Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2010, 05:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,113 times

Advertisements

What might one come to expect there who has lived in Southern California his whole life??? I have an uncle down there but I've never met him so I really don't know anyone, but at least if I got into some form of really needing help he's there. I plan on getting my own room to rent out there for now. I still got a lot of saving up to do for the move process and to have extra money before I settle in and have a form of income. I'm thinking around 4-5 g's should do it. I'm almost 23, single, and would put my schooling on hold, but I feel like it's now or never in my life type deal. I figured starting back up in school out there would help me get acquainted with people anyways and keep me busy. I like San Diego but not to live in especially the spot I'm in right now, plus the cost of living is expensive out here, and I kinda want to go somewhere else for the whole "on my own" experience. I've had my own place before, but never out of state. Any advise from someone who's relocated to somewhere far like this or in whatever form of way you could help would be appreciated. I want to do this right so I don't have to come crawling back home on my knees to mommy LOL...Also any advise or info from those who live in Georgia who know of good, decent areas of Atlanta that are affordable yet safe and cool for the younger adult crowed such as myself. I currently work in the areas of hospitality for luxury condo's, so I hope to find something of that nature such as a door man, valet parking or what have you. My major concern is all the negative talk of unemployment and no luck with finding jobs I've read on other threads here. Def a let down. Eventually, however, I would like to get into the medical field after finishing school. I'm pretty serious about this and as mentioned above would like this to all work out correctly if it goes down by mid next year. I understand how risky and even dangerous this is, but I'm all for taking risk sometimes in life, and this will probably be my biggest...I'm pretty much set on Atlanta. Those who I know that have been there have had nothing but good things to say about it, but I understand it could be very well be a serious culture shock for some one such as myself. Thanks for taking the time to read this...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 05:50 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,510,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ya_boi_ant View Post
What might one come to expect there who has lived in Southern California his whole life??? I have an uncle down there but I've never met him so I really don't know anyone, but at least if I got into some form of really needing help he's there. I plan on getting my own room to rent out there for now. I still got a lot of saving up to do for the move process and to have extra money before I settle in and have a form of income. I'm thinking around 4-5 g's should do it. I'm almost 23, single, and would put my schooling on hold, but I feel like it's now or never in my life type deal. I figured starting back up in school out there would help me get acquainted with people anyways and keep me busy.

I like San Diego but not to live in especially the spot I'm in right now, plus the cost of living is expensive out here, and I kinda want to go somewhere else for the whole "on my own" experience. I've had my own place before, but never out of state. Any advise from someone who's relocated to somewhere far like this or in whatever form of way you could help would be appreciated. I want to do this right so I don't have to come crawling back home on my knees to mommy LOL...

Also any advise or info from those who live in Georgia who know of good, decent areas of Atlanta that are affordable yet safe and cool for the younger adult crowed such as myself. I currently work in the areas of hospitality for luxury condo's, so I hope to find something of that nature such as a door man, valet parking or what have you. My major concern is all the negative talk of unemployment and no luck with finding jobs I've read on other threads here. Def a let down.

Eventually, however, I would like to get into the medical field after finishing school. I'm pretty serious about this and as mentioned above would like this to all work out correctly if it goes down by mid next year. I understand how risky and even dangerous this is, but I'm all for taking risk sometimes in life, and this will probably be my biggest...I'm pretty much set on Atlanta. Those who I know that have been there have had nothing but good things to say about it, but I understand it could be very well be a serious culture shock for some one such as myself. Thanks for taking the time to read this...
You need to do some planning-- find out a lot more about Atlanta and that means researching for yourself--Cost of Living, which areas might be best for you and have an 'emergency plan'.

$4-5,000 is not enough to get started here.

You need to complete the schooling before relocating and you need to find potential employers.
How is Everyone Finding Jobs before They Move to Atlanta?

Here's an example of a post that is indicative of an individual who is prepared to relocate to Atlanta successfully>>>
Relocating from San Diego to Atlanta

and
Moving from Cali to GA, any suggestions?
See post #4
Cost of Living>>>
Financial questions (cost of living)

Last edited by TakeAhike; 09-22-2010 at 06:52 PM..

Old 09-23-2010, 11:23 AM

282 posts, read 635,192 times
Atlanta cost a lot of money, you may want to pick a more affordable city.

Old 09-23-2010, 04:32 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,115,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMcFly View Post
Atlanta cost a lot of money, you may want to pick a more affordable city.
Compared to what? It's cheaper here than the coasts, and less expensive in many respects than where I came from in the Twin Cities.

Maybe if you want to live in Des Moines. (Sorry Iowegians)

Old 09-23-2010, 06:31 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,816,448 times
Expect that this is not Southern California. It is also not any of the stereotypes of the South that you may be thinking of. Yes, housing is much much cheaper but it is a very different lifestyle. Not worse, but different. I do think that this is one of the most affordable "world class" cities with a warm climate and natives with warm hearts, but the reality is that it is filled with transplants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta