Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2020, 09:27 AM

2,084 posts, read 1,378,520 times

Advertisements

A couple of award-winning Atlanta rappers are reinvesting in their neighborhood by reopening a historic Westside restaurant.

Michael Render, known by his stage name "Killer Mike," and Clifford "T.I." Harris purchased Bankhead Seafood in 2018, along with Noel Khalil, founder and principal of Columbia Residential LLC. Render last week announced the group's plans for the restaurant at 1651 Donald Lee Hollowell Pkwy. NW during a press conference at Frederick Douglass High School in Collier Heights. Render and Harris both attended the school..."

ARTICLE & VIDEO: https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/..._news_headline

SOURCE: Atlanta Business Chronicle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2020, 02:01 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,362,533 times
It's really nice to see these two black men who are so passionate about reinvesting in their community. It sends a message to care about where you live and to be there for each other. I hope this message resonates. They are being proactive, and I like that. I like what Michael Render ("Killer Mike") said about people who have made it having the wish to be respected by their community. This is a way great way to give back. It was pretty cool the bit about the scholarships too.

Old 03-03-2020, 02:09 PM

821 posts, read 725,780 times
So is this affected by the 6 month ban?

Old 03-03-2020, 07:39 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,403,233 times
I loved their food but to be honest I preferred Rahim's on Campbellton. For t hose not scared to go to the hood, some of the best seafood/soul food you'll find in the city.

Old 03-05-2020, 12:51 PM

1,005 posts, read 728,458 times
Really nice to hear that someone from the community could invest this way. I loved their food. I hope I'll love it again. But I really, really hope that they add some healthier options to the menu too! I haven't tried the food truck, but, I'd be able to visit more if it were healthier.

Old 03-06-2020, 02:41 AM

2,437 posts, read 3,847,018 times
Also, on a somewhat related note...
https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/rap...OHNGIZBNCL25E/

Last edited by equinox63; 03-06-2020 at 02:56 AM..

Old 03-07-2020, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seussie View Post
Really nice to hear that someone from the community could invest this way. I loved their food. I hope I'll love it again. But I really, really hope that they add some healthier options to the menu too! I haven't tried the food truck, but, I'd be able to visit more if it were healthier.
What type of "healthy" food are you going to serve to where you can give someone a full meal for $4? That's kinda the problem with why poor people are so much more unhealthy than those with money.

Old 03-09-2020, 05:03 AM

1,005 posts, read 728,458 times
Salad. Low sodium soups. Dish wish a side of rice and steamed seafood. All three would fit the cuisine. They're charging $8 for just Fish and hushpuppies, so your $4 is half of their food truck menu. I doubt their brick and mortar will drop prices. You can do all three of what I've listed here for $8.

Old 03-09-2020, 10:36 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,362,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
What type of "healthy" food are you going to serve to where you can give someone a full meal for $4? That's kinda the problem with why poor people are so much more unhealthy than those with money.

The problem I've seen is mostly the lack of access to fresh produce. I lived in areas where _ _ supermarket had produce that was already going bad...this was a consistent problem. Farmer's markets aren't always near either.

Another problem I see is just people not knowing how to budget their time wisely. I saw people working at least two jobs and so it was difficult for them to balance their time. Sometimes sacrifices have to be made. When I'm short on time, I don't mind cooking 2-3 meals that last me most of the week. I know some get tired of the same thing, but I'd rather eat healthy than eat the things I see so many eat.

I'm pretty sure a lot of poor/middle class people will find a way to "afford" Bankhead Seafood. There's always credit...

Old 03-10-2020, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seussie View Post
Salad. Low sodium soups. Dish wish a side of rice and steamed seafood. All three would fit the cuisine. They're charging $8 for just Fish and hushpuppies, so your $4 is half of their food truck menu. I doubt their brick and mortar will drop prices. You can do all three of what I've listed here for $8.
And you're going to be able to feed a family with kids with a $4 salad? You don't seem to get it. And there is nothing healthy about rice either. Bankhead seafood was a staple over there because they could make a lot of food stretch for poor people. Nobody is going to go there to spend $4 on a kale salad that's not going to get anyone full chief. The $4.50 meals were what kept that place going so long, that's kinda the point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: