Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2008, 10:02 AM

4 posts, read 10,209 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

My husband might be relocating us to Altanta! I need help figuring out where to look for a home. We have a 3 year old and we're trying for more. We want good schools in a nice community but also a relatively short commute for him to Atlanta; max of 30-45 min, if possible?

We're hoping to allow me to stay home with the kids, so we're not looking for the ultra expensive communities, but we don't want to end up in a neighborhood with less than desirable schools. We live (and grew up) in the suburbs of Boston, so we are completely unfamiliar with the area, outside of business trips to downtown Atlanta we both have taken in the past 2 years.

I have been reading through the different threads and have learned a lot about areas with good schools and areas with better commutes, but they don't seem to always match! Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Megan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 10:12 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,088,914 times
Perhaps what would be helpful would be the following questions answered:

1. Where exactly will your husband be working?
2. What is your price range?

Good luck!

Old 10-02-2008, 10:29 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times
Where/which part of the metro area-- will your DH be working?
What is your price range?

East Cobb County has many excellent schools and there would be a 30-45 minute commute to downtown Atlanta from this area.
We may be moving to the ATL, GA area. What are some beautiful suberbs with excellent schools?

City of Decatur is family friendly, walkable and has an excellent school system with a similar commute time to many parts of Atlanta.
Where to live in Decatur?

We have had a critical gas shortage during the past 2/3 weeks following Hurricane Ike in the Houston area. It really is important to live close to work here.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:33 AM

Hi- thanks for responding!

I am not sure of the address, but it's in downtown Atlanta. That probably doesn't narrow it much; I am thinking of downtown on the scale of downtown Boston (a few miles) and I'm sure downtown Atlanta is larger than that! I'll work on getting the specific location.

As for price range... I am hoping under $300. I am able to find A LOT for that price (via realtor dot com) in areas that seem to be fine according to other threads I've read, but I don't know what's realisitic. I also don't know what the driving/commuting times are for these locations outside of the actual distance from the map.

What would help is if I could start with areas that have good schools AND a somewhat shorter commute to "downtown" Atlanta, and then I'll work through the price issue after.

Thanks!

Old 10-02-2008, 10:45 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meg'n'z View Post
Hi- thanks for responding!

I am not sure of the address, but it's in downtown Atlanta. That probably doesn't narrow it much; I am thinking of downtown on the scale of downtown Boston (a few miles) and I'm sure downtown Atlanta is larger than that! I'll work on getting the specific location.

As for price range... I am hoping under $300. I am able to find A LOT for that price (via realtor dot com) in areas that seem to be fine according to other threads I've read, but I don't know what's realisitic. I also don't know what the driving/commuting times are for these locations outside of the actual distance from the map.

What would help is if I could start with areas that have good schools AND a somewhat shorter commute to "downtown" Atlanta, and then I'll work through the price issue after.

Thanks!

In the first link I posted 'GF72' provided a great deal of FYI on subdivisions/schools in the northern suburbs--East Cobb, Roswell, Alpharetta and others.

City of Decatur would be closer --good school system, access to MARTA/possibly 20-30 minute commute and some areas have homes in your price range and a more urban environment. There are several other intown neighborhoods that might also offer the lifestyle you hope to enjoy. I believe the links I posted provide more detailed FYI.

Last edited by TakeAhike; 10-02-2008 at 11:12 AM..

Old 10-02-2008, 11:16 AM

Thanks, I'll check them out!

Old 10-02-2008, 06:45 PM

74 posts, read 173,690 times
[SIZE=3]If you’re going to work in Atlanta look to the northeast and come up to Gwinnett County. In Gwinnett we have some of the best schools in the country, academically and athletically. With the growth over the last decade there has been more and more school involvement with and by the community. Grayson, Brookwood, South Gwinnett, and Parkview along with Greater Atlanta Christian School are some of the best schools anywhere academically and athletically.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]The Hwy 78 / 124 corridor is one of the best places to live in the metro Atlanta area with great shopping, commute to work, restaurants, entertainment and local social activities. The grid of interstate and rural highways can put you anywhere on the north side of Atlanta within 30 to 45 minutes. The malls are all within minutes, Gwinnett Place is 15 minutes down Ronald Regan Highway; Mall of Georgia is 20 minutes up Hwy 20; Stonecrest Mall is 25 minutes down Hwy 124; and there is The Avenue at Webb Ginn House in the middle on Hwy 124. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]If you have children they have the best athletic programs in the metro area. These programs swimming, softball, baseball, football, tennis, etc. all feed into the local schools such as Brookwood, Parkview, Greater Atlanta Christian School and Grayson High Schools which have some of the country’s top rated teams along with being rated as the top academic schools in the country this year.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]The housing market is full of homes in great subdivisons built after 1990 and right now is the time to buy with interest rates still low and if you have good credit you can buy with a FHA loan with 3.5% downpayment. There is a 10 month inventory and some great buys. Come and see Gwinnett, I believe you will be glad you did. [/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta