Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2020, 12:58 PM

2,084 posts, read 1,380,481 times

Advertisements

DEKALB COUNTY, Ga. — DeKalb County leaders kicked off a new step in their “Stop the Spread” initiative Saturday by going to a local shopping plaza, handing out masks and signs to small businesses as a part of a “No Mask, No Service” campaign..."

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/dek...FYXHOQR6K4EEQ/

SOURCE: WSBTV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2020, 03:09 AM

11,804 posts, read 8,012,998 times
That's pretty interesting and proactive. I welcome it.

Old 07-27-2020, 03:37 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
That's pretty interesting and proactive. I welcome it.
Yeah, same here. In my area of NW DeKalb, I haven't seen anyone without a mask at Kroger, Publix or Target in a while now. Not sure what the situation is in other parts of the County though, I've been sticking pretty close to home.

Old 07-27-2020, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Yeah, same here. In my area of NW DeKalb, I haven't seen anyone without a mask at Kroger, Publix or Target in a while now. Not sure what the situation is in other parts of the County though, I've been sticking pretty close to home.
From what I've been witnessing it seems that the closer to the city you are the more adherence to mask wearing you get but when you get to the suburbs or outer suburbs you get a bunch of yeehaws that want to stand by 'their rights' having no concern for the health of anyone around them. When I was there last, Gwinnett was hit or miss. Helen and Daholonega almost noone was wearing one (and plenty of people were out) In the intown and higher density areas though alot more people wore them. It's also kind of the same here (until the state finally woke up and mandated them.. it took completely overwhelming Houston's, Dallas's, and Austin's healthcare capacity to finally do it.) I can justify reopenings to safe decrees if people were to be more responsible in social distancing and mask wearing.

Collaboration is sorely needed in fighting this, instead this nation is fighting itself and then attempts to justify it. The rising case and death count shows for it.

Old 07-27-2020, 08:19 AM

13,624 posts, read 7,936,616 times
The *more* obvious it becomes that the threat of this disease does not justify reordering society, the *more* heavy-handed they get with enforced implementation of the visual signs of superstitious submission.

Complete insanity. It's like the whole world is shrouded in a disorienting fog. No one is capable of viewing reality clearly anymore. It causes those of us who still can see reality for what it is to be labeled as "crazy", "conspiracy theorists", or my favorite bit of manipulative gaslighting, "selfish".

Old 07-27-2020, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post
The *more* obvious it becomes that the threat of this disease does not justify reordering society, the *more* heavy-handed they get with enforced implementation of the visual signs of superstitious submission.

Complete insanity. It's like the whole world is shrouded in a disorienting fog. No one is capable of viewing reality clearly anymore. It causes those of us who still can see reality for what it is to be labeled as "crazy", "conspiracy theorists", or my favorite bit of manipulative gaslighting, "selfish".
Well you're more than welcome to head back to Florida. They seem to be handling it quite well

Its killed more than 4x as many as the Flu and 3x as many as automobile deaths do annually in only 6 months. How much more 'reality' do you need?

And indeed, you are selfish if you're unwilling to yield to the greater cause of concern for the public health. It doesnt matter what 'you' feel about it. If you are so stubborn as to be unwilling to wear a mask to aid in preventing the spread, your focus isnt on the public health, it's on your personal convenience and comfort.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 07-27-2020 at 08:49 AM..

Old 07-27-2020, 09:09 AM

1,180 posts, read 984,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post

I've been working part time at a hospital since covid started. We are running out of ICU beds. We don't have enough nurses and support staff. We will have to turn patients away starting this week. People that need critical care and don't have covid. You won't see reality until you are actually in the trenches. Reality is trying to explain to a family why they can't see their critically family members. Reality is explaining to the patients that are conscious that no one can visit them while they are recovering. Reality is watching healthy 30 year olds die after contracting covid. You may refuse to acknowledge this reality but the rest of us are fighting hard to keep things from getting worse and putting us on a course to return to normal.

Last edited by Atlanta Scientist; 07-27-2020 at 09:23 AM..

Old 07-27-2020, 09:34 AM

13,624 posts, read 7,936,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Scientist View Post
I've been working part time at a hospital since covid started.
I've been working full time at a hospital for the past 11 years. Nice to meet you.

Quote:
We are running out of ICU beds. We don't have enough nurses and support staff.
Hospitals are perpetually "running out of ICU beds" especially during heavy flu seasons. This rumor has been going around for months, but it's never materialized into an actual emergency situation. Even in NY which was hardest hit, the emergency facilities set up/brought in were hardly used and have been removed.

Quote:
We will have to turn patients away starting this week. People that need critical care and don't have covid.
Says who?

Quote:
You won't see reality until you are actually in the trenches. Reality is trying to explain to a family why they can't see their critically family members. Reality is explaining to the patients that are conscious that no one can visit them while they are recovering. Reality is watching healthy 30 year olds die after contracting covid. You may refuse to acknowledge this reality but the rest of us are fighting hard to keep things from getting worse and putting us on a course to return to normal.
I am in the trenches. The threat does not justify the response. Not even close. You do realize that "having to explain to a family...explaining to the patients"...etc are policy options that could be changed, right? If a healthy 30 year old died after contracting covid, then that's a shame; but exceptions don't prove the rule. The reality is that death rates for those under 60 are miniscule.

I hate to break it to you, but there will be no return to normal. We are being conditioned for a new reality. Stock up on things of real value - tools, non-perishables, a water collection system, and ammo.

Old 07-28-2020, 05:59 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
Just, wow!

Old 07-28-2020, 07:45 AM

190 posts, read 318,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris1 View Post
DEKALB COUNTY, Ga. — DeKalb County leaders kicked off a new step in their “Stop the Spread” initiative Saturday by going to a local shopping plaza, handing out masks and signs to small businesses as a part of a “No Mask, No Service” campaign..."

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/dek...FYXHOQR6K4EEQ/

SOURCE: WSBTV

So, what if you're not wearing a mask, but you're gay and you walk into a bakery? Asking for a friend...
I'm totally kidding...that was my lame attempt at a joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta