Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2022, 05:16 PM

10,400 posts, read 11,618,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
ATLANTA — For generations, Atlanta, the birthplace of the civil rights movement, has served as a Black mecca, a beacon of progress and potential for Black Americans looking for more: More money, more opportunity, more house. Black politicians played hardball with the white power brokers in the ‘70s and ‘80s and ‘90s, making sure African Americans got a piece of the financial pie, from city contracts to the airport makeover to the ‘96 Olympics.

The face of political power in Atlanta was undisputedly Black: middle class, college educated, largely middle of the road, but Black.

Today, the face of political power in this heavily blue city is still Black—and Democratic. But now, as the explosion of the entertainment industry turns the city into a Southern Hollywood, a new — and some would say unlikely — form of Black political power is emerging here: Hip-hop moguls.
Atlanta’s Rappers Are Getting Into Politics. It’s Not Sitting Well With Everyone... Critics argue that it looks a lot like the old-fashioned dynamic of rich folks meddling in city politics to further their own interests. (POLITICO Magazine)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2022, 09:15 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,393,212 times
So what's the difference between this and what we currently have-a bunch of elitist politicians. Now it's an issue because the people running don't look like the status quo we unfortunately keep getting stuck with? I mean I'd rather see hip-hop moguls than these politicians with dementia. It needs to stop.

Old 09-18-2022, 10:11 AM

578 posts, read 356,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
So what's the difference between this and what we currently have-a bunch of elitist politicians. Now it's an issue because the people running don't look like the status quo we unfortunately keep getting stuck with? I mean I'd rather see hip-hop moguls than these politicians with dementia. It needs to stop.
Different does not always equal better, but often just a different agenda or focus. It often simply comes with a different type of ineffectiveness and new opportunities for grift. Being hip hop moguls doesn't mean they know and fight for what's best for the city as a whole instead of what's best for their personal interest.

All that being said, none of them are running for office, just attempting to influence who gets into office and the decisions that are made by those officials. Really the article seems more of conflict between Felicia Moore and the rap business community than the political"elites," but from what I'm reading, even Mayor Dickens and his predecessor are in support of these measures. They understand that while the city of Atlanta should respect the industry, the rap industry may not be that integral to the city's future, and in many ways, more of a hindrance, as it currently stands.

Old 09-25-2022, 03:59 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,393,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoski View Post
Different does not always equal better, but often just a different agenda or focus. It often simply comes with a different type of ineffectiveness and new opportunities for grift. Being hip hop moguls doesn't mean they know and fight for what's best for the city as a whole instead of what's best for their personal interest.

All that being said, none of them are running for office, just attempting to influence who gets into office and the decisions that are made by those officials. Really the article seems more of conflict between Felicia Moore and the rap business community than the political"elites," but from what I'm reading, even Mayor Dickens and his predecessor are in support of these measures. They understand that while the city of Atlanta should respect the industry, the rap industry may not be that integral to the city's future, and in many ways, more of a hindrance, as it currently stands.

Different doesn't always equal better, and this isn't my point. I'm just saying why all the negative hype. To me it seems biased. I don't live in Atlanta and so I can't comment on this mayor and this rap community. Regarding what hip hop has done for Atlanta though, you have a great deal of people finding out about Atlanta through music. I would argue that hip-hop to a notable agree has put Atlanta on the map for certain demographics. All it takes is a visit. And the more from the NE, for example, who move down, the more the word spreads. Can we really say that hip-hop has not been integral in some way to Atlanta?

Old 09-25-2022, 04:41 PM

2,067 posts, read 1,347,574 times
From the article:
"And in city politics, that doesn’t always sit well with critics, who argue that what’s playing out in Atlanta looks a lot like the old-fashioned dynamic of rich folks meddling in city politics to further their own interests."

I'm totally on board with this.
This is far better than having rich folks meddling in what they pretend is in other people's interests.
Plus, it's a new crop of rich meddlers. I'm tired of the old crop.

Old 09-25-2022, 06:07 PM

6,313 posts, read 6,876,260 times
The people who don’t like this probably voted for Reagan and/or Trump

Last edited by Prickly Pear; 09-25-2022 at 06:21 PM..

Old 09-25-2022, 07:53 PM

450 posts, read 276,323 times
Newsflash: rappers don't care about Martha's Vineyard-style DNC politics like the people on here and at most they're fighting to keep their nuisance nightclubs/recording studios from being shut down. Which, hey, God bless them, that's why I don't step foot in the west side if I don't have to.

Old 09-26-2022, 09:54 AM

32,049 posts, read 36,957,743 times
I have no problem with rappers getting into politics. They already own huge chunks of the city so why shouldn't their opinions count?

On the other hand, they should be fair. Why put out a bogus rumor that one political candidate is going to shut down the city's strip clubs?

Old 09-26-2022, 06:08 PM

6,313 posts, read 6,876,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smocaine View Post
Newsflash: rappers don't care about Martha's Vineyard-style DNC politics like the people on here and at most they're fighting to keep their nuisance nightclubs/recording studios from being shut down. Which, hey, God bless them, that's why I don't step foot in the west side if I don't have to.
You honestly say some of the wildest stuff sometimes. Since when has anyone here advocated for bland WASPy New England politics? I certainly haven’t been a witness to that.

A lot of rappers talk about growing and bonding with the problems that exist in their community. Things like overpolicing, War on Drugs, etc. frankly it’s been a part of hip hop culture since literally it’s inception that people rep and respect their neighborhoods “the hood”. If they are not involved in things like gang activity wouldn’t they make for some of the best choices for political advocacy? Someone proud of their neighborhood and want to advocate for better resources for it? So long as the rappers continue to touch grass every now and again and don’t forget their roots I’m not seeing the issue. But politicians getting their heads in the clouds from wealth and power and not touching grass is a common issue that plagues all of them so if a rapper doesn’t do that they are no different than any other politician on that front. So again… not seeing the differences.

Some rappers are really intelligent and I can see them being potentially good candidates. Again some, not all. But I also apply that to all people from all different walks of life. Just because someone went to say, Harvard, doesn’t mean they are a good candidate for politics. More likely to be a better candidate than your average rapper sure… but being political theory nerd or knowing it is not all that one needs to be a good politician. Are you charismatic? Can you “sell” your position to get votes? It takes a combination of a good tongue and a good brain to be a politician. Everyone is involved in politics, but not everyone can be a representative or an advocate for others. Or a good one that we as the People deserve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: