01:44 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,369,366 times
I was going to do a thread on this lol. It's like legalized panhandling. They are very visible around GSU campus. I mostly see them along Decatur St. between Piedmont and I think Peachtree Center Ave. I also see them along the Peachtree St. strip. If there aren't a lot of people walking, I legit cross the road to avoid them. If it seems pretty busy, I try to walk very near to the street AND time it in a way I am passing them the same time as others are that way they will stop them instead of me. I know...I'm having to boil this down to a science.

@Tesla, I don't know if they are paid but dam*, they are worse than the panhandlers who beg illegally. It's getting to be a lot tbh. There's the illegal one, then them, then the Human Rights people. At last the last one isn't aggressive or not from what I have seen at least.

Old 07-30-2019, 02:57 PM

4,061 posts, read 2,140,022 times
While there are people who care so much about animal rights that they volunteer, I doubt these people are volunteers. They're just too slick, too aggressive. And they are dressed up in suits---which would turn most people off from volunteering their time. They had a table frequently at Sugarloaf Mills Mall, so I assume they got permission from mall management and that someone thought they were legit, but I just have my doubts. And they all struck me as being more like salespeople who could have been selling electronics or time shares more so than people who work or volunteer for teh Humane Society.

Most likely they are work for companies that contract with the Humane Society, perhaps splitting what they fund raise 50-50%. Check out this article about people soliciting for the Humane Society in NYC. Appears to be paid on commission only. And the second article---where in Massachusetts and California, zero dollars went to the animals. Nationally, only 2 to 4 percent goes to the animals/the actual Humane Society! And the Humane Society doesn't run shelters. They donate 1% of the money they raise to actual shelters! They've actually acknowledged that 50% of the money they raise goes to overhead (fundraising, staff salaries and pensions). It's rated a D in terms of charity ratings by independent sources and in DC was actually investigated on RICO charges and racketeering!

https://www.humanewatch.org/hsus-fun...dy-operations/

https://www.humanewatch.org/hsus-onl...nt-to-animals/

https://www.humanewatch.org/real_simple/

I love animals, but save your money and don't give anything or even interact with these people.

Old 07-30-2019, 05:54 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,369,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
While there are people who care so much about animal rights that they volunteer, I doubt these people are volunteers. They're just too slick, too aggressive. And they are dressed up in suits---which would turn most people off from volunteering their time. They had a table frequently at Sugarloaf Mills Mall, so I assume they got permission from mall management and that someone thought they were legit, but I just have my doubts. And they all struck me as being more like salespeople who could have been selling electronics or time shares more so than people who work or volunteer for teh Humane Society.

Most likely they are work for companies that contract with the Humane Society, perhaps splitting what they fund raise 50-50%. Check out this article about people soliciting for the Humane Society in NYC. Appears to be paid on commission only. And the second article---where in Massachusetts and California, zero dollars went to the animals. Nationally, only 2 to 4 percent goes to the animals/the actual Humane Society! And the Humane Society doesn't run shelters. They donate 1% of the money they raise to actual shelters! They've actually acknowledged that 50% of the money they raise goes to overhead (fundraising, staff salaries and pensions). It's rated a D in terms of charity ratings by independent sources and in DC was actually investigated on RICO charges and racketeering!

https://www.humanewatch.org/hsus-fun...dy-operations/

https://www.humanewatch.org/hsus-onl...nt-to-animals/

https://www.humanewatch.org/real_simple/

I love animals, but save your money and don't give anything or even interact with these people.

What is up with these non-profits getting away with these things?!!? The NRA and MADD are also shady non-profits. They have the designation but are run like corporations. NRA I think is still getting investigated and MADD had a C- last time I checked (charity rating by independent source).

I found this quote from the link you posted and had to laugh: While I was designing my business plan, Leander paced back and forth on the platform with an iPad in hand, asking, “Excuse me sir/miss, do you like puppies?” Nobody said yes, but if they had, Leander would have asked if they wanted to donate to the Humane Society.

I've heard this question myself, "Do you like animals" and my answer was, "Not really." I think they proceeded to ask if I like dogs. I have to give them props. They hire really good salespeople. They certainly know how to engage people and will legit block your path (this I don't like). Come to think of it...I have to wonder if the Human Rights campaign does the same thing. Hmm...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: