Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2020, 08:07 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,274,754 times

Advertisements

https://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta-new...IEZPXRBCAXZRU/

Read this in the printed paper this morning and then checked online. I won’t critique the need but noticed nobody was wearing masks...and one of the kids in the “pod” has a mother who works at a senior center.

“The pod has helped. She’s able to work her shifts as a server at a senior citizens home“

Really?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2020, 01:05 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,713,719 times
Oh for sure. I know this is a super charged topic, so I'll keep it high level. But a very large portion of the population doesn't see masks as a solution, and in many respects sees them as a part of the problem for many reason.

With cobb going virtual, we put our son in a 2x/week co-op because he needs the socialization and 4+ hours behind a screen M-F at his age is not something we want to encourage.

No masks at his school, thus far no issues either.

Old 09-13-2020, 02:48 PM

712 posts, read 702,517 times
Masks reduce the spread of diseases transmitted through respiration. We’ve known that to be true for a very long time. They are not in any way part of “the problem”. It’s unfortunate that a large portion of the population disdains expertise and think they know more than experts. We’d have less community spread if people would follow basic public health guidelines. Instead we have people harassing and threatening public health workers.

As for pods, they get a fair amount of media attention but they are an extremely small niche trend.

Old 09-13-2020, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR Valentine View Post
Masks reduce the spread of diseases transmitted through respiration. We’ve known that to be true for a very long time. They are not in any way part of “the problem”. It’s unfortunate that a large portion of the population disdains expertise and think they know more than experts. We’d have less community spread if people would follow basic public health guidelines. Instead we have people harassing and threatening public health workers.

As for pods, they get a fair amount of media attention but they are an extremely small niche trend.
Maybe all the kids in the pods are tested first, but especially given KLB’s stance about masks in Atlanta having an article like this in the AJC without even addressing social distancing and masks is odd.

It just seems irresponsible.

Old 09-13-2020, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
No masks at his school, thus far no issues either.
Fingers crossed for you.

Unfortunately it’s not an issue...until it is.

Old 09-13-2020, 03:20 PM

32,032 posts, read 36,833,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
https://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta-new...IEZPXRBCAXZRU/

Read this in the printed paper this morning and then checked online. I won’t critique the need but noticed nobody was wearing masks...and one of the kids in the “pod” has a mother who works at a senior center.

“The pod has helped. She’s able to work her shifts as a server at a senior citizens home“

Really?
Wow.

Old 09-13-2020, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Maybe all the kids in the pods are tested first, but especially given KLB’s stance about masks in Atlanta having an article like this in the AJC without even addressing social distancing and masks is odd.

It just seems irresponsible.
It’s unlikely that they are being tested at all and testing is only useful if it’s occurring frequently and with rapid results. I can guarantee that isn’t happing because, sadly, we still don’t have low-cost tests that don’t have to go to a CLIA lab for processing. Yeah, it is an oversight to not mention social distancing and masks.

Old 09-13-2020, 04:15 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,713,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR Valentine View Post

To be honest, it seems to be all the fear obsessed that are having the issues.

We have a lot of educators in our neighborhood, both public and private, and without a doubt the ones that are in person are faring better, with fewer issues. Some people think asking 5 year olds to wear a mask, even on the playground is a smart idea. Most kids with limited supervision would struggle with compliance, and touch their face 50 times a day. Sounds to me like it would be a part of the problem.

Totally fine if you disagree, I just ask that you respect others choices to do what's best for their family, even if you personally disagree with it.

To disdain expertise is to be overly fearful of something that statistically is not a problem for young children. Experts agree those under 24 are 3x more likely to die from flu.

Old 09-13-2020, 05:11 PM

Quote:

We have a lot of educators in our neighborhood, both public and private, and without a doubt the ones that are in person are faring better, with fewer issues. Some people think asking 5 year olds to wear a mask, even on the playground is a smart idea. Most kids with limited supervision would struggle with compliance, and touch their face 50 times a day. Sounds to me like it would be a part of the problem.

Totally fine if you disagree, I just ask that you respect others choices to do what's best for their family, even if you personally disagree with it.

To disdain expertise is to be overly fearful of something that statistically is not a problem for young children. Experts agree those under 24 are 3x more likely to die from flu.
It’s not your sole choice. You are choosing for the rest of population. Masking indoors prevents disease transmission, not masking facilitates transmission. It’s not debatable and you are choosing to increase the probability of spreading the virus. People think it’s their sole choice until they get the disease or transmit it to others unintentionally. There was an outbreak that started in a Maine town that had not previously had any cases linked to a wedding where no one wore a mask. It lead to the death of someone who didn’t attend the wedding and the disease spread to a congregate facility 150 miles away courtesy of an attendee at the wedding.

Outdoors is in fact different. Unless you’re huddled close together with a large group of people masks aren’t necessary. Also, children are vectors of transmission and they can be carriers of very high viral loads while asymptomatic.

Death is not the only possible negative outcome from Covid-19 and Avik Roy who is the source you’re citing is not a physician, let alone an expert in epidemiology or biostatistics. I don’t get plumbing services from accountants and I don’t get biostatistical or epidemiological analysis from partisan journalists. As it happens I have a lot of professional contact with infectious disease experts and public health leaders. Every last one of them recommends mask wearing because the research is clear that masks reduce transmission. We wear masks to protect others. It’s not complicated.

Old 09-13-2020, 06:13 PM

Quote:

I guess you missed the point that the mother of one of the kids in the pod serves meals at a senior home. The son might be fine, the mother too, but it could spread into an environment where it would statistically be a major problem.

The optics are terrible here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: