Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 06:23 PM

55 posts, read 173,804 times

Advertisements

I am relocating in about two weeks from Florida. We made a mistake by not researching before we moved to West Palm Beach so we are leaving no rock unturned. I am from NY and my man is from CHI Town. Any of our peoples out THERE????? I visited ATL and fell in love with it. How do you feel about ATL? I mean I know we will always have a warm spot for our own city....but do you love it?, where to shop?, where to party?, where to get my nails done, hair done you know the important stuff....LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 06:46 PM

23,459 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Although I am a native Atlantan, my path in life took me to central FL, suburban Washington DC, Brooklyn, NY, south FL and back to Atlanta. I love it here...have to say south FL was my least favorite place outside of Atlanta to live, Brooklyn my favorite...always a daily adventure to live in Brooklyn.
Keep an open mind and I suspect you will like it here far more than WPB. Don't know where you have chosen to live here, but there are a variety of choices in terms of lifestyle. Best of luck.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:30 PM

Yeah Brooklyn is an adventure!!!!! I will be living near Emory College. And yes WPB was my LEAST favorite place on the planet

Old 01-02-2009, 03:55 PM

239 posts, read 922,653 times
I'm from Jamaica Queens... Close to Emory University should be a good spot for you. You're right in the Decatur area and well in reach of Downtown, Midtown, Buckhead, Virginia Highland, Castleberry Hill, Little 5 (think a smaller scale version of the Village) etc. You're relatively close to everything actually. All of the places I just mentioned will offer food/shopping/partying. I'll leave it to the ladies to refer nails and hair.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:07 PM

110 posts, read 438,721 times
atlanta is a smaller version of NYC. more laid back. but they have mostly everything NYC has just not so hectic. im from NYC and i live in atlanta and travel every week between NYC and ATL.
By the way I love FLORIDA. But Florida is a tropical. u can not expect same things from FL like u get in NYC

Old 01-03-2009, 09:24 AM

431 posts, read 2,125,491 times
There are definitely tons of people here from NY. I've also met several from Chicago. You guys will probably find lots to do in Atlanta, especially compared to West Palm Beach, but at a much slower pace than NY or Chi-town. You have to look for stuff to do here. It's not like in NY where you're just walking down the street minding your own business, and stumble upon some activity taking place. The thing that I find hard to get used to about Atlanta is that for a city so big, you don't really see people in the street. You have to drive everywhere. That takes away from the sense that you are actually in a real city. It's definitely a step up from any city in Florida, but don't try to compare it to NY or Chicago or you will be disappointed. I will say this, I miss NY terribly, but I'm in my late 30s now, and the slower pace down here is starting to grow on me. Plus, I'm tired of moving. I lived in Orlando and am quite familiar with Central and South FL> thanks, but no thanks. FL is great for a vacation but I wouldn't live there again.

p.s. I see from your screenname, you might be bajan. If so, well then you can try the dominican hair salons to get your hair did (LOL). I moved here 3 yrs ago and the only spots were in Norcross. Now the dominican hair salons are popping up like mushrooms but mostly in gwinnett county.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:18 AM

341 posts, read 1,337,667 times
From that Low end baby ( 89th & Saginaw to be exact) Bessemer Park/ Rainbow Beach stand up!!!!
There are allot more people from NYC than Chicago here in Atlanta. Chicago people tend to go out west to Vegas or the Bay area more so than here in Atlanta. Cant speak for NYC, but Atlanta beats Chicago hands down!!!!

Old 01-03-2009, 01:41 PM

23,459 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Virgo Child View Post
From that Low end baby ( 89th & Saginaw to be exact) Bessemer Park/ Rainbow Beach stand up!!!!
There are allot more people from NYC than Chicago here in Atlanta. Chicago people tend to go out west to Vegas or the Bay area more so than here in Atlanta. Cant speak for NYC, but Atlanta beats Chicago hands down!!!!
Apparently, the #1 state from which GA draws transplants is FL, followed by NY.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:27 AM

THANKS SO MUCH GUYS I AM SO HAPPY I FOUND THIS FORUM!!!!!! It has been very helpful. And yes for the very smart person that noticed my peoples are Bajan. My Mom and Dad both, but I was born in Brooklyn raised in Queens. So of course my next question was gonna be where are the West Indians resturants and Soca parties???? I am glad I picked a good spot to live then. KEEP THE MESSAGES COMING. I WILL CHECK THIS THREAD DAILY FOR NEW INFO.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:10 PM

431 posts, read 2,125,491 times
Default West Indians

Well, my understanding is that alot of West Indians are in the Stone Mountain area. I don't think too many. They won't stand out like in FL and definitely not like in NY. I miss the West Indian culture and the soca parties. I grew up in Brooklyn, went to high school in Jamaica, Queens. I was hard core into the Caribbean scene and been to Trinidad twice for Carnival. Atlanta is still very much American, black 'n white. Not too much culture, in my opinion. But that is slowly changing. There is a West Indian Carnival on Memorial Day weekend. I haven't been yet but it does exist. With the number of Floridians moving up this way, I'm sure you will find more diversity. So come on up. We could use a few good Bajans to liven things up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta